A double in the rain!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by droptine, May 1, 2006.

1. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    First, the story (sorry, it's kinda long):

I can't tell the hunt story without backing up to Friday night. A buddy and I went out Friday evening and spotted one lone turkey feeding in the corner of a field with 3 deer. We were able to get to within about 150 yards of the bird and heard him fly up to roost right before dark. We only heard and saw the one bird. We didn't get a real good look at him, but he looked big and sounded big when he flew up, so we figured he was probably a gobbler.

We agreed to meet Saturday morning at 5:30 and work our way along a wooded creek that runs through the field where he was at. It was starting to get a little light when I sent my buddy into the field with 2 hen decoys.

We set up about 150 yards away from the woods where the bird was roosting. We knew that he'd flown up really close to the field and we didn't want to chance spooking him. We got set up and I began with some soft tree yelps....and got no response. I continued calling off and on with different calls to sound like a small group of hens. The only gobble we heard sounded like it was a half mile away.

At about 6:20, a bird pitched out of the trees and glided across the field and landed right in our group of decoys. He was followed by another bird who landed about 30 yards out and worked his way in. They were both nice birds. Another bird glided in as well, but it looked to be a small jake. Only anticipating one bird, my shotgun was laying in my lap. I had intended to let my buddy have the shot. We did however, work out a signal to shoot should there be more than one bird.

Both birds worked around the decoys seemingly looking right at me as I tried to raise my gun. The first bird then proceded to get on top of my decoy and was trying to do his business. Meanwhile, the other bird was in a half strut, watching the whole thing. I was able to raise my gun and get a bead on the first bird. I then putted 4 times. Our signal to shoot was on the 3rd putt, but in my excitement, I ended up putting 4 times. Anyway, we touched off at almost the exact same time....dropping both birds where they stood. (mine, off the top of my flattened decoy). We were so excited as we jumped up and ran to our birds. Everything had come together perfectly.

We stepped off the shot at 12 yards. Both birds weighed right at 21 lbs. My buddy's bird had two beards; a 10.5 incher and a 7.25 incher. Mine's beard had one strand that measured out to 11 inches. Niether bird had a single pellet in the breast. Actually, you can probably see what happened to my bird's head...there wasn't much left. We were out of the woods by 7:00....very wet, but very happy.

Turkeys aren't real purty when they're soaked. (I'm the ugly bugger on the right, btw)

2. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    My buddy's bird with the double beard.

3. r2ahunter

r2ahunter New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    down on the farm
  4. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
  5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    Nice job droptine! I love the double beard too! I always look for one right after I get done looking at the spurs when I get a bird.

Those buggers are WET! :eek:

Parker

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Very nice, way to go!

7. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    ALRIGHT Matt(s)!!!! That is awesome. Maybe we can do that on some deer up at Maryville this year! (Sure hope that works out!)

8. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    Hey Justin, you have a U2U. My email's down.

9. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Droptine, congrats to you and your buddy!!:eek:

Jack

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Great job Droptine! Congrats and well done!

11. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Alright then ~ a double! :banana:

Way to go...

12. BigJake

BigJake New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Congrats Droptine!

Nice birds and a great story!

13. I am gonna have to get a bird this year, you guys are making me envious,nice birds:wink4:(that was me friday night)

14. droptine

droptine New Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Jeff City
    Thanks guys. It was really special for us. We've been hunting together for a long time and we've had opportunities at doubling up, but we always seemed to find a way to mess it up. We were just amazed that nothing went wrong. We both had our guns loaded, both safeties off at the shot, and the birds cooperated.

I was just completely amazed at what that load of number 6's did to that bird. It about took his head off.

15. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nice birds! Congratulations!:eek:

16. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Thats sweet on the double...makes sitting in the rain almost worth it!!!

17. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
  18. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Pulverized turkey head. That load of 6's did more than :bangin: and :stickfight: put together. :eek: