A day every shed hunter dreams of!

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by MOruthunter, Feb 29, 2016.

1. MOruthunter

MOruthunter Active Member

Got him scored..171 without spread. The side with the kicker was 94 and some change! And the small side was 77!

20' likes this.
  2. Ringer

Ringer Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Mid MO
    Wow what a great find! It's what I picture in my head every time I go looking :). That is a big chunk he tore out on the one antler, can you show a better pic of that pedicle to see how much of his head he tore off. :)

3. MOruthunter

MOruthunter Active Member

Yes I will!! I really hope this deer survives! No one has ever seen this bruiser!!

4. GPS

GPS Member

Nov 18, 2013
    How does one go about scoring a single antler?

5. Steelman

Steelman Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    When you measure a buck with two antlers, you only measure one side at a time. :D

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Yes, mass measurements in all the appropriate places and tine lengths. You just cannot get exact on the spread credit, if you are into that sorta thing.

7. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    It is a big chunk but it happens and the deer survives but I wonder if he grows another set the next year the same size?

proxy.jpg

20' likes this.
  8. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    I had one three years ago that had always been a 8point. At the end of the rut i had him on several cams , he had lost a antler fighting . i followed the pictures and found the broken off antler with at least 3 inches of skull . He had a big hole in his head and disappeared soon after. He showed up the next year but when the antler grew it was not contained by the pedical well. I wanted to just wt him and see what would happen. THE NEXT RIFLE SEASON HE WAS BUSY with rutting and he broke the same antler all the way off. ONLY THIS TIME HE USED WILD PEAR BRANCHES TO I GUESS HEAL THE WOUND AND KEPT RUTTING. i FOUND HIS NORMAL SIDE . This year he did not appear he would have been 9 years old.

9. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Dehorned cattle are left with a fairly sized hole when the horn is removed. Other than being a little unsteady on their legs immediately following the removal . There is no ill effect long term. With the amount left in the pic of that shed antler in the pic, I would be surprised if there wouldn't be an issue or negative effect to that particular side.

20' likes this.
  10. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    thumbnail (46).jpg I think sometimes this is the cause for junk around the bottom of some racks. Years ago i shot a 14 pointer that was 23 3/4" wide, He was actually a main frame 8 with a bunch of crazy points coming out from the base going straight back. Some of them 6-9 inches long, and heavy. His spread was due to, on his right side the base of the antler was completely down on the side of his head about an 1/8" from his eye ball, which caused the great spread. I used to have several pictures but they burnt along with the mount except these couple, and I can only find this one, which you can't really see it or the extra points at all. It was either from this type shedding, or he had had a very bad injury at some time,for his antler to come out that low on his head. I1412026932.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    90acres likes this.