A county or several county deer census.

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Thayer, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    I have a couple of friends that have the ability and desire to start a deer census using trail cameras for a deer census study. What we are looking for are people in the same county, different parts of that county, to hold a census study to determine where the herd is in dynamics structure.

It is in the planning process right now, but if there was enuf interest in doing something like this, please let me know.

You would be able to keep your trail camera pics and area protected from others peoples eyes due to putting your pics in a folder on a website designed to accumulate all the data. Privacy would be of the utmost importance. Only the few people involved in retrieving the data would be privelaged to look at your photos, and would be restricted to using them for just the census.

There would be a set model for your trail camera setup, and informational software would be used to store the data....

It is just an idea at this point...thought it would give some real, hard data for the deer hunters in Missouri to chew on....

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I would be interested...I am in Saline county, but can put one up in Boone, and Putnam counties....

3. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Good, now if we can just get a few more interested. We are wanting to have about eight from a county to conduct a trail camera sensus. Your anonimity(sp?) will be supported by all means accessible.

4. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    I'm Game! I could cover any of the three Ralls,Monroe, and Audrain if nobody else wants them!:wave:

5. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Well, I don't have a trail cam, but if one was provided for the study then I'd be more than happy to help out in MONTGOMERY CO.

6. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    1- Franklin County
    1- Boone
    1- Audrain
    1- Ralls
    1- Putnam
    1- Monroe
    2-Mercer
    1- Christian

Need a few more people in these counties. Preferably, not neighbors.

7. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Heck, I'll MOVE to Montgomery Co if a camera is included in the deal! :hysterical:

8. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    Lefty, we are trying to get a trail camera manufacturer on board with this project...As more interest is garnered and the significance of a real time deer study is noticed by our Dept of Conservation...who knows what can happen if they like the idea.

9. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    We are trying to get the bait used for the study locations, software for the data collection, and cameras for the usage of the participants, and a consultant named Bryan Kinkel to oversee the project, all at a very reasonable cost...but I don't see everything being provided for free, not quite at this point.

10. jason6517

jason6517 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Kansas City, Mo.
    What about Mercer co? If you are doing a study in that county i'm going to pick up a few cameras this summer

11. T- Bone

T- Bone New Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Wayne County Iowa
    I'll help Jason6517 out in Mercer County that would be 2 in that county.

12. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Well, just let me know I guess! I'd be more than happy to go out and check and post the pics and whatever else you need a few days a week!

13. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    I am trying to get Buckspy to furnish the basic software to the participants. You would be able to store your pics in the program and provide the information about doe, bucks, and fawns and download that info into a central server where we could decipher the info into buck to doe ratios and deer/ square mile quantities...Baitsites would need to be prebaited and used frequently by the deer. Bucks would have to have antlers to determine which bucks you are counting, so later in the year is what we are shooting for. We would also like to see if we could set certain characteristics on the data obtained...for instance, is this property managed for high deer numbers or buck to doe ratios? Just kind of some ways to see how different areas and different managing style affect the Missouri deer herd, if at all. We are pursuing lots of wildlife professionals on this project, to get their opinions on how to conduct such a survey without alot of unnecessary and useless data. Hope you all are interested in this...we might be able to get vouchers for discounts on trail cameras if things start to come to fruitition.

14. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    im in southwest missouri, christain county and be glad ta help out... iffin you wanted data from our neck of the woods

15. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    We have put the idea to a prominent whitetail scientist and a very well known trail camera guru. I would say that their replys were more than skeptical about the idea. If my buddy at Buckspy can work some majic we might get a few camera companies to go along with this and provide cameras at a cost....the downside...all who agree to do the survey will have to follow strick guidelines to insure good data retrieval and proper insertion of data into the software program and downloaded to the central server where we can go over the numbers and pics to verify data. We don't care about your names or exactly where your property is...we are looking for approximate locations, North Macon county, east Christian county...and so on. This would be a first for the deer hunting community...a real time, visual, census of the animal that we are so fond of.

First question...do you think you are good enuf to tell the difference between 2 1/2 year old antlered bucks and 3 1/2 year old antlered bucks? Aging properly will be critical.

Stay tuned...lots of good info to follow.

16. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Sounds good so far Thayer!

Just let us know what your cost would be... I'm looking to buy a game camera anyways!

17. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    I've been wanting to get buckspy software for 2 years now! I can't wait:eek::eek:

18. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Anyone else for Randolph county? If not could possibly go with Cole.

19. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

If your gonna use your place for southern Randolph,,we could use one of the farms north of Huntsville for the Northern half. Randolph is small enough, north and south should work for it.

:cheers::cheers: