A boy and his first bushy tail!!

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by Pastor, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Started out as a teal hunt but wound up looking more like a goose hunt and ended up being a squirrel hunt. He was pleased as punch. Nothing like sneaking around in some timber with your boy by your side praying that the squirrel you just saw sits there long enough to get him a clear shot. Squirrel jumped up on a stump at about 17 yards and posed just right and gave him the time he needed to settle the gun and shoot. Pow!!!! The squirrel does a back flip and hoots and shouts filled the air. High fives and hugs and we were glowing in pride. I'm gonna preserve the hide and we kept the hull. Love this stuff!!! 20170916_070041.jpg 20170916_074638.jpg 20170916_091847.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    BigJay, Maddog3355, MOFish20 and 6 others like this.
  2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Preserve some drippins for gravy too. Enjoy these firsts. They are priceless. :tup:
    Pastor likes this.

3. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Good stuff getting kids out enjoying the outdoors. :clap:
  4. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Trimmed and Fleshed. 20170917_005935.jpg Snapped a picture before I flipped it over and smothered it in borax.
    Maddog3355 and bluecan like this.
  5. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    It doesn't get any better.
    Pastor likes this.
  6. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I think he's wanting grandma to make dumplings with it!!
  7. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    I remember my first squirrel. A big ole fox squirrel. I also was standing right next to my daddy. You never forget this stuff.

SNIDER Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Puxico, Mo.
    I was 7 when my Dad got back from a POW camp in Germany and he Couldn't stand loud popping sounds like a Gun Shot or Fireworks so me and my buddys did it on our ow by chasing rabbits in the Cotton fields and woods down in SE MO. Dad finally got over his war thing but by that time I was in St Louis,
    Pastor likes this.
  9. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    Doesn't get any better than this. I to shot my first squirrel with my Dad, and his best friend, who I latter in my mid 20's was a labor supervisor for his construction company. I was 10 years old, and it was also a big ol fox squirrel. I am now 63 years old, and my Dad has been gone for several years. One of the first things I think of when remembering my Dad is that first squirrel, which is often. His friend also became mine, and he is now bouncing around 80 years old. This hunt has surfaced several times over the years in conversations between us. The best things a man can give a boy, or a Father his Son, cost nothing----which is a "Good Example", and GOD---Good Orderly Direction.
    Pastor and sharps4590 like this.
  10. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

May 15, 2003
    Pastor likes this.
  11. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Nice work, my opening day teal looked a lot like that picture too :banging:

That's ok I just hope they are still there in Oct
    Pastor likes this.
  12. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    Two trophies was harvested that day. The first squirrel for the Son, and the look on that boy's face for the Dad.
    Pastor likes this.
  13. dhaverstick

dhaverstick High-tech Hillbilly

Jan 12, 2012
    Fair Grove, MO
    It don't get no better than that!

Pastor likes this.
  14. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Good stuff Pastor.
    Pastor likes this.
  15. Ohdeer

Ohdeer Active Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Great story! Best part is he got that experience in with you. I have a 6-year-old and a whole lot of firsts ahead. I imagine that smile is something you'll never forget. Congratulations, Pastor (and son).
    Pastor likes this.
  16. Hooks

Hooks Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Down the bayou
    Good stuff
    Pastor likes this.
  17. MOFish20

MOFish20 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I can still see my first squirrel falling out of the tree many moons ago, standing with my dad and bro. I even let out a war whoop after I saw it fall and had no idea where that yell came from, something primal i guess. He'll never forget it, nice work dad!
    DCSarchette and Pastor like this.