a big question

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Bowkil, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    i bought a bunch of golden chufa. this stuff is really expensive. my question is can grow a few in my garden and when they reach maturity, can i cut the tubers off and plant those? will they grow into a chuffa plant?
    this year im goiing crazy on foodplot seed.
    thanks good growin!

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I've never grown any chufa. I've also never heard of golden chufa before. I may do a google on chufa and see if the answer is there.

:cheers::cheers:

3. henry

answer

DESCRIPTION
    Chufa is a perennial sedge that produces small tubers (½ - ¾ inch or less in diameter) underground in a chain-like fashion. The top of the plant is grass-like from 6-36 inches tall.

Chufa.

CULTURE
    Chufa is planted in late spring to midsummer by dropping the dried tubers 6-12 inches apart in rows spaced 2-3 feet apart. Planting rate is 15-40 pounds per acre. The tuber develops into a plant with several tubers bunched together directly beneath the plant and a few stragglers some distance away. Although bunched together, each nut is attached to a thin underground stem (rhizome) that connects the single tuber to the growing shoot.

USE
    While seldom grown as a food item in home gardens, chufas were grown on about 2,000 farms mostly in Florida in the United States in 1944. In 1941, 7,000 acres were planted for hog pasture in Florida and over 3,000 bushels were dug from 170 additional acres. The nuts weigh about 44 pounds per bushel. In the 1980s, chufas are still grown for livestock feed on a few farms in the Florida Panhandle.

It sounds like if you dry the tubers (or nuts) they are what you plant to raise more chufa.

4. Goldtip

Goldtip New Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Santa Fe MO
    I've got a 15lb bucket of chufa to plant this spring. I hope it's still good, I've had it for a year and half now. Great info Henry!!:eek:

5. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    awesome! thanks for doing that. since i live out in the boon docks i have a very slow internet.
    im plantin this on fathers day, so it will be all matured when bowseason opens. deer will be eating it and so will the turkeys. perfect for bow! ill save a few tubers for next year. thanks!

6. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    I am going to guess that you kept your chufas in the basement...or a cool and dry place???? I hope you did. If your turkeys are like ours, your chufas won't last till bow season. Once they find them, the turks turn into hogs. Oh...and if you have any wild hogs...they will find them too.

7. henry

I have heard reports on both sides of the fence about chufa. Some report turkey just tearing them up, and others can't seem to get any interest in them. I wonder if soil types dictate how turkey will respond??? Maybe harder soils just make it difficult for turkey to dig em up. I wonder if a guy needs to take a field cultivator or something and rip the ground up after the tubers mature???

8. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    yeahit said before the "harvest" you need to dig up a few plants and expose the tubers then the turkeys find the rest by stractchin. i hope they grow good where im at!