***___ Law Enforcement Only Need Reply ___***

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by SNA2STL, Nov 9, 2010.

1. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

It has been several years now, what do you think, is it working?

H. R. 218
    One Hundred Eighth Congress
    of the
    United States of America
    AT THE SECOND SESSION
    Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday,
    the twentieth day of January, two thousand and four
    An Act
    To amend title 18, United States Code, to exempt qualified current and former
    law enforcement officers from State laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed
    handguns.
    Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of
    the United States of America in Congress assembled,
    SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
    This Act may be cited as the ‘‘Law Enforcement Officers Safety
    Act of 2004’’.
    SEC. 2. EXEMPTION OF QUALIFIED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
    FROM STATE LAWS PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF
    CONCEALED FIREARMS.
    (a) IN GENERAL.—Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code,
    is amended by inserting after section 926A the following:
    ‘‘§ 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law
    enforcement officers
    ‘‘(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any
    State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is
    a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification
    required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm
    that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce,
    subject to subsection (b).
    ‘‘(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit
    the laws of any State that—
    ‘‘(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict
    the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
    ‘‘(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any
    State or local government property, installation, building, base,
    or park.
    ‘‘(c) As used in this section, the term ‘qualified law enforcement
    officer’ means an employee of a governmental agency who—
    ‘‘(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the
    prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the
    incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and has
    statutory powers of arrest;
    ‘‘(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    ‘‘(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the
    agency;
    ‘‘(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency
    which require the employee to regularly qualify in the use
    of a firearm;

H. R. 218—2

‘‘(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating
    or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
    ‘‘(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a
    firearm.
    ‘‘(d) The identification required by this subsection is the photographic
    identification issued by the governmental agency for which
    the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer.
    ‘‘(e) As used in this section, the term ‘firearm’ does not include—
    ‘‘(1) any machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the
    National Firearms Act);
    ‘‘(2) any firearm silencer (as defined in section 921 of this
    title); and
    ‘‘(3) any destructive device (as defined in section 921 of
    this title).’’.
    (b) CLERICAL AMENDMENT.—The table of sections for such
    chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section
    926A the following:
    ‘‘926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement officers.’’.
    SEC. 3. EXEMPTION OF QUALIFIED RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
    FROM STATE LAWS PROHIBITING THE CARRYING
    OF CONCEALED FIREARMS.
    (a) IN GENERAL.—Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code,
    is further amended by inserting after section 926B the following:
    ‘‘§ 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired
    law enforcement officers
    ‘‘(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any
    State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is
    a qualified retired law enforcement officer and who is carrying
    the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed
    firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign
    commerce, subject to subsection (b).
    ‘‘(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit
    the laws of any State that—
    ‘‘(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict
    the possession of concealed firearms on their property; or
    ‘‘(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any
    State or local government property, installation, building, base,
    or park.
    ‘‘(c) As used in this section, the term ‘qualified retired law
    enforcement officer’ means an individual who—
    ‘‘(1) retired in good standing from service with a public
    agency as a law enforcement officer, other than for reasons
    of mental instability;
    ‘‘(2) before such retirement, was authorized by law to
    engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation,
    or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for, any
    violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest;
    ‘‘(3)(A) before such retirement, was regularly employed as
    a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more;
    or
    ‘‘(B) retired from service with such agency, after completing
    any applicable probationary period of such service, due to a
    service-connected disability, as determined by such agency;
    ‘‘(4) has a nonforfeitable right to benefits under the retirement
    plan of the agency;

H. R. 218—3
    ‘‘(5) during the most recent 12-month period, has met,
    at the expense of the individual, the State’s standards for
    training and qualification for active law enforcement officers
    to carry firearms;
    ‘‘(6) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating
    or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
    ‘‘(7) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a
    firearm.
    ‘‘(d) The identification required by this subsection is—
    ‘‘(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from
    which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement
    officer that indicates that the individual has, not less recently
    than one year before the date the individual is carrying the
    concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency
    to meet the standards established by the agency for training
    and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry
    a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or
    ‘‘(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency
    from which the individual retired from service as a law enforcement
    officer; and
    ‘‘(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual
    resides that indicates that the individual has, not less
    recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying
    the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the
    State to meet the standards established by the State for
    training and qualification for active law enforcement officers
    to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.
    ‘‘(e) As used in this section, the term ‘firearm’ does not include—
    ‘‘(1) any machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the
    National Firearms Act);
    ‘‘(2) any firearm silencer (as defined in section 921 of this
    title); and
    ‘‘(3) a destructive device (as defined in section 921 of this
    title).’’.
    (b) CLERICAL AMENDMENT.—The table of sections for such
    chapter is further amended by inserting after the item relating
    to section 926B the following:
    ‘‘926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers.’’.
    Speaker of the House of Representatives.
    Vice President of the United States and
    President of the Senate.

2. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

Unless you want to be anonompous!

3. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    what exactly is the question??

4. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    LEO concealed carry is a very good thing.

5. SNA2STL

SNA2STL Active Member

[rquote=1888662&tid=131571&author=dpd925]what exactly is the question??[/rquote] "It has been several years now, what do you
    think, is it working?"

6. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I think it's great but of course I'm LEO :D As far as working?? I don't really understand the question. It's a great thing but what do you mean by working?

7. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Oak Grove, Missouri
    Im also in Law Enforcement, and am having a difficult time understanding what your question is. As to concealed carry, most Officers consider everyone to be armed anyway, and "should" be prepared for an armed encounter regardless what they are doing while on duty. As to off duty carry, we are still obligated to take action if we see certain crimes, which is why most of us carry off duty. Chris

8. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    working, yes, no, maybe, really havn't paid attention to any statistics which can be skewed one way or the other plus i didn't get the question either. i tell you one thing that is working, i make one heck of a witness at a crime scene if my family is there because i sure ain't gonna elevate the threat level unless just absolutely necessary.

9. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    [rquote=1888771&tid=131571&author=winger] i tell you one thing that is working, i make one heck of a witness at a crime scene if my family is there because i sure ain't gonna elevate the threat level unless just absolutely necessary.[/rquote]

x2

I very seldom carry when I am off duty, but can see why officers do. We seam to make alot of FRIENDS when on duty and never know what they are going to do or how they will act if and when they run into us off duty.

10. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1888816&tid=131571&author=riverbottomhunter][rquote=1888771&tid=131571&author=winger] i tell you one thing that is working, i make one heck of a witness at a crime scene if my family is there because i sure ain't gonna elevate the threat level unless just absolutely necessary.[/rquote]

x2

I very seldom carry when I am off duty, but can see why officers do. We seam to make alot of FRIENDS when on duty and never know what they are going to do or how they will act if and when they run into us off duty.[/rquote]

I used to think the same way about carrying off duty, until I was carjacked. Thank god I was carryin' that night, it saved my life. Ofcourse, it was St. Louis City, Most Dangerous City. I carried every day since.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    I'm not an LEO, but being prepared for the situation if it arises works...whether you need it or not. :shrug:

12. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    when i travel to st. louis, columbia or any other large city (which is not very often) I do carry, but around home its just not going to happen

13. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    That law elevates LEOs to a higher class than regular citizens, as if they are greater beings and their lives are worth more. I'm thankful for many things LEOs do, but that law wouldn't be necessary if our lawmakers were as staunch when it came to upholding the Constitution as they are about protecting those who enforce their laws. The 2nd Amendment already guarantees the right to bear arms to all Americans, not just LEOs.

14. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    [rquote=1890012&tid=131571&author=Detrhoyt]That law elevates LEOs to a higher class than regular citizens, as if they are greater beings and their lives are worth more. I'm thankful for many things LEOs do, but that law wouldn't be necessary if our lawmakers were as staunch when it came to upholding the Constitution as they are about protecting those who enforce their laws. The 2nd Amendment already guarantees the right to bear arms to all Americans, not just LEOs.[/rquote]

ha ha, you sure do look at things wrong. That law doesn't elevate LEO's to a higher class than regular citizens. What that law does is allow human beings (LEO) who has way many more enemies than any civilian citizen, the right to carry a weapon to protect themselves and you. It also keeps every Tom, Dick, and Harry who has absolutely no training with guns or firearm qualification training, from carrying a gun around with them. I personally don't want someone that has no experience with a firearm other than shooting tin cans, trying to shoot my "attacker" if I were ever in a bad situation.

15. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    But I do wish you luck with getting a deer this year!!!! :cheers:

16. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    [rquote=1890065&tid=131571&author=dpd925][rquote=1890012&tid=131571&author=Detrhoyt]That law elevates LEOs to a higher class than regular citizens, as if they are greater beings and their lives are worth more. I'm thankful for many things LEOs do, but that law wouldn't be necessary if our lawmakers were as staunch when it came to upholding the Constitution as they are about protecting those who enforce their laws. The 2nd Amendment already guarantees the right to bear arms to all Americans, not just LEOs.[/rquote]

ha ha, you sure do look at things wrong. That law doesn't elevate LEO's to a higher class than regular citizens. What that law does is allow human beings (LEO) who has way many more enemies than any civilian citizen, the right to carry a weapon to protect themselves and you. It also keeps every Tom, Dick, and Harry who has absolutely no training with guns or firearm qualification training, from carrying a gun around with them. I personally don't want someone that has no experience with a firearm other than shooting tin cans, trying to shoot my "attacker" if I were ever in a bad situation.[/rquote]

You're the one who chose to become a cop, and take on "enemies". Why that is a reason for you to have more of a right to protect yourself than anyone else has a right to protect themselves is the question.:wave:

See, your arrogance and holier-than-thou attitude was proven in one post. Why do you have to be that way? To you, we're all just a bunch of Toms, Dicks, and Harrys who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if our lives depended on it, huh? We don't have badges, so we must need protection and coddling as if we were school children, huh?

I think it is YOU who looks at things wrong. Thanks for all of the things you do, aside from acting like you're better than everyone else...:rof2:

17. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    Oh and yes, good luck in the woods to you as well.:cheers:

18. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    [rquote=1890092&tid=131571&author=Detrhoyt][rquote=1890065&tid=131571&author=dpd925][rquote=1890012&tid=131571&author=Detrhoyt]That law elevates LEOs to a higher class than regular citizens, as if they are greater beings and their lives are worth more. I'm thankful for many things LEOs do, but that law wouldn't be necessary if our lawmakers were as staunch when it came to upholding the Constitution as they are about protecting those who enforce their laws. The 2nd Amendment already guarantees the right to bear arms to all Americans, not just LEOs.[/rquote]

ha ha, you sure do look at things wrong. That law doesn't elevate LEO's to a higher class than regular citizens. What that law does is allow human beings (LEO) who has way many more enemies than any civilian citizen, the right to carry a weapon to protect themselves and you. It also keeps every Tom, Dick, and Harry who has absolutely no training with guns or firearm qualification training, from carrying a gun around with them. I personally don't want someone that has no experience with a firearm other than shooting tin cans, trying to shoot my "attacker" if I were ever in a bad situation.[/rquote]

You're the one who chose to become a cop, and take on "enemies". [/rquote]

We do it for the big paycheck :2thumbsup::2thumbsup:

19. Detrhoyt

Detrhoyt Horny D

Oct 26, 2008
    Work
    [rquote=1890110&tid=131571&author=riverbottomhunter][rquote=1890092&tid=131571&author=Detrhoyt][rquote=1890065&tid=131571&author=dpd925][rquote=1890012&tid=131571&author=Detrhoyt]That law elevates LEOs to a higher class than regular citizens, as if they are greater beings and their lives are worth more. I'm thankful for many things LEOs do, but that law wouldn't be necessary if our lawmakers were as staunch when it came to upholding the Constitution as they are about protecting those who enforce their laws. The 2nd Amendment already guarantees the right to bear arms to all Americans, not just LEOs.[/rquote]

You're the one who chose to become a cop, and take on "enemies". [/rquote]

We do it for the big paycheck :2thumbsup::2thumbsup:[/rquote]

Sssshhh!! Sir, I advise you to not let the cat out of the bag! Set it down nice and easy, and back away slowly! Remember, you're supposed to be perpetuating the myth that you all risk life and limb to protect the public at large while taking home only the most meager of salaries!:rof2:

20. dpd925

dpd925 Member

Nov 16, 2009
    [rquote=1890092&tid=131571&author=Detrhoyt][rquote=1890065&tid=131571&author=dpd925][rquote=1890012&tid=131571&author=Detrhoyt]That law elevates LEOs to a higher class than regular citizens, as if they are greater beings and their lives are worth more. I'm thankful for many things LEOs do, but that law wouldn't be necessary if our lawmakers were as staunch when it came to upholding the Constitution as they are about protecting those who enforce their laws. The 2nd Amendment already guarantees the right to bear arms to all Americans, not just LEOs.[/rquote]

You're the one who chose to become a cop, and take on "enemies". Why that is a reason for you to have more of a right to protect yourself than anyone else has a right to protect themselves is the question.:wave:

See, your arrogance and holier-than-thou attitude was proven in one post. Why do you have to be that way? To you, we're all just a bunch of Toms, Dicks, and Harrys who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if our lives depended on it, huh? We don't have badges, so we must need protection and coddling as if we were school children, huh?

I think it is YOU who looks at things wrong. Thanks for all of the things you do, aside from acting like you're better than everyone else...:rof2:[/rquote]

Well everyone certainly has the right to their opinion, which you have done and rightfully so. And no I don't think everyone is a bunch of Tom, Dick, and Harry's. As I said in my post, I don't want anyone who has not been properly trained to be walking around with guns. If someone has been through CCW training, then they have every much of a right as LEO to be carrying. Here is the problem, let's just say they allowed everyone to carry a gun. Then a bunch of people, who have no common sense what so ever, would then start carrying a gun just to be carrying. And they could make a bad situation WORSE. Am I referring to you?? I have no way of knowing, if you are properly trained and not someone who is wanting to be a gun slinging hero then I guess not. I see your point regarding the right to bear arms. I'm just saying the reason the law was created, was not to allow cops to protect themselves more than civilian citizens. It was created to allow people who have the proper training in both firearms, shooting, and handling of dangerous situations the right to carry a weapon and protect themselves and others. Look I don't expect anyone to like cops, there are alot of bad examples of cops in the world, and it gives cops a bad image. Plus no one likes to get speeding tickets :cool3: