Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had myself a little 9th inning style success yesterday afternoon. I rarely get an opportunity to hunt the last Monday and Tuesday of rifle season since I’ve been off all week during and have work to catch up on.

Yesterday I got my work done a little early and decided to catch a last ditch effort before bow season and alternative season. Couldn’t decide if I wanted to just go behind the house as I’ve had some good ones on camera, or too the farm in Macon. Didn’t honestly have a lot of expectations, so was hesitant to make the hour drive to Macon but decided to give it a whirl.

Got to the farm and crawled up in the stand about 2:20. Wasn’t expecting to have much if any movement until closer to dark so I admittedly was scrolling my phone and just trying to pass some time and enjoying the nice (not necessarily for hunting) weather. For some reason I’m not even sure why I looked up and at the edge of the CRO field about 60 yrds away I see what I think is a rack. The CRP is tall so no body or even head could be seen, just what I thought might be a rack. I watched to see if it moved and suddenly saw it change directions with the deer turning his head. He then slowly walked toward me to about 45 yards and immediately stopped and stared my direction. I already had the gun on him but didn’t look him over much and let him have it right in front of his left front shoulder as he was quartered to me a bit. He kicked his hind end up and took off running for the corner of the CRP field and out of my sight but only about 60 yrds away. Tried to go through the fence, but unsuccessfully. My first Buck on the last couple days of rifle season ever and I’m tickled with him.
Plant Wood Twig Fawn Grass
Trophy hunting Hunting Deer hunting Eye Sky
Hunting Deer hunting Sky Sleeve Gesture
Sky Automotive tire Wood Fawn Vehicle door

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,496 Posts
Great buck, no matter what inning it came in. (y)

·
Hawk Hibernator
2,194 Posts
Had myself a little 9th inning style success yesterday afternoon. I rarely get an opportunity to hunt the last Monday and Tuesday of rifle season since I’ve been off all week during and have work to catch up on.

Yesterday I got my work done a little early and decided to catch a last ditch effort before bow season and alternative season. Couldn’t decide if I wanted to just go behind the house as I’ve had some good ones on camera, or too the farm in Macon. Didn’t honestly have a lot of expectations, so was hesitant to make the hour drive to Macon but decided to give it a whirl.

Got to the farm and crawled up in the stand about 2:20. Wasn’t expecting to have much if any movement until closer to dark so I admittedly was scrolling my phone and just trying to pass some time and enjoying the nice (not necessarily for hunting) weather. For some reason I’m not even sure why I looked up and at the edge of the CRO field about 60 yrds away I see what I think is a rack. The CRP is tall so no body or even head could be seen, just what I thought might be a rack. I watched to see if it moved and suddenly saw it change directions with the deer turning his head. He then slowly walked toward me to about 45 yards and immediately stopped and stared my direction. I already had the gun on him but didn’t look him over much and let him have it right in front of his left front shoulder as he was quartered to me a bit. He kicked his hind end up and took off running for the corner of the CRP field and out of my sight but only about 60 yrds away. Tried to go through the fence, but unsuccessfully. My first Buck on the last couple days of rifle season ever and I’m tickled with him. View attachment 226482 View attachment 226483 View attachment 226484 View attachment 226485

Dats A Goodun

·
Under appreciated
90,349 Posts
Stud of a buck, just in time! Sweet.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Nice buck. Must be a lot less hunting pressure in a lot of areas compared to mine. Honest to god rarity to even see a deer, any deer, after about the 3rd or 4th day of rifle slinging in my area. And they will stay totally nocturnal until about June.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts