Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we have continued to advance. Or I should say the boys have, I usually just watch and enjoy most of the time. Wyatt can only get about 38 yards out of his slider sight with his bow. Tackett can get closer to 95-100 yards with his slider sight.
We did put a shout out to MDC at the end of the video. Thanks for the range!!! We just love archery!!! Very addicting!!!

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those boys can shoot now.
Thanks. I am amazed how much Tackett has came in 4 short years. Wyatt too. What is funny is how they hit plateaus and seem stuck for a while then they all of a sudden take huge leaps in ability.
This may sound crazy but I really think a month of YouTube and listening to as many pros as possible has really helped them understand how to get off a good shot.

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think teaching them not to try 50 plus yards shots on animals, no matter how good they are on targets would be good, but that's just my opinion.
You got me! LOL. The title is click bait!
Yes both of them will probably have very low limits which will be situational. They have both killed quite a few deer. Both have shot deer with a rifle and bow. The youngest even pistoleroed a deer in alternative when he was 9.

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing about shooting long range is it makes the 30 and 40 yard shots seem easier.
Early March was the Iowa deer classic. On some days Tackett is about tighter with his groups at 40 than he was in early March at 20 indoors shooting. New bow, new release, and a new massive pile of confidence. We walked his sight tape from 30 back to 90 on a small block target. Not even a close to missing the target bad shot. I was floored.
So yes 40 is not even a question to him after shooting 90.

·
1,954 Posts
I have been shooting long range myself and thought it would be easier than it is. There is a big difference in 60 yards to 80,90,100+. Even my .010 pins start covering things up out there. Took me awhile to set my slider up. I ended up using my bottom pin as my slider to get me out there without bottoming the sight out (4 pin slider)

I have a big Hurricane bag I shoot at but would be nervous shooting the Glendel buck that far. I missed one last year and found my arrow at 126 yards stuck in the side of the tree.

Eye Plant Working animal Natural material Natural landscape

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Fairly windy there that day looked like.

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I took the boys to their first actual scored 3D event. I had to switch out their sliders for multi pins. My 10 year old shot from some white stakes that were 20 yards and under with unknown distances. There were 40 targets, and he took 1st place with a 353. My 13 year old entered in the male bowhunter category which went up to 35 yards with unknown distance. He ended up taking 1st with a 381 in it. We all three were pretty shocked, mainly due to the fact they had to guess distances. I kept my mouth shut because I didn’t want to be the guy who guessed the distance wrong.

So on the way home I told them we were done going to shoots. This way when they get old they can tell their kids they were undefeated in 3D archery when they were younger.🤣🤣🤣

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These kiddos can shoot! I really like these updates!!!!
The best part of all these upgrades has been a secondary factor. Yes they are shooting better and better.
The true priceless thing that has happened is the, “ I can’t wait for deer season to get here!!!”
Yes that has always been the case, but now they are insanely pumped about it.
Archery can be very frustrating, but also immeasurably rewarding!!!!!!!!

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just had a HUGE light bulb moment! Why do I post this? Because I am a teacher and can't NOT share what I feel is great info when
I come across it. How I reached this AHA! moment was Tackett said, " Hey dad, guess what our 100 yard rifle target is really at 95 yards."
(if you are new to this discussion see this thread to see how we now know our rifle target was 5 yards off, Range finder cause you to miss your deer???)

BINGO! A connection was made. Our rifle target is a BLACK dishwasher that we put sticky targets on the front. All of our old range finders
almost always with out fail read black targets longer than they are and by how far off varies!

STICK WITH ME the important stuff that may help you out is coming.(if you bow hunt or shoot archery mainly)

Tackett and I wondered why he was low at 90 yards in the video at the beginning of this thread. After all we just made his sight tape a few nights before shooting this video. What connected the dots for me was discovering our 100 yard rifle target is only 95. So when we used the black block target and old range finder to make his sight tape(sight his bow in out to 90 yards) on a black block target we were probably only about 85 yards when we thought we were at 90 yards. So when we ranged 90 at the beginning of the 90 yard shooting video(beginning of this thread). We were probably 5 yards farther than his sight tape was set for.

Hope that makes sense and might explain for some of you on why you seem to hit high or low in different places with your bow. It may not be you hitting high and low in archery....might be your range finder!!!

·
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here is a thought I just had concerning this subject.

How many guys set their bow sights up to "THEIR RANGE FINDER" and do it on a BLACK BLOCK TARGET??? Then when they range other stuff their readings don't match the black block target readings so they miss, or worse wound and not kill??? We used to do exactly this.

I know a lot of guys are gonna want to blow this off as silly, but hang around a bunch of seasoned 3D archers and they will tell you it is a REAL problem.
I have seen Tackett and Wyatt make a lot of high shots or low shots on 3D targets over the summer. Shots that would NOT be kill shots on a real animal.
Me being a full time studier and coach of them could not figure out why, and they couldn't either. We now know why, bad range finder readings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts