Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone stumbles across some 90 or 95 gr .243 Win rounds for deer, I'd like to get some. Currently wanting to test a couple different factoey pills in a Rossi youth .243.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Missouri Hunting mobile app

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its not needed for hunting season. Just trying to figure what this gun likes and I'm not a hand loader.

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you haven’t tried em yet, check out the Hornady American Whitetail 100 gr in .243. It’s what my Savage prefers.
I've only shot Win PP out of it. As soon as I can find some different brands in stock, I'll try to pick them up.

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wouldn’t spend my time or money on ammo to wring out the best it’s got to offer. If you can hold about + or - 4 MOA in the Rossi with some power points it’s not going to get a whole lot better and will kill deer. 2-3 moa is probably the best it will ever do with something that it really likes.

Reactions: trapperBR549

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all my rifles seem to like PP's ..maybe not the best but certainly well with in 2 moa.='s dead deer
I've been reading that a lot of people are having luck with 90 or 95 gr out of these short barrel guns. Its ok for youth season as she won't be shoot 100 yds.

Winchester makes a 95 gr PP but .243 is pretty much non existent right now.

Reactions: beanpile

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn’t spend my time or money on ammo to wring out the best it’s got to offer. If you can hold about + or - 4 MOA in the Rossi with some power points it’s not going to get a whole lot better and will kill deer. 2-3 moa is probably the best it will ever do with something that it really likes.
I'm not looking for anything exceptional, but should be able to shoot better than 6 to 8 inch groups at 100 yds.

Reactions: Bryan Heimann

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm not looking for anything exceptional, but should be able to shoot better than 6 to 8 inch groups at 100 yds.

Daaaaaang. Good luck!

edit- assuming you’ve snugged down all the fasteners? Scope rings/base or sights…. I had a similar issue with a CVA Wolf and the front sight was slipping around, felt snug but there were wear marks that gave it away. Shooting 2-3 moa now.

Reactions: beanpile

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Daaaaaang. Good luck!

edit- assuming you’ve snugged down all the fasteners? Scope rings/base or sights…. I had a similar issue with a CVA Wolf and the front sight was slipping around, felt snug but there were wear marks that gave it away. Shooting 2-3 moa now.
And its just money...... they gov prints more everyday.

Reactions: robert rossow

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
A buddy of mine had a Rossi youth 243 and almost got rid of it because it wouldn’t shoot worth a darn with the Winchesters so he tried a box of Remington core locks and he said he could shoot 1.5 inch groups with it at 100 yards so they are ammo sensitive.
This was several years ago when we wasn’t in an ammo shortage like we are now, this year might be hard to experiment!!

·
Registered
32,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd be happy with results like this. This is from an H&R handy rifle in 243. We looked it over and found the forearm was actually resting pretty heavily on the barrel so any pressure from a rest was pressuring the barrel.

A simple float job and its shooting decent groups for a short barrel at 100 yds.
Circle Symmetry Pattern Font Symbol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts