Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 870 Express Super Mag in Realtree Hardwoods. When they camoed the gun, they camoed over the front bead. I have painted it and it will suffice until next spring when I will have a better front bead and possibly a rear aperature mounted on the gun.

My question is this: Have you replaced your front bead or do you use the factory bead? Was it painted red or white or something when you bought your gun? And finally, I've heard it from two people that the 870 beads are stamped in. Is this correct or can I unscrew the bead and replace it? I'd sure rather know before I start so I don't break it off and have NOTHING on the end of my barrel!

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, I'll have to wait for him. I tried a search and wasn't pulling up anything.

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I have the same gun Jmac...but havn't messed with the bead at all so I can't help much. Just out of curiosity...why to you want to get rid of the bead? Mine shoots great with the bead.

By the way...I'm getting ready to post some pics of the finished product!

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HS, I just wanted to put something on there with fiber optics. Specifically for turks. I may change my mind. I'll know here in a couple weeks when I start shootin at those dovies!

Post those pics! I'm dying from curiosity!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I need to get out and shoot mine...doves is a good idea!

·
19,585 Posts
Originally posted by MoBowman

Chairman can tell ya, I think he just went thru this also.
Except it was my 11-87 I was changing my sights on...

I was told that the front sight bead screwed out, so I proceeded to unscrew it.

Well ~ it was pressed in... :mad2:

Since that was the case, the new sights screws to install it with were useless, since there were no threads to speak of... :roll2:

I fixed it myself, and now I'm back in business. But what a pain...

Here's the new sight I installed on my 11-87:

[file]7629[/file]

·
19,585 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire
I just bought an 870 Express Super Mag in Realtree Hardwoods. When they camoed the gun, they camoed over the front bead. I have painted it and it will suffice until next spring when I will have a better front bead and possibly a rear aperature mounted on the gun.

Was it painted red or white or something when you bought your gun?
I also own an 870, and the front sight was painted some color I didn't care for (red, I think...), when I first got it ~ so I repainted it white, and it's been that way ever since (10 years).

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
My front bead is white also chairman on my 870.

I actually picked up a fiber optic sight kit for it that snaps on over the bead if the bead won't unscrew Jmac...might try something like that

·
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I painted mine a light orange color. Best thing about it...if I don't like it, I can paint it another color!

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
Mine is a white ceramic or ivory. I added the snap on fiber optics and just snapped the front site on just behind the original front site. It hides the factory bead nicely, but can be removed and the barrel is still in factory condition.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
i went and spent 40 bucks on the adjustalbe fiber optic rifle type sights for my benelii turkey gun the sights are all metal none of that plastic crap and with my tight choke its is a must to have the adjustalbe factor.....haven't done any wing shoting with it but i do really like it for the turks

·
19,585 Posts
Originally posted by Center Punch

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pull yours out though, drill it out slightly, and replace it with a factory screw in that's set in with JB weld.
That's exactly how I fixed mine, except I used Devcon Metal Fill & Patch Compound.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
sights on a shotgun??????
for turkeys only yeah, but for everything else, why?
if you are looking at the sights on a movin target you've
done missed.

·
Under appreciated
92,110 Posts
Originally posted by igor
sights on a shotgun??????
for turkeys only yea, but for everything else, why?
if you are looking at the sights on a movin target you've
done missed.
correctamundo Igor..
Sights like Chairman posted turn your shotgun into a special-purpose gun immediately... which is fine and dandy for turks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.