Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if anybody knew anything about this gun. my father in law just gave it to me i was wondering if you can still get ammo for it.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
thats an awsome gun.i have one that was handed down to me that my grandpa used in ww2.i believe myy dad shot his forst deer with it and i shot my first deer with it.use to be able to get ammo for it just about anywhere over the counter but in the last 10 years it has gotten harder to find but it is still out there.i need to get some more ammo and take the old gun to the range again.

·
Registered
32,192 Posts
My uncle sent my dad a 7mm mauser when he was in Vietnam. Had is sportarized and used it forever. Just recently in the last 8 years or so, he bought a .308 from a cousin. Now my stepborther uses the mauser I believe.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
the first gun i bought for deer hunting was a mauser sporterized in 270.great gun and havnt got a new one yet.just something about those old mauser actions you gotta love.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
"The cartridge is very similar to a 30-06 & appropriate for nearly all North American game." from Hornady book

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My dad has the 8mm Mauser It is pretty awesome. I shot it as a kid but haven't in a while. He had some Dominion Ammo from canada for it don't know if there still in business but it was some fast, good shootin ammo

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Originally posted by BILLYGOAT
thats an awsome gun.i have one that was handed down to me that my grandpa used in ww2.i believe myy dad shot his forst deer with it and i shot my first deer with it.use to be able to get ammo for it just about anywhere over the counter but in the last 10 years it has gotten harder to find but it is still out there.i need to get some more ammo and take the old gun to the range again.
? Which side was he on?
I had a great, great uncle that fought for the Gemans in WWI, or so the storie goes:thinking:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yeah it is still availible might have to search a little. My dad shoots remington out of it now. I dont know where he got his last batch from though.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Wow! I have a 8mm Mauser handed down from my father, from his father, my oldest is 16 so soon to be handed down to it's 4th generation owner! I killed a 7 pointer with it last month, my first deer 25 years ago and many in between. I have been shooting the Rem Core Lokt's through it...love that load. I need to have it looked at as it has started nicking the lead tip on the bullet when I chamber a shell, any tips?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Originally posted by Bronco Brian
Originally posted by BILLYGOAT
? Which side was he on?
I had a great, great uncle that fought for the Gemans in WWI, or so the storie goes:thinking:
to be honest im not sure.grandpa passed right after i was born so i never heard any stories.it is kinda a nice piece of history to have.i would like to have it looked at someday and see what the different symbals stamped into it mean and what value the gun has.i know all the numbers on the gun match except the bolt wich they said was common as they broke allot or got lost.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Fine whitetail caliber. Like Billygoat said, ammo is getting harder to find.

Our family has one. I took one deer with it. But it went through a house fire, and the barrel is slightly bent. Believe it or not, we shot it some before we noticed the flaw. I need to see if a machinist can straighten it or see if I can find another barrel for it.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
The American ammo is NOT like a .30/06, if you want good ballistics, you have to buy the European ammo, like S&B or Norma, or DWM. American ammo is watered down for the older Model 88 Commission rifles with a .318" bore.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have used the 8mm a lot. Got my first deer with it. US factory loads are fine for deer sized game at normal range, IMO.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
never had a problem at all with the american loads.it seems to kill deer dead just fine to me..:rock:the only problem is its getting harder to find and allot more $$$$ i use to be able to get it for under 10 bucks a box.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by glennasher1
The American ammo is NOT like a .30/06, if you want good ballistics, you have to buy the European ammo, like S&B or Norma, or DWM. American ammo is watered down for the older Model 88 Commission rifles with a .318" bore.
Exactly right on the model 1888 it had a .318 bore, 1905 & later had the .323 bore. on the .318 bore the loads should be reduced by 25% to start. (Hornady book)

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Originally posted by Mojorisin
Exactly right on the model 1888 it had a .318 bore, 1905 & later had the .323 bore. on the .318 bore the loads should be reduced by 25% to start. (Hornady book)
It was then renamed the 8x57 S

·
Registered
21 Posts
It was then renamed the 8x57 S
This is all dead on correct. pun intended

1 - 19 of 19 Posts