7mm mag short

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by devoted, Mar 16, 2006.

1. devoted

devoted Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Clover Bottom MO
    i am looking for a new or used deer rifle. Does anyone have an opinion on wheather they will stop making ammo for the 7mm mag short action. How safe is it to buy this gun?

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Devoted, the guns are safe but I don't know if the short mags are. If you want something with the 7mm Mag's power then why not the original 7mm Mag? Personally I do not like those fat little cartridges and I'm afraid they may be a fad. Sorta like that fancy new fishing lure that will catch fish when nothing else will. In reality what it does catch is fishermen.:roll2:

Jack

3. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    yep:D

4. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Stover, MO
    I have been in the gun business a long time and have seen a lot of "fads" come and go, some you can't even find ammo for now, or the ammo is only available certain times of the year and only offered in one load. Just a few that come to mind are .222 mag, 225 win,.307, 358, 348, 300 sav, and almost any of the "ultra mag" calibers that were so popular just a few years ago. I am afraid the short mags are going to go the same way. I would stick with a caliber that has been around a while, .270, 7 mag, 30-06, 300 win mag. There are plenty of these guns available used at great prices. Just do a little looking and don't get caught up in the latest gun writer craze. Boog

5. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Well said, Boogan. I would argue about the .300 Savage being a fad, though, it was the catalyst for the .308! And, it's been around since 1922, that's hardly a fad;). As for the .348 and .358, well, they're just fine cartridges, and the folks who never bought one, missed out big time, myself included. The others mentioned, well, they didn't do anything that another cartridge didn't already do, they were redundant.
    One of these days, I may buy a .358 BLR, just so I don't miss out on too much, or maybe build one on a Savage bolt action. The .358 is way too good to be ignored. The .348 was only available in the Winchester levergun (a modernized 1886, I think it was the 71) and with only one rifle ever chambered for it, was a hard sell (it was a costly rifle, at that).

6. Boogan1

Boogan1 Senior Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Stover, MO
    I only mentioned the 300 savage because I do have one and it has become increasingly hard to find cartridges for this great shooting old rifle. My favorite rifle is chambered in 284 winchester, another one that got overlooked. They aren't doing anything with the short mags that hasn't been done before, the gun writers just have more rags to print their ravings in. Thanks for the post glennasher1. Boog

7. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    If I were you my decision would be based on the above info. Which I will say wouldn't sway me from buying one necessarily, but I reload everything I shoot. If you are a reloader then get whatever you want to shoot, you can always stock up on casings. If you will always be buying factory ammo I would think about the traditional 7mag