Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Perry
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many years ago I bought a unused Husq. receiver and bolt and a new M-38 barrel. I also got a Spanish Mauser trigger guard and floorplate that swings open and that was supposed to fit. I then had a stock made supposedly on those items but when I got the stock it was made for the regular M-96 floor plate which left a small gap at the front. I did have the action glass bedded but set it aside and did not do anything with it. I got it out the other day and will get someone who knows how to finish a roughed out stock to do that. I will get a regular M-96 trigger guard and magazine so it will fit correctly. Does anyone use the 6.5X55? It is supposed to be very accurate and great for deer size game.

· King of Callaway
43,375 Posts
There are a few boys on here that I would take their word on it. There is even a thread somewhere that has several 6.5 calibers mentioned, I believe the general consensus was they were as good a weapon as any other.

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,067 Posts
I have a Ruger No1 in 6.5x55 Swede. It's a flat out deer killer, and very accurate.

It's the goto rifle for Scandinavian moose hunts, so ya it'll kill deer, elk, etc real dead.

Triangle Rectangle Line Font Material property

Reactions: glennasher1

75,067 Posts
For the record, the 6.5x55 Swede, will do anything the 6.5 Creedmore will do.....

Ballistics between the two are not much different.

I personaly like the Swede better, cause it don't have the dbag karma all over it that the creedmore has. :D

· Perry
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always heard good things about the Swedish Mauser 6.5X55. It is a waste to let the gun sit in the closet so I will get it finished. Good shooting Callaojoe. This will be an all new M-38 except for the bolt stop and trigger guard/magazine. I am a 98 Mauser fan for it's strength and history, I won't be loading the M-38 up with hot ammo because I am sure it is not as strong and has no safety lug. If I can find some of the cheap PPU 139 grain ammo I will try that.

· Registered
9,696 Posts
The old Swede is as good as any and better than most. One of the very, very few 6.5's I'd rate higher is the 6.5 X 57. It made its reputation in Scandinavia with the long, 156 to 160 gr. round nose, a bullet I still prefer for my 6.5 Mannlicher/Schoenauer, (the Schoenauer rotary magazine is picky about what bullet it feeds, box magazines are more forgiving), and if and when I get another Swede will load it as well.

· Registered
13,838 Posts
Of all the 6.5s (and there are a LOT of them), the 6.5x55 is my favorite. I'm not all worked up over short actions vs. long actions, I don't much care either way. The old Swede has been around long enough, and has proven itself the entire time, so that it needs none of my applause, anyway. It's just a good, solid, works-every-time old cartridge that kills stuff dead, without any fluff or hype.
Just like all the other 6.5s, 7mms, .270s, .30s, they just work. There's nothing magic about killing deer, elk, moose, whatever. Aim well, shoot straight, and stuff dies.

· Perry
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I get this gun finished I will try to get some pics. posted if I can figure out how. The stock is a beautiful piece of walnut with some good figure, it has the schobel? on the fore end and the wide panels near the receiver. I am hunting down someone that hopefully do the sanding and a little shaping and free floating the barrel without screwing it up. I don't think I want it varnished but with some kind of oil finish. With some blueing to be done on the barrel and maybe the trigger guard this may take awhile. The scope will be a 1.5X4.5 Bushnell that is gathering dust in the closet. All the good comments you guys have been making about the old 6.5X55 cartridge has spiked my interest. Hopefully this rig will shoot them well.

75,067 Posts
Best of luck, and the word you are looking for is Schnabel. A nice hand rubbed true oil finish would do nicely.

Reactions: sharps4590

· Registered
9,696 Posts

75,067 Posts
Sexy! I've seen a 6.5 Swede No1 in stainless/laminate that was sharp, but that's super slick. Great wood.
Not many like this one out there. Got real lucky when I ran across it. Most of the no1 6.5x55's are those mannlicher full stocks. I have had several people try to buy this one from me. So far have not been interested in letting it go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.