Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
My 45 rifle will shoot a 275gr at 2800fps. Does that make it NOT a deer rifle too?

Where is the cutoff that makes it NOT in your opinion because im building one now?
When it has more energy than a 458 Win Mag

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Well dont tell the guys on Dougs or Hankins boards cuz they have killed 100s if not 1000s of deer with their 45cal SMLs. ;)

Dont tell Gunwerks or Badbull or Center Punch either.....dont want to ruin it for them.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Well dont tell the guys on Dougs or Hankins boards cuz they have killed 100s if not 1000s of deer with their 45cal SMLs. ;)

Dont tell Gunwerks or Badbull or Center Punch either.....dont want to ruin it for them.
Nothing wrong with a SML for hunting. Loading a 350gr 45cal up to 3800fps for deer is the ridiculous part. Shooting does for meat at 90yds is the ridiculous part. I've never chronoed my 45BP rifle, but doubt it shoots past 2400fps with a 223gr bullet, and it drops em out to any ethical shooting range. I'm not prejudice, I think shooting does at 100yds with a 50BMG is just as ridiculous. Ever ask yourself why they aren't shooting bucks that far? 11,224ft/lbs of energy is just a bit of overkill for a 100lb doe, don't ya think?

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Just Curious ..Why are you guys shooting such a heavy grained bullet from a 45 cal BP ?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You seemed to have missed the point of the shot entirely.

Its what is called a bullet test. You know....see what how the bullet reacted. The bullet is intended for extreme range shooting as the 800+ yard shot displayed. Again you failed to grasp that also.

Its a very high BC bullet unlike anything ever made for a 458WinMag.

• Estimated Ballistic Coefficient .440 G1 at 2800 fps
  • Doppler Verified BC of .502 G1 at 3650 FPS, out of Cyclops

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
You seemed to have missed the point of the shot entirely.

Its what is called a bullet test. You know....see what how the bullet reacted. The bullet is intended for extreme range shooting as the 800+ yard shot displayed. Again you failed to grasp that also.

Its a very high BC bullet unlike anything ever made for a 458WinMag.

• Estimated Ballistic Coefficient .440 G1 at 2800 fps
  • Doppler Verified BC of .502 G1 at 3650 FPS, out of Cyclops
That wasn't a bullet test. You don't test long range bullet performance at 90yds. Ever heard of ballistic gelatin? Did you even watch the video or listen to anything that Clown**** said? He wasn't planning on recovering any bullets. I'm fully aware of what very high BC bullets are designed for, and FYI .440 isn't a very high BC, and neither is .502. It's decent but nothing impressive. Smokeless LR muzzleloaders are neat contraptions, but what they guy is doing with them makes him a Clown****.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Its super high for a muzzleloading 45cal bullet. Show me one higher.

Actually show me any jacketed flat base bullet in 45cal 350gr with a higher BC.

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Its super high for a muzzleloading 45cal bullet. Show me one higher.

Actually show me any jacketed flat base bullet in 45cal 350gr with a higher BC.
That's like being the smartest kid on the short bus.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Just Curious ..Why are you guys shooting such a heavy grained bullet from a 45 cal BP ?
So 350gr is heavy for 45cal? My 350gr lead conical is considered heavy? I use it for deer all the time now. My big bullets are 488gr.

What do you think a common weight is for a 45cal rifle bullet?

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
My only point is in the video posted, that Clown**** talks about trying to get as much meat as possible from a deer that he’s shooting with an elephant gun at 90yds thru the guts. He’s shooting a gun that has about 175% of the power a 30-06 has at the muzzle, out at 1000yds!! That’s like saying you’re meat hunting with a train. What was he “testing”? How much of it’s head was missing on the first one, or how much meat he could ruin on the second one? Clown**** nonsense no matter how you slice it. Competition shooting is a whole different story. I’m sure the bullet performs its job well in competition, but a 350gr bullet @ 3800fps has no place hunting deer.

Reactions: Mailman

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
So 350gr is heavy for 45cal? My 350gr lead conical is considered heavy? I use it for deer all the time now. My big bullets are 488gr.
Just sounds heavy to me ....I shoot a 50 cal round balls .and they are 180 grain just for reference ...So im figuring 45 has to be lighter in a round ball ....I have no experience with conicals

·
Banned
7,228 Posts
Just sounds heavy to me ....I shoot a 50 cal round balls .and they are 180 grain just for reference ...So im figuring 45 has to be lighter in a round ball ....I have no experience with conicals

350-500gr.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Thats awesome ..Cant believe your pushing that big a bullet that fast from a ml
How do you pack those down without deforming the tip ?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I usually dont hunt with my 275/2800fps rifle. Its heavier than i like for hunting. My normal load is a 350gr to 460gr under 1400fps in another rifle.

Original 45/70 was around a 405gr at maybe 1200-1400fps at most. Which later evolved in to things like 45-90 to 45-120 shooting much heavier bullets.

In the right rifle. Blackhorn209 can break 2300fps with a 275-300gr no problem. That is sort of what im building now. That easily beats most factory 45/70 ammo.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Hell i didnt even know there was a smokless ML ....
So what powder are you shooting behind these conicals ? IMR 4198 ?

101 - 120 of 126 Posts