Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
69,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 days of not seeing anything legal to shoot during the 2010 Missouri Rifle Deer Season I decided to take a young button buck for some freezer meat. I decided this season to use my Knight KRB7 .50 Caliber Muzzle Loader instead of my regular center fire rifle. The deer offered me a head on chip shot for this rifle. He stopped at 50 yards and looked in my direction. Unless it is a nice buck I usually try and take a head shot to save on loosing any meat. I'm very confident in my accuracy with all my center fire rifles and I've shot this rifle enough to know exactly where the bullet will hit clear out to 100 yards. A 3/4 inch 3 shot group attest to that from the bench. I had a shooting rail to steady my shot so I knew it would be deadly.....but I didn't know just how deadly the .50 Caliber 250 grain bullet would be when it met up with a deers head. After the smoke cleared I climbed down from my wooden tree stand and walked the 50 yards and found the top half of the deers head gone. I looked beyond the deer and there was a black oak tree with the remainder of the deers brains splattered along the trunk. I found a 1 inch by 2 inch piece of skull plate laying 15 yards beyond where the deer dropped. Needless to say I don't think the deer knew what hit him.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Good Grief....heckuva shot.

Now I really want to take my KRB out.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Whew....Id say you smoked him!!:cheers:

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
Did you have to track it very far? How was the blood trail? Was it a pass through?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
headache!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:claphands::claphands::claphands::claphands:

always wanted to do that but I have never had the chance.

·
Registered
69,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've taken many a deer with my .243 with head shots. I will add that I would never take a shot at the head unless I knew 100% that I could make it a clean kill. I've never missed one so far but I wouldn't take it unless I knew I could make it.

·
Registered
11,815 Posts
Let me find that. Somewhere there's a suggestion by one of our members that photos not be unnecessarily bloody. :whistle:

Good shot-you got meat
:cheers:

·
19,117 Posts
wow that was a 250gr SST/ftx or XTP?? i can't remember what your using, either way im sure it didn't matter to that deer

good shooting MM:cheers::cheers:

Reactions: 90acres

·
Registered
69,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[rquote=1906706&tid=132778&author=yankee]wow that was a 250gr SST/ftx or XTP?? i can't remember what your using, either way im sure it didn't matter to that deer

good shooting MM:cheers::cheers:[/rquote]

Hornady 250 gr FTX with Harvester Sabot and 110 grs of loose Triple 7 powder.

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-250-gr-FTX-for-450-Bushmaster/

[file]149768[/file]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
[rquote=1906699&tid=132778&author=Ghost Hunter]Let me find that. Somewhere there's a suggestion by one of our members that photos not be unnecessarily bloody. :whistle:

Good shot-you got meat
:cheers:[/rquote]you know I think your right. Now who could that be.:scared::scared::scared:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts