5 Month Weim - First Hunting Dog

Discussion in 'Game Birds' started by Roman Nose, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Roman Nose

Roman Nose Active Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Well, I’ve been training my first hunting dog and thought I’d share some of our progress. I decided to travel down this path a while back. I’ve had dogs my whole life and decided I wanted my next dog to be a “hunting dog”. I grew up with Weimaraner’s and currently have a 11 year old house dog that’s a weim. I knew that was the breed I wanted but it’s really difficult to find them out of actual hunting stock.

Anyway long story short I found a small group of people that breed weims here in the US for hunting and field trials. I had to wait about a year and a half for a pup and travel pretty far to get him. During that time I researched and talked to as many people as I could and put a versatile training program together. We train virtually everyday and everything is coming along really well. He tracked 4 deer this year as a very young pup. All pretty easy tracks but was great to get him the exposure and he was successful on every one.

Have been working on birds several days a week (mostly pigeons) for the past couple months and he is getting it. Points and is already steady to flush. Will give it a while until I start down the path of steady to shot and fall. We have been on 3 actual hunts so far and has pointed/retrieved to hand about 30 quail.

Has been a blast so far. I’m a newbie to dog training but have really enjoyed doing this. It takes a lot of time but is well worth it to see a dog doing what he’s bred to do. Anyway thought I’d share hope you enjoy. I’ll will post our progress from time to time

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    nastyjack63, Pastor, 20' and 5 others like this.
  2. huntinmo

huntinmo Active Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Jefferson County
    Looks like you have a keeper!

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

It's fun and rewarding. You have him doing we'll. Congrats
  4. manitou1

manitou1 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Truman Lake
  5. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Looks like you're doing well
  6. PHhunter

PHhunter MOD-ER-ATOR

Jan 22, 2007
  7. Yahoo

Yahoo Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2008
    St Charles
    I had a good group to work with when training my lab, it helps alot.

We just got two GSP - brother and sister, it is a bit difficult having two. They are three months old.

Where are you training at? I am in St. Charles and wouldn't mind a chance to run my dogs sometimes with others - we went to Sorrenson's obedience class, more to acclimate to other dogs better....I have a lot to do still with these two.
  8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Beautiful dog. Great muscle tone and great pointing style by the photos. Its been awhile since I've actually seen a Weim in the field. Most around here are seen on a leash while the owner is jogging. Good to see you've done the search for an established bloodline of hunters like the breed was made to be.
  9. DCSarchette

DCSarchette Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Bland, Mo.
    Nice Pup, and congrats on all your obvious hard work. There is hardly anything better than a good dog, doing what he is bred or trained to do, and doing it well.
  10. Roman Nose

Roman Nose Active Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Thanks everyone. It’s been a lot of fun. Have a long road ahead to get him finished but we’re having fun with it. I’m definitely not an expert by any means but have picked a general outline and just trying to be consistent.

Received some encouragement to run some hunt tests type trials and I think we’re gonna give that a go.
  11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    good looking perro
  12. Roman Nose

Roman Nose Active Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I joined a little hunting club called Wilnor. It’s out highway 30. I believe it’s in Dittmer, MO. Might be worth checking out. Not sure how far of a drive it would be. They do group trainings every morning I think except Mondays. I join in on that on the weekends when I can. It’s nothing over the top but they have everything you need for training available. I did it mostly for the opportunity to get on birds all the time. I personally would have a hard time training without access to a place like this.

I bet you have your hands full with two haha. Funny you say that we thought about getting two pups in the beginning. But the breeder limited us to one. My dog has plenty of energy and at this point am kinda thankful she didn’t let me get 2 haha.
  13. very nice! Its a blast watching a pup turn into a stone cold bird finder.. Keep us posted on the progress.
  14. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Handsome pup!