.410 suitable for turkey?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by mmlm1358, Apr 6, 2006.

1. mmlm1358

mmlm1358 New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    My brothers son is 8 years old and he wants to hunt this weekend. He shot a youth 20 ga. last weekend and the recoil was to much for him. Is a .410 enough to kill a turkey?

2. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Only at CLOSE yardage. 20 yds or less. Others will chime in also. They may know better than I.

3. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

I agree. Close range only, but it'll work.

4. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I concur...close is da name of da game anyway!!!

5. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    Hit the range, pattern some shots at 20 and if he is consistent then he should be good to go!
    :banana:

6. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Seems to me you are asking a lot from an eight year old and a light weight shotgun.

7. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Get em in close and he should be fine. I know alot of people that shot their first bird with a 410

8. mmlm1358

mmlm1358 New Member

Apr 5, 2006

I am not the one pushing the issue, I told my brother to wait till next year. My son is also 8 has no problem puttin the smack down on a turk with a 20 ga.

9. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    my boy is 7 and shot light loads thru his 20 guage. he can handle those so tomorow the #5s are goin in and I bet in the exictment he wont know the difference of what load he's shooting. hopefully I can get him a 15-20 yard shot and if he pretends the heads a pepsi can its good as dead.
    my suggestion would be take the 20 I bet he wont feel no recoil when a bird is standing in his line of sight.

10. PFR

PFR New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Here we go again.

My answer is No, Noway, Nohow, Don't do it. IMO if a kid can't handle a 20 gauge he probably ought to wait a year or two to be actually toting a gun in the woods. You owe it to the animal you are hunting. Yeah a .410 would kill an elephant if you absolutely did everything right and hit it in the right place. But hunting isn't laboratory conditions and you are more than likely going have a cripple to go off and die later. Also, IMO, it seems to me if someone is planning on taking a kid hunting you should be doing some shooting more than one week prior to the season for the first time.

Stuff like this is what make me forget all the good in the youth hunts. I think the "not pushing the issue" ought to be done in more instances than it is.

11. That is about the same as asking if a 22 is big enough for deer. No way is it big enough. Way to many birds get wounded and full of pellets with a 12 gauge every year. And on top of that i dont think it is legal in missouri to turkey hunt with a 410. And if it is it shouldnt be. If the boy is tooo little to handle a 20 gauge then he doesnt need to be hunting. And in my opinion the only way a 20 gauge is big enough is with a tight constricton choke and 3 inch turkey load. Use some common sense. its nearly imposible to kill a swamp rabbit with a 410 and turkeys are way tougher to kill than swampers.

just my opinion

chad

12. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Tke the kid back out with the 20 ga. and have him shoot very light field loads with a turkey choke. Save the 3" turkey loads for the actual hunt. This is what I did with my grandaughter and it worked very well. She didn't notice the recoil when she shot her turkey last year. As far as the .410 I also say no. No matter the yardage not much shot and especially for an inexperienced shooter.

Jack

13. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    For the doubters. Please, save it.

DSG could kill a dang gobbler at 20 yards with a Daisy Pellet gun if he could hit him in the head!

As long as the child is coached on the importance of a good head shot, by all means it's good enough. (Now, if we could coach all the adults to do the same instead of focusing on how far their 3.5 inch magnum that they flinch to beat hail with shoots!)

14. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    DSG would like to add;

IF a child is coached on the importance of a good head shot with a .410 she/he is gonna kill the bird stone dead (within 20 yards) or miss it all together..........

Same can't be said about lots of adults and their shooting.

15. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Preach on, brother DSG! You've got to be absolutely kidding me if you're gonna try to say that a .410 wouldn't kill a turkey at 20 yds or less. That's just crazy talk. Just make sure the kid has good form and realizes the importance of a HEAD shot.

16. Nobody said it wouldnt kill a turkey. I think jack pretty well summed it up. The big thing is that a kid that cant handle a 20 gauge is gonna have trouble making a clean kill with a 410. Not saying that it wont kill one just that it was a really bad idea in my opinion to let a kid use one.

chad

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Wouldnt be my first choice, but seems reasonably possible inside of 20yds..

Course, with all the turkeys I've bagged through the years... oh wait, I never have! lol

I do like Jacks idea above.. have the lad shoot light loads and when the moment of truth happens, slip that turkey load in there... he'll prolly never feel it. I assume also that you would pattern the gun with that turkey load prior so you know what its capable of. :bangin:

18. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh yeah......DSG just gots to add. It's a stupid bird for cripe sakes. They'll either kill it or they won't. (just like adults) Don't ruin their fun. :)

19. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I'll agree that the kid should try to use the 20 ga. A buddy of mine's kid started hunting with a 20 ga when he was 6! He's now 9 and he's the SMALLEST 9 yr old I've ever seen. I promise, if this kid can handle his 12 ga then the kid in the original post can. Just put a recoil pad on it and tell him that he'll never be a REAL man if he doesn't shoot the 20! :hysterical:

20. thats a good point DSG and kinda of what i meant. Wouldnt you be upset if your first turkey got away cause you didnt have enough gun?/

chad