Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent looked yet but are there any good turkey loads made for a .410 3in? I dont know if our youngest will be ready by next spring or not. I have a single shot .410 that was mine as a kid that I am gonna pass it down to her. It doesnt have an adjustable choke and is a full choke. I dread finding out what the prices are gonna be cause I know regular .410 shells are rediculous. This is all probably premature but I want to have something ready for her when she is ready.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
I tried to pattern one out 2 not this last spring but the one before, but I couldn't get anywhere past 12 yards. The young lady had to go with a little more punch and shoot a 20 guage.

Someone saying they're going to consistently call a bird into 12 yards would be making VERY tough statement.

This was with a full choke too.

So......that's all I've got from experience. Maybe someone else will have the magic load.

Parker

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Parker. Yeah, I am hoping to get it to pattern to at least 20yds. I dont think I could expect anything further than that. If 12 yds is the max, then yeah, I dont think I could expect to call too many of them in that close with a new hunter not to mention if she could stand waiting for them to get that close before shooting. Heck I cant hardly wait fo them to get any closer than 20yds myself!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I've seen so many clay birds break at 20 yards wiff a .410 dat there is no doubt in my mind dat a good pattern can be achieved if you work wiff it. Key here is most of those guys dat shoot 'em @ skeet and sporting clays reload. That might be the answer to your question Bowpredator. I'm sure there is somebody over thata way that reloads them if ya ax around.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Originally posted by Bowpredator
Thanks Parker. Yeah, I am hoping to get it to pattern to at least 20yds. I dont think I could expect anything further than that. If 12 yds is the max, then yeah, I dont think I could expect to call too many of them in that close with a new hunter not to mention if she could stand waiting for them to get that close before shooting. Heck I cant hardly wait fo them to get any closer than 20yds myself!
:D You could probably pull it off with a blind though. Lord knows cfraz and I pulled it off this past season! Those birds were in our laps! :eek:

Parker

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
I THINK the key may be to load smaller shot (7's) along with some 6's.....but I could be wrong. Seems like I heard something like that when I was trying to get this one of mine set up.

Parker

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
I grew up hunting with 2 guns. A light weight 12 ga sb and a bolt action 410. I killed squirells and doves with that 410. I've knocked the tree rats out of some very tall trees with it. Find the right load or make it yourself and have her practice.

·
Registered
21,182 Posts
Originally posted by Parker
Originally posted by Bowpredator
:D You could probably pull it off with a blind though. Lord knows cfraz and I pulled it off this past season! Those birds were in our laps! :eek:

Parker
Wheeeeew Yes they were!!! And it was great! And we did not have a blind! Thank goodness that brush pile was there.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Originally posted by cfrazee_mo
Thank goodness that brush pile was there. [/quote]

If that brush wouldn't have been there, we would've been eating cashew kitty at Fookee's! :hysterical: :hysterical:

Parker

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
if you want some serious loads you have the king of turkey shells right over in mtn grove nitro ray..... they aint cheap but you won't find any thing better i guarenntee he can make a load that will make that a reliable 410
like i say won't be cheap his 12 guage shells are anywere from 5-7 bucks a wack but you can't beat them

·
Registered
38,303 Posts
My bro in law killed a big gobbler this past spring with his 410 quail gun...I think he used 6's...BOWLED that bird over at 26 paces!!! I know a quail ain't a turkey, but if he can kill quail all day at 40, why not a turkey at 20!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I use a Savage Stevens side by side for squirrels and doves. Both barrels are full choke. It shoots 3" Remington Express #4s very tightly. I'm sure it would kill a turkey but I think it would have to be awfully close. If it were me, I'd opt for either a 28 or 20 guage. Small enough gun for little shooters but more "oomph".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.