.41 rimfire ammo

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by rat, Feb 17, 2006.

1. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    A friend of mine has a very old remington derringer that chambers .41 rimfire..

Anyone know where I could get oddball ammo like this?

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I thank you very kindly!

3. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
  4. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Good luck finding it! Old Western Scrounger sells it as collectors items for $6.00 a bullet!

5. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    BTW,

Do you concur with case length?

.41 Short .467"
    .41 Long .635"

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well.. the site says $28.00/box but I have yet to order or even see if its in stock.

7. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    You have the over under right?

8. Nicholas

Nicholas New Member

Oct 5, 2005
    Saint Charles, MO
    "Derringers
    Derringers were invented, or at least popularized, by a man named "Deringer" (note the single "r"). The original Deringer was a small, handy, single barrel, .41 caliber percussion pistol that could be easily concealed. A classic hide-out gun. John Wilkes Booth used one of these to assassinate Abraham Lincoln. When other manufacturers wanted to capitalize on the burgeoning popularity of these small pistols, they called their generic pistols "derringers," and that is where the extra "r" came from."
    Chuck Hawk

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Yes nick.. o/u or superimposed

10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    And I wasnt aware of a short and long case... Its a friend of mines and I'll ask him.

11. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    The Remington uses the short case, the long case went in a Colt revolver, IIRC. Most of those old Remingtons aren't safe to use any more, they loosen up pretty easily. Have it checked by a gunsmith before your buddy shoots it! This is NOT optional, those old relics can be dangerous nowadays.
    They weren't very powerful, they couldn't even bury the bullet into a tree up to the base of the slug, but they can still make an old gun come unglued. Please have it checked out first, for your buddy's hands and eyes sake.

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks Glenn.. he actually has one bullet left for this gun so I guess we could go from there.

I knew you all would have the answer!