Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second attempt at posting this question, I keep hitting a pothole in the information super highway.

Here we go... I was doing my daily 20 minute bow shoot today. I have my 20 yard pin dialed in. I paced off 30 yards and started to dial in my 30 yard pin as well. That went very well by the way. As I shot my 30 yard pin, I realized how long of a distance that is in the bow hunting world. So, I have to question if 40 yards is realistic and humane? I would hate to leave a deer running around with my arrow hanging out of it. I am shoooting a 28" draw, 55lb. draw weight bow with broadheads. I am sure you folks have ideas on this subject.

Will this work?

How many people had sucsses or failed taking a 40 yard shot?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,647 Posts
Will it work? Yes, under perfect conditions, perfect light, broadside shot, and no obstructions. Oh yes, and one last thing, provided you can make the perfect shot!

That is all theory because I have never kilt one at 40. And haven't even atttempted one that far since I was prolly 16.
 

·
White Board Man
Joined
·
14,380 Posts
I personally will not shoot out that far, I practice for it though. It is really up to the individual and there confidence in their shooting ability.

This is just my opinion, but if I were you I wouldn't even think about a shot that far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
As DSG said, It can be done, but only under the right circumstances. I used to never take shots that far at deer, but in the last few years, the right scenerio has come along and i felt confident enough to do it. I practice at 40 yards most of the time and even practice some at 50 yards just so those closer shots feel easier. I have taken a few deer in that 37-42 yard range, so it can be done, but it's not nearly as forgiving as those closer shots.

:sniper:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Originally posted by deer_slayer
As DSG said, It can be done, but only under the right circumstances. I used to never take shots that far at deer, but in the last few years, the right scenerio has come along and i felt confident enough to do it. I practice at 40 yards most of the time and even practice some at 50 yards just so those closer shots feel easier. I have taken a few deer in that 37-42 yard range, so it can be done, but it's not nearly as forgiving as those closer shots.

:sniper:
I do this also. I practice long shots, say 50 yards and get pretty consistent with that. Then when you shoot 40,30, and 20 yard shot's they are a piece of cake and there is no douubt in my mind where the arrow is going to end up. I would never take a 50 yard shot but if everything is right I will take a 40 yarder if I feel comfortable with the shot. So far the longest distance I have shot a deer is about 37 yards give or take, which was last year. Try practicing the longer shots once you feel up to it, it will really help you with the shorter shots.
 

·
PURE KILLER
Joined
·
38,024 Posts
i know i will take some crap for this,but they die just a good at 40 as they do as twenty or ten.me 67 is the longest shot i have ever taken at a animal it ran fifty yards and died just as dead i've taken alot of deer and elk in the forties and fifties.but knowing the range and a relaxed animal and everything is right is the key.forty is a long way in the woods but not to far in the flats or fields.i had a monster bull a few years ago the range finder said seventy standing broadside i wanted him so bad i could taste it, but he was standing downhill at a pretty steep angle.i know i could have killed him on flat ground,but it is a shot i didn't feel comfortable with.as bad as i wanted to i didn't let her go.the key is knowing your own limits and he was out of mine.practice forty will be a peice of cake:whip:
 

·
Under appreciated
Joined
·
92,120 Posts
Keep it at or under 30 if your comfortable there.

My only utility for the 40yd pin is and will always be for 3d..not hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,462 Posts
When I was first into archery I didn't understand arrow flight at all. I stood aside some shooters at a target range and watched( recurves were the cutting edge at the time). What i noticed( I am not a physicist or engineer or such) was that as the arrow decelerated it dropped faster or it traveled a drastic parabolic arc.

It's hard to see in modern arrows and the arc is not quite as drastic at 40 yds but it is still there. What all this gibberish means is that a slight difference in distance will make a noticable difference in drop of the arrow. Even if you can group consistantly at 40 yds does not guarantee sufficent accuracy at nearly 40 yds to ensure a clean kill. The remaining energy of the arrow will also be somewhat deminished also so penetration will suffer.

Bottom line---most of us should peobably try to stay inside 30 yds or so. :dancin::dancin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,305 Posts
I also have a 40 yd pin, would I use only if the shot was setup perfect to do so. Oh the stands I hunt at have bright red markers a 30 and 40 yards, straight out and at 30 degs. from my stands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,672 Posts
parabolic arc, sounds like spacecraft design and fabrication. Anyway, ethics is probably my most important thing prior to any shot, of any kind, if you can't kill it, you can't grill it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
Under 30 for me. I'll practice at 40 just to make 30 look closer. A tree always seems to jump outta nowhere at those long shots.

Nicholas envision a bowl turned upside down. There's yer parabolic arc.

Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
30 yards is a long shot! i can hit a deer vitals heart/lung region all day at 20 yards. anything after that i cant hit the vitals consistantly. 20 yards = 100% vital kills, 30 yards = 70% vital kills. so for me on the ground a 30-40 yard shot is outa the question. i just dont want to chance that 30% and get a bad shot. man i sympathise for the deer that i kill and i want that deer to die within a minute not suffer for hours. and not becuase of my dumba$$ shot.
my site had 5 pins and would shoot all the way up tp 60-70 yards, now i only got 1 pin and its dead on at 20. and thats all i will shoot 20 yards dailed in with 2 blade broadheads.
keep shooting gentlemen the opener of bow will be here before you know it!
 

·
Jenny's Lackey
Joined
·
47,538 Posts
For years I hunted a 40 acre woodlot near Kirksville. Killed a high 140 class 10 point out of it. Spent several years after that chasing a true monster. This guy was rubbing trees as big as my thigh. The night before rifle opener in 98, that bad boy walked down a trail 43 yards away. I knew the distance, had hit it with a rangefinder. At that time in my life I could hit a 12 ring at 50 yds 9 out of ten times. I was absolutely confident I could make a 40 yd shot on a deer. When he walked through my window, I let fly. Felt like a text book perfect shot. It wasn't. I didn't account for the fact that he was walking & hit him too far back. Ended up with brown ick on my fletching. Talk about sick. I spent every chance I got for the next 3 weeks scouring the countryside trying to find him. Went back in the winter looking for him. Never found him, never heard of anyone finding him.


Nope, I don't put a 40 yd pin on my bow anymore. I setup my stand sites for 30 & under, no sence in being tempted. That was the buck of a lifetime & I never recovered him. Won't make that mistake twice.
 

·
Cooler Semi-Elitist
Joined
·
4,901 Posts
Just shoot the 40 for fun and as others said to make those 30 and 20 yarders seem even easier. Another good reason to shoot those longer distances would be that if you can get a really tight group at 40 yds then you know you have a bow that is set up very well and that your form is top notch.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,632 Posts
When I'm on my game (not right now, unfortunately) I can throw 4 inch groups at 40 yds consistently. With the amount of KE that bows now days are generating, there is still MORE than enough energy to do the trick at 40 yds or even considerably further on a whitetail.

I'm not gonna tell anyone not to take a 40 yd shot. Take a shot as far out as you are consistent. If I had faith in my bow and my ability, I'd take a 40 yd shot with no worries.

That being said, I'll always set up my stands where closer shots can be achieved. It's more about stand placement than it is flingin long range shots!
 

·
Retired
Joined
·
9,542 Posts
Would I take a 40 yard shot-----------MAYBE.

If everything was perfect and I felt good about what was going on and taking place yes-------It's only happened once in my life!

:cheers:
 

·
Under appreciated
Joined
·
92,120 Posts
Nother thing I thought of...

Set your stands so that 30yds is the MAX so that you wont be temped by farther
yardages.. Might take the temptation out of the mix, get me?
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top