Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here shot one of those much? I know Leaker has one for his Pro-Hunter pistol but didn't know if anyone else had any first-hand experience with this round?

I'm thinking about getting this one for my Encore pistol when then time comes...The barrel will be a heavy (not bull) straight from TC's Custom Shop. Also thought about getting the ported or muzzlebrake option also installed.

Thanks in advance.

:cheers:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by ryanlowe02
are you sure you can handle that kind of firepower? :rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:
You dang right I can....If I can shoot a .500 S&W freehand, I'm sure I'll have no problems with a .338 out of a 15" heavy barrel.

I think you're just jealous. :scared::stirpot:

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
i've been thinking about getting one in rifle configuration. actualy i would love it in a lever action, maybe Browning will do it in their BLR. in my opinion it is everything the .35 remington wanted to be.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim, I was reading the ballistics and reviews on it and it definitely "reads" to be a REALLY stout cartridge for a short-action.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Originally posted by Heeler75
Jim, I was reading the ballistics and reviews on it and it definitely "reads" to be a REALLY stout cartridge for a short-action.
it is a necked up 308 case. like i said i like the 35 rem, and in my opinion this round takes the same idea and applies a better platform for it. gives ya a true 200-300 yrd round. but is ideal in my opinion at 200 and below in a lever action.

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
I would sure think, even with the heavy barrel, that the muzzlebrake would be a good idea!!!??? You're already spending the green with the Custom Shop, might as well go all out!!! Oh, and get some good earplugs too...it's gonna be LOUD!!!

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by fireman_3311
I would sure think, even with the heavy barrel, that the muzzlebrake would be a good idea!!!??? You're already spending the green with the Custom Shop, might as well go all out!!! Oh, and get some good earplugs too...it's gonna be LOUD!!!
That ain't no joke!!!:rof2::rof2:

I'm also planning on buying the Pachmayr Magnum grips....They are really nice and help tame the recoil also.

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
I like me Contender in 3030...just don't shoot it very often! Always say I'm gonna hunt with it, and hardly do anymore these days!

·
Under appreciated
88,171 Posts
That thing will make big boom-boom I'd reckon.

Be fun to shoot though! I have no experience with it but I say get it and lemme know the next time your gonna be in boontown.. I wanna shoost it! lol

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
by the way i think you guys wanting to shoot that thing in pistol form are pain lovers. and yes even without a brake that thing was going to be loud.
i'm tell'n ya though this round screams lever action!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My cousin and hunting buddy bought one this last year in a rifle, and he used it to take a 289 yard shot on a mule deer in Nebraska. he said it dropped him like a ton of bricks!

He's definately a fan! I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but he says the recoil isn't bad at all......

GH

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim, I've shot a 30 TC in the pistol, and it's not bad...When you get a 15" barrel it helps tame it down.

funny thing is, this round has been around for a long time...Just was never offered commercially. There were guys wildcatting this round for 60 years or so.

My second choice is going to be the 7mm-08 I'm a thinking.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
i know they had been wildcatting it, but i'm limited to factory fodder so now is the only time i could even consider it. i'm still thinking a 35 Whellan is in order one day too. but that guy will be in a bolt action. heck if it is a ruger i may have to slip that one into the stock i just got done modifying. don't know if ruger ever offered it in S.S. or not but if i ever stumble across one i'm snagging it.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm the same way....I don't reload so I'm off on my own...I wonder what the 338-06 would be like.:thinking:

And there are a few ammo makers out there that offer some wildcat loads. I was noticing that in my most recent Midway catalog. I think one of the more common ones was the 6.5X.284

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I'm the same way....I don't reload so I'm off on my own...I wonder what the 338-06 would be like.:thinking:

And there are a few ammo makers out there that offer some wildcat loads. I was noticing that in my most recent Midway catalog. I think one of the more common ones was the 6.5X.284
yep, hornady now offers the .280 AI in factory fodder.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not to mention, I think some companies will load you up custom loads also for a fee. I think Hornady has been a big part of that the last few years.

·
19,583 Posts

Also thought about getting the ported or muzzlebrake option also installed.
I would definitely go with a muzzle brake...

Sure made my 6mm-.250's recoil more manageable!

·
Registered
12,625 Posts
Heeler, you might give BTH a holler, we were talking about a round this weekend, and I am thinking it is the same one as here. An old gun left to him by his grandfather, but the rounds were running about $80 a box of 20. Reloads were still at about $3 apiece and empty brass was unreal. He may be able to give you more info. :D

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problems Mike. I'll have to ask him which one that is. Since the 338 federal is a commercial round now, I can get the factory ammo for about $40/box and brass should be fairly cheap as it's based on the .308.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts