Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
just a no body
16,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
opinions??..seems like the Press's darling round for deer to Elk ..I think I'd just a well have an 30-06 or an 300 win mag altho IMO thats wayy too much for a Whitetail but id I'm going to continue with hunting out west I'm thinkn I might need something abit more high performance than my sweet 270.

·
Under appreciated
92,881 Posts
I'd consider a 7mm mag too..

Lighter bullets are just fine for MO whitetail and 165gr or larger is a fine
choice for elk from what I have read.

This is the main reason I bought one.. versatility.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I shot a 270 win for decades and liked it, still do. But the new toy bug bit me and I bought a 300 WSM. Like it too! Now want a 325 wsm also. Main reasons are, I don't like to load belted cases, and if and when I go for moose, elk or maybe a bownie I want a larger caliber. With that said I did not need another rifle or caliber for deer black bear, elk or even moose than my 270. For that matter there might only be bolt action 30 06s in the world!

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
In the July '06 issue of Guns and Ammo, they discuss the round. It's basically a short 8mm mag. They said the 325 is a short step up from the 30-06. So weigh the cost of ammo and availability of it before you buy.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
I think the .325 will be an orphan soon enough. I'd avoid it like a social disease. So far, only Browning and the now defunct Winchester have chambered for it, no one else. If the other companies thought it would fly, they'd be making rifles for it. Without rifles, and a bunch of them, there is no incentive to make ammo for it, either............ That one's dead, the gunwriter's efforts to keep it alive are wasted time, ink, and advertising dollars.
There's nothing wrong with getting a new rifle if you want one, just make sure you can get the ammo and accessories you need, on down the line. Common sense will take you far..........

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought a WSM 7mm four years ago. I absolutely love it. Leupold VX2 glass and I can drive nails with it. There is a shooting range in Colorado where we go every year. Farthest shot 450 yds. I hold maybe an inch above center and hit an 18" gong everytime. I shoot the federal bonded 160 gr. ammo. Flattest shooting gun I've ever owned. Killed an elk 2 years ago. 108 yds per the gps dropped in its tracks. I know alot of people that have the 300 wsm as well. Never heard any complaints. I tend to agree about ammo availability on the .325. Just dont think it will ever take off.

·
Registered
13,827 Posts
Snowman, it's not the handloaders we're worried about, it's the 90% that don't handload, that will have troubles if the .325 goes under. Still, how many 7x30 Waters rifles do you see around? or .307 or .356 Winchesters? (Note, all those cartridges are for leverguns and were announced in the past 30 years or so, and are about as dead as last year's watermelons). Figure in the 8mm Rem. Mag., the .222 Magnum, the 5mm Rem. Mag Rimfire, soon all the SAUM Remington, and you can see that the lots and lots of the" newest and greatest" being foisted on us are dead in the water. It's worse if there is only one company chambering for such and such cartridges. If only one outfit makes guns or ammo, you can count on it not lasting very long. Look at the .204 Ruger cartridge, it came out a couple of years ago, and now virtually every rifle maker is chambering it, it's going to be around for quite awhile.
There is no shortage of elk rifles available, and there hasn't been for 35 years, but how many new "elk cartridges" have been introduced recently (in the past 20 years)? How many of us hunt elk, anyway? Something has to give, somewhere along the line, there just aren't that many elk hunters around, although we'd all LIKE to, and deer aren't any tougher now than they've ever been. The new 4 point rule for some counties in Missouri will just about kill off any good long range shooting we used to have, because of point restrictions, we have to be awfully careful about long shots and counting points. We need better made rifles, not longer-range rifles, and that's one of the reasons Winchester went belly-up, and Browning will, if they don't wise up. Remington's on the ropes, too, I wouldn't be surprised to see them roll over in the next five years.

·
just a no body
16,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[ The new 4 point rule for some counties in Missouri will just about kill off any good long range shooting we used to have, because of point restrictions, we have to be awfully careful about long shots and counting points. [/quote]

:cheers:All around great post Glen & i hear ya about the long shots.. I'v had deer change sex on me between shooting them & getting there...oddest thing:eek:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Originally posted by glennasher1
. The new 4 point rule for some counties in Missouri will just about kill off any good long range shooting we used to have, because of point restrictions, we have to be awfully careful about long shots and counting points. We need better made rifles, not longer-range rifles, and that's one of the reasons Winchester went belly-up, and Browning will, if they don't wise up. Remington's on the ropes, too, I wouldn't be surprised to see them roll over in the next five years.
well glen i agree with everything you wrote but in addition to that better made rifles we need to add higher quality scopes so we can make out all those points. well at least a better grade bino anyway. i also don't think the .17hmr is going away anytime soon, although several guys wrote that one off in the begining.
then again beanpile if that's what you want and you're prepared to have to reload for it if need be then go for it. there was a guy at the range on sat shooting one and he was a tad sore after a box of ammo went down range. i looked at his browning and said the first thing i would do is upgrade the recoil pad, he nodded and said it was going to be replaced before he shoots again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.