Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,952 Posts
I'd never seen a blackout case until yesterday at the range. Little thing, surprised by that I guess but I dont know much about them.
I was shooing the 450 bushmaster and that thing packs a whallop on the shoulder.
Parent case of the 450 is the 284 Win, 300 blackout is the 223 Rem..... I would hope the 450 packs more wallop. :D

Maybe you should have got a 350 Legend instead Rat, recoil is less than half that of the 450... :D

But, I am sure that 450 would flat lay down a whitetail.... :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
H110 -296 is the go to powder for hunting loads . The very best bullets to use are 125 grain cavity back bullets . The only people who suggest something else are people who have not tried them . ( Neighbor hood of 18grains H110 ) . As far as sub sonic they make a cavity back 195 sub bullet that opens up to over an inch and makes wounds That looks like big broad head wounds BUT as with all subs they drop like a boulder at any range past 75 yards . No bullet or load will make it as powerful as a 6.8 but the right bullet and load will make it a good -150 yard gun .

·
Registered
31,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I only saw one laying there. I should have picked it up and mailed it to you. lol

Are you making your own cases from 223 brass?
I'd rather not. I have some brass from factory ammo. I don't like the idea of a 223 headstamp on them since they can be chambered in a 223. 30 cal bullet down a 22 cal tube sounds real bad.

Reactions: rat

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd rather not. I have some brass from factory ammo. I don't like the idea of a 223 headstamp on them since they can be chambered in a 223. 30 cal bullet down a 22 cal tube sounds real bad.
I have color coded my calibers . You don't have to color the whole gun just grip and magazines and maybe angled front grip . My 6.8s are black .. 223 s 5.56 are green and bo are brown / tan .

·
Registered
31,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have color coded my calibers . You don't have to color the whole gun just grip and magazines and maybe angled front grip . My 6.8s are black .. 223 s 5.56 are green and bo are brown / tan .
I have marked the magazines with red. I don't have anything else that is an issue so I will just have to mark these but the notion of a 223 headstamp on a shell that will cause serious damage if fired in a 223 bothers me.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
This thread sure blew up in 24 hours.
I have been running Sierra 125gr FPHP 30-30 bullets in mine. Also a short barreled pistol braced model.
I will PM my load data.
FWIW, I have some coated boolits from MBC to play with.

·
Under appreciated
90,840 Posts
Parent case of the 450 is the 284 Win, 300 blackout is the 223 Rem..... I would hope the 450 packs more wallop. :D

Maybe you should have got a 350 Legend instead Rat, recoil is less than half that of the 450... :D

But, I am sure that 450 would flat lay down a whitetail.... :D
Its a beast inside of 100. I plan to use this in some archery stands this coming week where I can get like 60 or so max yd opportunities, see if a neck shot might kill a slick. Hopefully it has enough punch. :D

Reactions: callaojoe

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I also have dedicate mags for the Blackout. I painted a white stripe around the body near the base of the mag.
So far it has kept this old fart out of trouble. I could have used tape but wanted something more permanent.
Never had guts enough to shoot a 223/556 out of the BO. Wonder how that would work?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also have dedicate mags for the Blackout. I painted a white stripe around the body near the base of the mag.
So far it has kept this old fart out of trouble. I could have used tape but wanted something more permanent.
Never had guts enough to shoot a 223/556 out of the BO. Wonder how that would work?
Don't think . 223 will shoot out of a bo but the right length . 223 will shoot out of a 6.8 . My nephew in law managed to do so .

·
Registered
151 Posts
They just defined them a little more. They put an overall length limit that is different than the ATF's definition. Therefore I had to have about a half inch cut off the end of the Grendel barrel to remain legal with MDC.
Half inch ain't much but a grendel needs every inch it can get . I didn't want to go under 12.5" on my 6.8 so I went with a 5" tube and flat spring .

21 - 31 of 31 Posts