Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked one up with a 10" barrel for muzzleloader season. Anybody have a favorite bullet/load for deer hunting? Kind of limited on powder, I think I have some H110 and Win 296.

Reactions: MO-APE

·
1,616 Posts
I just picked one up with a 10" barrel for muzzleloader season. Anybody have a favorite bullet/load for deer hunting? Kind of limited on powder, I think I have some H110 and Win 296.
Not trying to start a debate or anything, just be 100% sure it is classified as an “AR pistol with a brace” and not a SBR rifle with a brace. Best of luck finding an awesome recipe!

·
Registered
31,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not trying to start a debate or anything, just be 100% sure it is classified as an “AR pistol with a brace” and not a SBR rifle with a brace. Best of luck finding an awesome recipe!
It is. My son put it together a couple years ago from a new stripped lower so I know it was never on a rifle.
We also have a Grendel pistol with a brace which I think is a better deer cartridge but now we can do side by side comparisons. I ordered some Barnes 110 TAC-TX and some Sierra 125's so hopefully I can find something that shoots reasonable. Figure it is a 100 yard round so it doesn't have to shoot that great.

Reactions: HarvDog and MO-APE

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,093 Posts
No help on the loads Trap, but that'll make a dandy muzzle loader. :D

Reactions: killmode

·
5,300 Posts
I shoot 125 Sierras out of ours and it does well. Both in penetration and damage. Groups good too.
I couldn't get the Barnes 110 to group very well but they were loading in the case crooked. May have been too much neck tension.(my fault)
Can't remember what powder I used.

·
Registered
31,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just from looking at Hodgdon's data it may have been Lil Gun on powder.
Maybe CFE BLK.
I don't have those but if I find some I will give them a go. I thought it was interesting that Win 296 and H110 listed the exact same charge weights, velocities, and pressures on Hodgdon's site.

Reactions: thwackaddict

·
1,616 Posts
It is. My son put it together a couple years ago from a new stripped lower so I know it was never on a rifle.
We also have a Grendel pistol with a brace which I think is a better deer cartridge but now we can do side by side comparisons. I ordered some Barnes 110 TAC-TX and some Sierra 125's so hopefully I can find something that shoots reasonable. Figure it is a 100 yard round so it doesn't have to shoot that great.
Subsonic would be epic

·
5,300 Posts
What I think looks like fun is a subsonic suppressed 300 black out. It would make for
fun dialing/ranging and you wouldn’t need ear muffs at all. Stupid suppressor rules will probably keep me from ever getting one.

·
Registered
31,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess they didn’t ban we pistols ? I remember there was talk of it earlier this year.
They just defined them a little more. They put an overall length limit that is different than the ATF's definition. Therefore I had to have about a half inch cut off the end of the Grendel barrel to remain legal with MDC.

Reactions: Muleskinner

·
Under appreciated
91,935 Posts
I'd never seen a blackout case until yesterday at the range. Little thing, surprised by that I guess but I dont know much about them.
I was shooing the 450 bushmaster and that thing packs a whallop on the shoulder.

·
Registered
31,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd never seen a blackout case until yesterday at the range. Little thing, surprised by that I guess but I dont know much about them.
I was shooing the 450 bushmaster and that thing packs a whallop on the shoulder.
They can be made from a 223 case cut off right at the shoulder and then run through sizing dies. I honestly don't think it is the best choice for deer but I have it so I'm gonna play with it. Suppresed, sub-sonic, defense seems to be the best use for it IMHO.
And I hope you picked those case up for me!

Reactions: callaojoe

·
Under appreciated
91,935 Posts
They can be made from a 223 case cut off right at the shoulder and then run through sizing dies. I honestly don't think it is the best choice for deer but I have it so I'm gonna play with it. Suppresed, sub-sonic, defense seems to be the best use for it IMHO.
And I hope you picked those case up for me!
I only saw one laying there. I should have picked it up and mailed it to you. lol

Are you making your own cases from 223 brass?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts