30-30

Discussion in 'Reloading Tips & Tricks' started by macon county boy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    has anyone loaded any pointed bullets in a 30-30 such as nosler bts

2. macon county boy

May 6, 2009
    well i have a bolt action 30-30 and have to figure out how much you have to trim to seat the bullet

3. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    Sierra used to make a 135gr SP intended for single shot pistols. I have loaded that bullet and current production Sierra 125gr SP. Turns my Marlin into a two-shooter. one in the mag, one in the chamber. The bullets performed effectively.

As long as your loaded round fits in the magazine of your rifle, you should be GTG.

4. macon county boy

May 6, 2009
    thats the problem they wont fit in the clip

5. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    Is the rifle a Stevens?

6. macon county boy

May 6, 2009
    IVE LOADED SOME AND I HAVE TO PUSH THEM IN REALLY FAR AND THEY WONT FEED

7. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    I had one of those. I will look at my records tonight to see if I recorded OAL.

8. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    :whinging: Sorry! My record keeping in "the early days" wasn't very good.

I had a Stevens .30-30 bolt gun and don't recall having any problems using spitzer bullets.

9. MOGC

MOGC Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2008
    SE Ozark's
    What weight bullet are you trying to load? Pointed bullets are longer than the more usual roundnose bullets used for the .30-30 cartridge. Some bullets may not be applicable for this application at all. You might consider the Hornady gummy tipped 160 gr. spitzer designed to cycle through lever guns. It would probably work in your particular magazine and still fly flat enough and be terminally effective to be useful at extended .30-30 velocities.

10. Mule

Mule Active Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Franklin County, MO
    I found 3 rounds in my ammo locker, loaded on 2000, when I had the bolt gun. 135gr Sierra. averaged 2.543" overall length.

Hope that helps.