Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i rather be bowhunting deer than anything, but i do like to rifle hunt the 10 days of season as does everyone else. i use a model. 70, 270 with 130 grain bullets. i hunt in different areas alot, fields where i can see a thousand yards to thick woods where the farthest shot is 100 yards. i hunted with my .270 last year in some really thick forest and i stalked on alot of deer, i didnt like useing my .270 for close shots because of the scope after spooking a nice buck, i went back the next day with slugs and my shot gun. what do you know i walk up on a buck, but he's just a little too far for a shot. so now im thinking something like a lever action brush gun. would a .30.30 be the best bet? and no shot further than say 120 yards for this, ill use my .270 for the open fields.

·
5,631 Posts
the .30-30 is a GREAT round for shots up to 100-150 yds.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,475 Posts
I'd personally trust a 30-30 out to 100, but other folks may say that it'll do 120. I've seen a LOT of misses over 100 with a 30-30. When I say a lot, I mean over 20....but it could've been the shooter too (it wasn't me!)

Parker

·
Registered
13,325 Posts
Originally posted by jason6517
That's what I would use. That or a 35 remington
I have to agree with jason. The 30-30 is a good round but ive got an old marlin 35 rem that i trust more than any of the new guns that i cycle through. If it was me i would go give 249 for a new marlin in 35 rem. Like i said there is nothing wrong with a 30-30 but in my opinion i would rather have a 35 anyday.

chad

·
SHED ON
5,637 Posts
That is just about all I have ever used is a 30-30 it is a great gun and will do fine out to the 150 range if you can operate it

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
My first deer was killed with a .30-.30 at 140 yards. Second with a .30-.30 at 110 yards...

....then I bought the .270 because I had many opportunities way past that range.

Have since killed several between 150 and 250 yards with the .270 and a couple pushing 300 yards. I do NOT think my .30-.30 would have done the trick at those ranges.

·
just a no body
15,858 Posts
30-30 for what your asking it to do is perfect..just shootem in the lungs they'll run out of air sooner than later.

I'd be willing to bet more deer have been killed in Missouri with a 30-30 than any other round

·
5,631 Posts
Originally posted by beanpile
I'd be willing to bet more deer have been killed in Missouri with a 30-30 than any other round
I would second that.

·
Under appreciated
92,533 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire
Originally posted by beanpile
I would second that.
Make that a third. I would further bet that there is a heckuva lot of folks that had their first deer hunting experience as a young'n with such a gun.. caf4 mentioned it above and I am in the same boat. :banana:

·
5,631 Posts
My first deer was with a 16 ga slug. After that it was a .30-30 until I got my latest 7mm mag. The .30-30 is a GREAT gun for MO hunting in the timber.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
The ole 30-30 has been a good deer rifle for the last hundred years or so. Add a good set of peep sights and a small brass bead front sight and study the curve for the round you use. A lever gun usually won't shoot as well as a bolt, but with a little practice they are capable of grouping in the honey hole at 150 yds. I've used one for 50 years and have only shot one deer over 100 yds. Usual shot is about 60 yds or so. In fact my rifle is zeroed 1 in high at 50 yds now.

·
Under appreciated
92,533 Posts
Thats another thing bout 30-30.. at 50 or 75 yds or so, its a hammer on those deer.:sniper:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Originally posted by Bowkil
so now im thinking something like a lever action brush gun.
i hate the term "brush gun." IMHO, you should not take the shot unless it is a clear shot and you can put the bullet/arrow exactly where you want it.

but the 30-30 will do the job just as well as any other 30 caliber rifle!

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
I missed my first couple of deer with a .30/30:whinging:, and got rid of it as quickly as I could decently do so. That's not to say it won't kill deer, I just couldn't shoot the danged thing!:eek::D I got a scoped rifle, and near or far, I do better. The only thing I shoot iron sights on nowadays, are my pistols or my shotgun. Technology is nice. Glass is my friend.

·
5,631 Posts
My Marlin 336 had open scope mounts so I could shoot open sights if I needed to but I had my Simmons 3-9 on top. Worked great.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
YES

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.