Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a Rem model 700 30-06. I bought it from an older gentleman that I did some work for. He said it kicked to hard and had not even had a box of bullets run thru it. It came with an ammo box with 4.5 boxes of pmc police ammo and I have killed 4 deer with it and it does fairly well, but 4" groups at 100 yards is the best it will do. The gun barrel is clean and I have leupold mounts and nikon scope so I do not believe that is the problem. Which over the counter loads have yall Rem 700 30 06 shooters found to be the most accurate and deadly for deer?

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Remington CoreLokt in 150 grain shoot very well out of my 700. Shooting MM handloads now and theya re sweet, but not over the counter.

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I have not shot them thru a 700,,but I have a bolt action naught six that really likes the federal premium 165 boat tails.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
150gr power point, Federal Power shock, never had a bad grouping with those two boxes of "cheapy factory" ammo. :D

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
165 grain Winchester PSP is what mine likes. It will cut cloverleafs at 100 yards.
If it absolutely refuses to group, check the crown. The slightest little defect or ding will destroy groups.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
It has been ages since i ahve baught over the county 30-06 rounds for my hunting rifle.

But for my reloads I use 165 grain Sierra Spitzer Boat Tail on 56.5 grains of 4350 at 100 yards 3 shots make 1 hole.

One thing to consider is your eye releife. Not every one has the same eye releafe as the next person. If you did not have the scope set for you and the eye releafe is off then you are not getting the same hold on the gun or sight picture shot to shot.

What does the gun do at 50 yards or 25 yards?

·
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put the scope and mounts on so it fits me perfect. I also checked the crown and it still looks great, it is recessed so I think it is still good. Could how tight I hold the forearm be an issue? Is it possible that the barrel could be moving upwards before the bullet leaves it when I just barely have my hand on top of the scope?

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Form might be part of it, but I take it you haven't tried any other ammo?

Having your hand on the scope shouldn't make a difference. A think to be careful of is "pulling" the rifle with your wrist while squeezing the trigger. I also don't like to hold the forearm very tight. If I'm shootin off of sandbags on a bech, I don't even hold the forearm.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Factory ammo I would highly recommend Nosler Custom 180GR ballistic tips. Shoots 2750 FPS and my Remington Custom shop 700 will stack these at 100 and darn near 200. In my mind it is one of the best over the counter ammo's that I have bought.

It's pricey but I would put this as just as good or a very close second to a good handload.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Assuming you are useing sandbags or something to support the rifle I can tell you a couple of things that will affect grouping in my case. May be of some help yo you. Use a position that is strain free( block the rifle so it points at the bull with no force) Always rest the stock, not the barrel on the bags and make sure the toe is not in contact with the bench. The trigger is most important- should be easy to pull and a crisp trip. Also the trigger should be pulled in line with the barrel.

Most 700's have decent triggers, if not they are easily adjusted by a smith.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
[rquote=1488150&tid=103959&author=DADAKOTA]Remington CoreLokt in 150 grain shoot very well out of my 700.

I agree with DADA, try 150 grain.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
most accurate factory ammo in my 30-06 was federal premiums in 165 gr Sierra Game Kings, very very accurate.
i would check the action screws, in fact i would pull the rifle out of the stock and give it a good once over and look for any signs of a stock issue such as a crack or what not. then when tightening back down watch to make sure the action gets fully tighten into the stock, could have a action screw just a wisker too long and the action may not be able to be fully tightened into the stock because of it. i bet with a carefull eye to a couple things you can pinpoint the issue and cut those groups more than half. good luck and let us know what you find.
remington 700 is pretty common perhaps you might be able to borrow another stock from someone to see if it is the barrel or the stock. basicly you want a easy way to eliminate a variable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.