Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I have an old 3-point spreader that works pretty good for fertilizer and larger seed like wheat or rye but it is hard to spread the small seeds with them. I always use a hand seeder for that. I can't recommend one kind over another tho. I would say that one area to pay close attention to would be the gate levers. Some have a problem with coming loose and the gates close and you may not catch it for a while.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Not sure what brand mine is (it is ancient) but it works good even w/small seed like clover and rape. The one I have is not 3 pt (although it could be eaisly modified) it bolts to the drawbar and is run off a 12v power source. I had a Herd 3 pt PTO drive before this one and didn't like it nearly as well. I'll check the brand next time I walk out to the shop.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've got two: one of the cone shaped 3pt one like the farm stores sell....good for fertilizer or larger seeds but not good for clover seed unless you mix it in with the fertilizer. And an old Cyclone 3pt that's jury rigged onto a 3pt carryall since when I bought it the 3pt part was broken but it works well for the smaller seeds. I believe Herd seeders bought out Cyclone or at least a lot of the Herd parts look similar in the schematics I have seen. Last weekend I used it to broadcast 170lbs of clover seed and did another 70 pounds of foodplot alfalfa/IW clover seed and some WSG by hand with a hand broadcast seeder. I end up using the larger one once or twice a year and the Cyclone whenever I have a large field to do.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Get one PTO driven flex or rigid shaft okay. Make sure you have a good way to turn on or off the drop plate. My hopper is metal, if I had to buy over again I' d get a 6 bushel plastic hopper. I don't think any of them will do lime

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Unless the spreader has a very agressive agitator Ag lime will cake up. I spread mine by shovel from the back of a moving pickup up. About 10 ton total. It was work! :eek:

Now for the pelletized lime I don't know. But it'll get pricey.

·
5,092 Posts
[rquote=1589963&tid=110116&author=Mecheng]Unless the spreader has a very agressive agitator Ag lime will cake up. I spread mine by shovel from the back of a moving pickup up. About 10 ton total. It was work! :eek:

Now for the pelletized lime I don't know. But it'll get pricey.[/rquote]

They will spread pelletized lime but make sure there is no moisture in the bags. I left my bags out in the rain and they had pin size holes in them and the lime soaked up the moisture. it was a pain getting the spreader to work since the lime kept caking up from the moisture. so the lesson learned was not to take the bags out of the garage until they are ready to be used. yes pelletized lime is expensive but I still haven't found anyone to spread ag lime in KCMO so I don't have any other choice at this time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.