3 more ID's needed.

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by letemgrow, May 24, 2009.

1. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

1st

[file]58301[/file]

2. letemgrow

2nd

[file]58302[/file]

3. letemgrow

3rd

[file]58303[/file]

4. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Anyway you can get some bigger pics? Not that it would help me.

5. letemgrow

[rquote=1274121&tid=89190&author=HabitatMD]Anyway you can get some bigger pics? Not that it would help me.[/rquote]

I forgot my camera so I had to use the phone to take the pics :stickfight:. The last one had a lump about 2/3rds the way up the stem. At first I thought maybe it was gama grass, but the site is not right for it either. It is on the edge of a timber with only part sun.

I will have to get a real camera next time I am out and take some good pics.

6. jaytee

jaytee New Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Fair Grove
    2nd one sorta looks like wild cucumber. Brushy can help you out with that one I believe.:D

7. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
  8. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    If that second one doesn't have a woody stem, and grows about a 100 feet a day,:mad2:it's Bur Cucumber... I would need a better pic. If it is Bur Cucumber, it will grow into the tree tops, and smother them. When you attempt to pull it down, it will rain thiny sharp spines that embed in your skin through your clothes. Is it growing along a stream?

The first pic looks like Hemp.

9. Dane-ger

Dane-ger New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    :eek: I think the first one is Pot? :whistle:

10. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

11. letemgrow

[rquote=1274567&tid=89190&author=brushpile]If that second one doesn't have a woody stem, and grows about a 100 feet a day,:mad2:it's Bur Cucumber... I would need a better pic. If it is Bur Cucumber, it will grow into the tree tops, and smother them. When you attempt to pull it down, it will rain thiny sharp spines that embed in your skin through your clothes. Is it growing along a stream?

The first pic looks like Hemp.

[/rquote]

It is a vine growing in the creek bottom, so I bet it is the cucumber. Is it a native or an invasive?? I only spotted some here and there and it was not aggressive by any means...yet.

12. letemgrow

[rquote=1274239&tid=89190&author=HabitatMD]I'm going with Ohio Spiderwort on #3. It was just starting to bloom at our place. I've seen #1 and #2 before, but either forgot or never knew.

http://www.fws.gov/rockymountainarsenal/habitat/image/spiderwort.gif[/rquote]

That's what the 3rd one is, it is just starting to pop a bloom 2/3rds of the way up. Thanks MD!! :cheers:

13. letemgrow

The first one I thought may be the rocky mountain bee plant that I sowed this past winter. It is an annual so I figured it may be that tall already.

14. Dane-ger

Dane-ger New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    To prove ive never done drugs, Ive always associated Hemp and Pot. But they are not the same I assume?

15. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Hemp is a general reference to plants in the cannabis genus I think. cannabis sativa is the dope but there are many cannabis species (hemp) obviously used for industrial applications.

there are weeds with hemp in the name that are not actually in the hemp family.
    hemp sesbania is one and isnt related to industrial hemp at all (this is often mis-identified as partridgepea and vise versa in places where their distribution overlaps)
    hemp sesbania and sicklepod (often confused with coffee senna and vise verse) are both prominent weed in cotton systems in the south.

I dont think #2 is kudzu... the leaf arrangment isnt right.

16. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    #1 Is cinqfoil (possible sp) least Cummins won't know the difference, I know what is is

I know #2 I just can't think of it :mad2:

17. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    #2 could be just plain ol wild grape or similar.

18. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    [rquote=1274789&tid=89190&author=rat]#2 could be just plain ol wild grape or similar.[/rquote]

:thinking: Much as I hate to admit it you could be right, just an immature plant, while were going long though I'll put my .02 in, how far are we away from the nearest house could be english ivy gone bad :shrug::thinking:

19. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1274794&tid=89190&author=fishshooter][rquote=1274789&tid=89190&author=rat]#2 could be just plain ol wild grape or similar.[/rquote]

:thinking: Much as I hate to admit it you could be right, just an immature plant, while were going long though I'll put my .02 in, how far are we away from the nearest house could be english ivy gone bad :shrug::thinking:[/rquote]

i was thinkin wild grape too. no one's ever shown me wild cucmber, so i wouldnt know that one:shrug: