2lb or 4lb test line to use for trout

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by pa_yote_hunter, Apr 22, 2006.

1. pa_yote_hunter

pa_yote_hunter New Member

Oct 15, 2005
    Polk County, MO
    I am planning on going to a state park to fish for trout in two months (Bennett Springs State Park).

I was wondering if i should use 2lb test line or 4lb test line. I know that this river is fished heavily, so i am wondering if i downsize my line that the fish wont be as finicky to take my offering. I have always used 4lb and have usually cought about 2-4 a day there, but i was wondering if 2lb would increase my catch?

Steve

2. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Downsizeing and matching the right color to the water will usually increase hookups, but be gentle til you get used to it. changes drift speed, sinking speed and of course line strength.

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    If you are fishing with a fly rod with flies you can get by with 2 lb like PV says watch your hook set. I really haven't noticed much difference if using spinning gear between 2 and 4 lbs test. OR.........you can be like my nephew and use what his daddy (my non fishing little brother) bought him. Zebco 202 with 12 lb test. He managed to catch a few even with the heavy line.

4. pa_yote_hunter

Oct 15, 2005
    Polk County, MO
    i will be using spinning gear. When i flyfish i use 1-2 pound test for a tippet. I was just wondering if it would affect my catch ratio on spinning gear

5. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I'd stick to 4 pound with your spinning gear. But use a good quaility brand name.

6. pa_yote_hunter

Oct 15, 2005
    Polk County, MO
    what do you think about th vanish florocarbon line ?

7. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    A friend of mine says your line for trout fishing should be air colored.

8. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    :eek:

Parker

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    I dont see a difference between 2 and 4# line as far as hookups. Depends on the area you are fishing though.. Silver thread or SOS line is designed to blend in and supposedly has high tensile strength/small diameter. Other than that, I can only recommend that you dont buy STREN line.. for any type of fishing!!:soapbox:

IMHO, trout ability to visualize line is way overblown, within reason.. just stick with a line that is neutral or dull green in color and I think it'll be fine. This advice is for spinning rigs only... whole different set of circumstances with flyrod tippet material.

10. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
  11. Rthunter

Rthunter Senior Member

May 5, 2003
    Union, Mo
    With the way the streams are low and clear right now, I would go 2LB all the way. I prefer Maxima Ultra Green in 2 LB test. I use it year round.:cheers:

12. Bowhunter417

Bowhunter417 Active Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Taney County
    I'm a fan of 2lb and have always went with Ultra Green Maxima. If I fish Taneycomo I'll go to 4lb but for the state parks I stick with 2lb.

Just my two cents worth!!!

13. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    so will these tips work in wyoming to.our tag lets us fish ,but i havn't ever fished for trout before but since we are camped within twenty foot of a stream that seemed full of them.i though i would give it a try.ther is a lot of deep pools how do you fish those things?

14. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Sport or for meat? Sport you use flies on a fly rod. For meat....use spinning gear with 4# line with a night crawler.:D:D

15. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    meat all the way for this boy.we gonna have trout foe supper:cheers:

16. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    2lb Trilene lo-vis green in the Mo trout parks. 4lb lo-vis green on Taney. Just make sure you set your drag light.

17. pa_yote_hunter

Oct 15, 2005
    Polk County, MO
    used the two pound test line and have had the best year so far there!!!

18. RB.

RB. Senior Member

May 16, 2003
    warren county
    We used two pound last weekend and Montauk and caught a lot of fish. They can really be line shy in that clear water. I wish I could see the darn line to tie jigs on....I don't know how the fish can see some of the flies we use.

19. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    I used to always use 2lb. unless the water was up and murky then I would use 4lb. at Bennet Springs. I used to use invisable sewing thread when I fish Meremac Springs. I would catch a lot more fish when I used the sewing thread versus 2lb. test. I also lost a few bigguns, but what the heck! I had a blast with that light line on an ultra light setup.

20. billikenhunter

billikenhunter New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    st. louis
    i go to bennett every year and fly fish with 4 lb test . i always go home with a full stringer

whatever you feel more comfortable with