Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on going to a state park to fish for trout in two months (Bennett Springs State Park).

I was wondering if i should use 2lb test line or 4lb test line. I know that this river is fished heavily, so i am wondering if i downsize my line that the fish wont be as finicky to take my offering. I have always used 4lb and have usually cought about 2-4 a day there, but i was wondering if 2lb would increase my catch?

Steve

· Registered
4,449 Posts
Downsizeing and matching the right color to the water will usually increase hookups, but be gentle til you get used to it. changes drift speed, sinking speed and of course line strength.

· Registered
70,784 Posts
If you are fishing with a fly rod with flies you can get by with 2 lb like PV says watch your hook set. I really haven't noticed much difference if using spinning gear between 2 and 4 lbs test. OR.........you can be like my nephew and use what his daddy (my non fishing little brother) bought him. Zebco 202 with 12 lb test. He managed to catch a few even with the heavy line.

· Under appreciated
93,011 Posts
I dont see a difference between 2 and 4# line as far as hookups. Depends on the area you are fishing though.. Silver thread or SOS line is designed to blend in and supposedly has high tensile strength/small diameter. Other than that, I can only recommend that you dont buy STREN line.. for any type of fishing!!:soapbox:

IMHO, trout ability to visualize line is way overblown, within reason.. just stick with a line that is neutral or dull green in color and I think it'll be fine. This advice is for spinning rigs only... whole different set of circumstances with flyrod tippet material.

· Registered
8,318 Posts
2lb.

· Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm a fan of 2lb and have always went with Ultra Green Maxima. If I fish Taneycomo I'll go to 4lb but for the state parks I stick with 2lb.

Just my two cents worth!!!

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
so will these tips work in wyoming to.our tag lets us fish ,but i havn't ever fished for trout before but since we are camped within twenty foot of a stream that seemed full of them.i though i would give it a try.ther is a lot of deep pools how do you fish those things?

· PURE KILLER
38,014 Posts
meat all the way for this boy.we gonna have trout foe supper:cheers:

· Registered
2,389 Posts
I used to always use 2lb. unless the water was up and murky then I would use 4lb. at Bennet Springs. I used to use invisable sewing thread when I fish Meremac Springs. I would catch a lot more fish when I used the sewing thread versus 2lb. test. I also lost a few bigguns, but what the heck! I had a blast with that light line on an ultra light setup.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.