Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
‘06 or .270. 280 doesn’t have the support for ammo.

Reactions: kgdog

·
1,499 Posts
Of those three, .270 or .30-06 if you don't reload, honestly I would go 6.5CM or .308 over any of them if only using factory ammo. .280 but the AI version if you do reload (roughly between regular .280 and 7mm Rem Mag).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Of those three, .270 or .30-06 if you don't reload, honestly I would go 6.5CM or .308 over any of them if only using factory ammo. .280 but the AI version if you do reload (roughly between regular .280 and 7mm Rem Mag).
I don't know anyone who has the 6.5CM. how is the kick on that gun? I've shot a .270 and 30-06 kick is fine. I don't want something that I don't feel comfortable to target shoot. It will be used for deer hunting mainly but do enjoy shooting from time to time and don't want something that will bruise my shoulder after a few shots

·
1,499 Posts
I don't know anyone who has the 6.5CM. how is the kick on that gun? I've shot a .270 and 30-06 kick is fine. I don't want something that I don't feel comfortable to target shoot. It will be used for deer hunting mainly but do enjoy shooting from time to time and don't want something that will bruise my shoulder after a few shots
It'll be the least recoil of them all for the same weight rifle. .308 is more prevalent and the most available in stores though and similar recoil a a .270 or .280 and not a huge difference ballistics wise inside 200-300 yards.

6.5 Creedmoor < .308 Win/.270 Win/.280 Rem < .30-06

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
If you want something light on recoil,will kill deer,and you can target shoot then the perfect rifle for you is a 7mm-08 and you can find ammo easily.But if you never want to worry about ammo then .308 is also good an shoots the same .30 caliber bullet as the 30-06 while the 7mm-08 shoots the same bullets as the .280 you mentioned.Both of those rounds are lighter kicking and do everything the bigger ones do very easily with less recoil more fun to shoot

·
Mt Sterling, Mo
5,211 Posts
I have a 6.5cm,,,,,,shoots dime sized groups ,,lite kick ....similar to a 243 .....Ive had an 06 much bigger kick ........270 or 7mm08 is a good choice .........06 if going after bigger game than deer

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,276 Posts
I have a 6.5cm,,,,,,shoots dime sized groups ,,lite kick ....similar to a 243 .....Ive had an 06 much bigger kick ........270 or 7mm08 is a good choice .........06 if going after bigger game than deer
Living life under the creed of "Be like Rat"..... :D

Everyone knows the .280 Remington is the best of the ones he listed, I don't understand why he has not bought one yet...... :D

Maybe he's having second thoughts, and wants something uber-cool like a 6.5 Swede.... :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: kgdog

·
Mt Sterling, Mo
5,211 Posts
Just ammo availability is the reason i didnt pick the 280 ...7mm express No doubt an excellent cartouche choice ,,,,,,,,,,If the man reloads ,,,,,,,pick of the crop

·
Registered
31,954 Posts
If really makes no difference shooting deers inside 300 yards.
Of course everybody knows the best caliber in that class is the 280 Ackley Improved. You can still shoot 280 Rem and 7mm Express in it and several companies make factory Ackley ammo now. If you reload it really shines though.
In terms of cool, I will take Parker Otto Ackley's creation over any eurotrash calibers.

Reactions: timberdoodle

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
When a .223 will kill a deer, I'm not sure any of these "which calibers are best" conversations are very productive.

Hands down my favorite is 25-06. Its pretty hard to beat overall, I guess unless you are a rifle snob. And thats ok also.
A lot of folks just dont go plinking with deer rifles. By all of this reasoning, I could buy a .264, .257, .280 etc but in the end, all it would allow me to do is kill a deer (which I already have 7 other rifles that will) and brag about having the best rifle. Some people even have 2 or 3 of those calibers and still argue that each is the best one, given whatever argument is going at the time.

Killing a deer with a centerfire rifle is being made to be way too complicated these days.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,276 Posts
Killing a deer with a centerfire rifle is being made to be way too complicated these days.
Everyone agrees, that a Ruger No1 in 6.5x55 is perfection in a deer rifle..... But, some people don't care about having perfection. :unsure:

Reactions: 260rem and kgdog

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
If you want to stay with 30 caliber go to 300BO. If you want child tolerant recoil, 223 Rem shooting 60 grain Partitions is effective. Shot placement is key. If a person can't shoot well, they should hunt mushrooms.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,276 Posts

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,276 Posts
American Hunter Mag :D

"I’m well aware that the sheer number of .270 rifles will guarantee the future success of the cartridge, but coming from a design standpoint, the .280 Remington may just be the most efficient of the Springfield offspring. "

21 - 40 of 55 Posts