Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking to purchase a new deer rifle at the end of July. Looking for advice on the ones in the title. I’ve always like the 280 but would love to hear other’s opinions. Thanks in advance

also a scope to go with her

·
Former Chicken Man
20,352 Posts
Of those, the .270 would be my choice. Better trajectory than the 30-06, and better chance of finding ammo than for the .280. (I don't recall ever even seeing ammo for a .280, and I know nothing about them).

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,278 Posts
Well, I have owned all three, and killed a lot of deer with all of them.

IMHO.... The 280 remington is the very best of the 30-06 based cartridges for deer sized game. Yes, it may be harder to find ammo, but it's not that hard, and if you hand load even better. So many great 7mm bullets out there to choose from. The .280 Rem covers all the bases in a deer cartridge.

That said..... It really should come down to what rifle you want to buy, and is it available in the cartridge you want.

Honestly, all three of those are VERY GOOD deer cartridges. 30-06 will allow you to hunt with heavier bullets if you go after Moose or Elk is it's best advantage. If you are only gonna hunt deer, the .270 is hard to beat as well.

I would figure out what rifle you like, if you can get it in .280 Rem, I'd jump all over that. If not and you can only get it in 270 or 30-06, you will still have an excellent deer rifle.

Good luck, buying new deer rifles is always fun!!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,278 Posts
BTW.....

If you are looking to go .280 Rem...

You can currently get Browning X Bolts, Winchester Model 70's, Rem 700's, Ruger 77's all in .280 Rem.

Browning X bolt or Winchester Model 70 would be my choice of those..... Remington made the 700 Mountain rifles in 280 Rem, IMHO best of the Rem 700's for hunting.

Then, there are the semi-custom makes out there too.

Reactions: robert rossow

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
You will not go wrong with either one of those three listed, period.
That being said i shoot a M77 Mark II All Weather in .280 and love it. we also have a .270 and a 7-08 in the fold. I did have a 30-06 at one time and frankly there is not anything you'll be giving up with one over the other hunting whitetail here in Missouri. of the three however the .280 is the sexiest.

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
I own a .270, 7-08 , 28 Nosler, and a 30-06 in my honest opinion if this is truly just a deer rifle I would get a 7-08 or a .308

I love my .270 but now with them introducing the 6.8 Western and those factory loads being so accurate and heavier I think if I didn’t own a .270 I would purchase a 6.8 Western because it would be really good at knocking big bucks down all the way to Elk better than my .270

my vote is .308 for only deer and if you ever think you will want to go out west go 6.8 western because the factory ammo is so good with that caliber and last time I checked they had a bunch you could buy an store up for years to come for time being and .308 will always be available with that option

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks for all the info and help!! I will be going to the local gun store next week, he has all 3 in stock. Looking to replace my old 8mm Mauser. Hard to find ammo but can still get it for sure. Just want to retire that rifle till my 5yr old is ol enough to start hunting, as that will be her rifle then!

·
Super Moderator
25,888 Posts
Wow thanks for all the info and help!! I will be going to the local gun store next week, he has all 3 in stock. Looking to replace my old 8mm Mauser. Hard to find ammo but can still get it for sure. Just want to retire that rifle till my 5yr old is ol enough to start hunting, as that will be her rifle then!
let us know what you decide on, good luck!

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Sounds like a .270 would do you right.

·
Former Leader in Warning points!
10,777 Posts
IMO, there is not a single thing that any one of those cartridges can be used for that the other two won’t do equally well. I’d recommend that you only choose the .280 if you handload. I know there is some factory ammo available but not nearly as much as the other two.

As I always say in these situations, Choose the rifle first. Good Luck!

Reactions: glennasher1 and jsr

·
Registered
13,835 Posts
There's not a nickel's worth of difference between the 3 of them, especially if deer are all you'll hunt. I've used the .270 and .30/06 for years, and couldn't really tell any difference between them. I sold the '06 and kept the .270, mainly because I liked the individual rifle better, not because it killed any better. Deer are easy to kill.
However, if you want to hunt moose or elk, an '06 might be better, mainly because of all the good ammo available for it. If you're not going to hunt moose, just close your eyes and pick one.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts