Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input on a 250 Ackley? Have an opportunity to pick a browning Mauser that’s been re-barreled to a 250 ai. Seems like an interesting round. Looking for input.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Ballistics will be similar to a .257 Roberts, if you load it to it's capabilities. I'd leave it alone if you don't handload, though, it takes handloads to realize those capabilities. And wingman is 100% correct, the Creedmoor came from the .250AI necked up to 6.5. It should be a dandy deerslayer. They are usually very nice rifles, depending on who did the work.

·
Registered
31,423 Posts
It is considered one of the better Ackley improvements. Roberts ballistics in a short action and with much better behaving brass.
As Glenn said, you won't see any benefit if you don't reload though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Appreciate the input I know very little about the Ackley rounds. Sounds like it would be a fun cartridge to play around with. Luckily I am a hand loader and don’t mind tinkering.

Not sure of it’s value since it’s been altered? Which doesn’t bother me. It’s a Safari grade, wood is in good shape with a few handling marks. But the finish is kind of showing it’s age. It’s been re-barreled with a Hart, is bedded, etc. Does include the original 243 barrel as well. Only thing that makes me nervous is I know a lot these hi power rifles were “salty”.

·
Registered
31,423 Posts
If it was salt wood you would know by now. If you hand load you will love it.
The idea behind Ackley improved cases is that you can still fire factory ammo in an "improved" barrel. With a straighter case and 40* shoulders you have more case capacity but also the brass doesn't stretch near as much. You seldom have to trim and it lasts longer, in addition to a few more fps.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Hart barrels are usually excellent. I put a USED Hart barrel on a rifle I had (we had it rechambered from 6PPC to 6BR), and with any bullet 80gr. or under (it was a slow-twist barrel), it would shoot 3/8" or smaller groups. The guy I bought it from wasn't happy with it as a PPC, but since I had other plans, I didn't really care, and it would scatter prairie dog parts all over South Dakota. A ratkilling rifle doesn't have to win a BR match, but even so, most of the groups we got with it were about a quarter-inch or thereabouts. Not good enough for BR matches, but plenty good enough for rodent eradication. Deer should be even easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts