Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone who is looking to possibly sell this rifle. I love the Savage 99, but dont know much about the 250 round.

Good deer round? Any ammo choices still out there?

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
250-3000 Savage
(250-3000)

A new cartridge with a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps wouldn't cause today's hunters to look twice, but can you imagine what a ruckus it would kick up if the fastest commercially produced big game cartridge available was the Winchester 30-30? This was exactly the situation when Savage introduced the .250-3000 cartridge back in 1915. Charles Newton, who designed the cartridge, urged Savage to introduce it with a 100 grain bullet, but in order to to reach the desired velocity of 3000 fps, bullet weight was reduced to 87 grains. Later, a 100 grain factory load was made available, making the .250 a more suitable cartridge for shooting deer.

Even though the .250-3000 took a back seat to the Winchester and Remington 6mm cartridges during the 1950's, there isn't two cents worth of difference in performance between the new and the old. Recent testing of the .250 in a Remington Model 700 Classic and Ruger Model 77 proved once again that when loaded with modern powders, the .250 will push a 100 grain bullet to over 3000 fps. Velocity with the 75 grain bullet averaged 3400 fps. A number of groups fired with both bullets measure less than MOA. Presently, the Ruger Model 77 and Remington's Custom Shop version of the XP-100 are the only factory firearms available in this caliber.

For all around hunting of deer sized game, the 100 grain bullet is hard to beat. Woods hunters who prefer deeper penetration for quartering shots on game usually opted for heavier bullets. The .250-3000 is not at all choosy about the powder it is fed, but the author has had best results with H414, H380, IMR-4320, and W-760.

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
I might add that when you find a box of 20 shells it will set you back $50....and up. If you reload the cost of just empties is $23 for 20. If you end up buying this gun be prepared to use it sparingly with the shells being scarce but they are out there if you look for them. Still a great rifle which ever the caliber you have. I have one in the more popular .308 caliber. Haven't shot it in 5 or 6 years. Just sitting in its permanent home in the back of my gun safe.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
MM, where did you find those ammo prices at? Just curious. Cabela's is advertising 100gr corelokts for $30 per 20 and Winchester still makes rounds also. :shrug:

To answer the original question. From what I have read, the people that have them, don't ever sell them.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
I had one and sold it. Boy had to have a new laptop for college. I wish I still had it! Mine was made in 1949 and looked like new.

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
[rquote=1495119&tid=104381&author=Heeler75]MM, where did you find those ammo prices at? Just curious. Cabela's is advertising 100gr corelokts for $30 per 20 and Winchester still makes rounds also. :shrug:
[/rquote]

Those were for the Nosler and Barnes loaded shells. Like you stated...Cabela's sells the cheaper shells....as usual. I just prefer the "better" bullets...but either will take down a buck. Just my preference.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
[rquote=1495150&tid=104381&author=Mailman][rquote=1495119&tid=104381&author=Heeler75]MM, where did you find those ammo prices at? Just curious. Cabela's is advertising 100gr corelokts for $30 per 20 and Winchester still makes rounds also. :shrug:
[/rquote]

Those were for the Nosler and Barnes loaded shells. Like you stated...Cabela's sells the cheaper shells....as usual. I just prefer the "better" bullets...but either will take down a buck. Just my preference.[/rquote]

10-4. I forgot about Barnes and also Nosler doing custom loads.

I do agree on liking some of the more premium stuff and reloading wouldn't be a bad idea at all. :cheers:

P.S. I shouldn't have forgot about Nosler as it's about $3.50/trigger pull for my 338-06 and 200gr Accubonds. :rof2:

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I cant beat the price. Gun is in good shape as well.
I want something for deer around here thats a little better than a 30-30 yet not as wicked as my 300. Thought it might be a good caliber. :cheers:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
I'd say it would be a great round to fit your your stable of rifles. From the research I did this morning, the 250 Savage and 257 Roberts are kinda similar.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
a friend of mine has one, that has been passed down for several generations. Its a good shooting gun, tight groups with factory winchester ammo, no recoil. Not quite as flat shooting as a .243 or 6mm remmington, but not too bad... a neat gun all around

·
In Mourning ___ Save the Ninja
4,996 Posts
i ll take it if you dont want it ............is it a takedown model or a solid frame ?

·
Registered
13,736 Posts
I have a friend out in Rapid City SD, with a safe full of Savage 99s, in almost every chambering. He's a good guy and all, but I don't think he'll "will" any of them to me. Ornery old goat, anyhow.:)

If I were after one, I think the .250/3000 is the one I'd want, or the .300 Savage, I'm not too choosy about it. I'd rather have the solid frame, they're usually more accurate than the take-down models, but beggars can't be choosers.

They came in lots of fun chamberings, .22 Hi=Power, .22/250,.243, .25/35, .250/3000, .284 (rare) .30/30, .303 Savage, .300 Savage, .308, .358, .38/55
and maybe some I missed or forgot about. Neat guns. They'd probably cost $2000 today, to make and build in new production.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This gun probably hasnt been shot in 10 years. Its been in a gun safe. It has a little rust starting to show, but nothing that cant be fixed. I had a Savage 99 in .243 when I was a kid, but it got stolen along with my Mohawk in .222.

It has a box of shells with it and I would be that they are from the 1970s from the looks of the box.

Glenn, I can get this for a little over a 10th of that price. :cheers: :claphands:

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
I don't think you can touch one now days for under $500 no matter what caliber unless it is from a good friend that owes you.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
When I sold mine on Auction Arms a few years ago the final bid was a tad over $700.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He wants $300, but has to check with his dad first. :whinging:

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
better jump all over that one with both feet. and if you don't want it i'll take it for that. :eek::

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Waiting for him to get back to me on it. :D

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welp. That one fell through. Apparently the gun has some family history, and he should have never offered it for sale. His dad and I are pretty good friends and I understood after talking to him. It was his grandfathers last deer rifle he bought before he passed on. His dad handed it off to him and so forth.

He did tell me he had a .32 special though..........:thinking:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts