Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
well, I've never seen you miss..... :D

It's not that tough to be a good rifle shot, although it would seem many missouri deer hunters have a real struggle with it. :D
It’s tough to hold your beer, your rifle, count the rack, hit the deer and to not spill your busch. Especially with that 30-06 recoil…

·
2,097 Posts
I’m wanting to get my 17yr old daughter her own deer rifle and I’ve narrowed it down to these two calibers.

Does the 6.5 have the same, less or comparable recoil to the .243?

Kinda leaning towards the 6.5 even though I swore that I’d never buy one 🤣
tikka t3x is a great rifle. Get her a 243 and slay the earth.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I appreciate all the reply’s and insight. I should’ve mentioned that, fit, recoil, ammo availability and use for other things besides deer had already been takin into consideration. We have narrowed it down to the Savage Axis XP compact rifle. She has shot one several times and really likes it. I just can’t decide between the 6.5 & .243. More with the hopes that she’d like to chase some other big game in the future. She’s already a 🦃 slayer

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I appreciate all the reply’s and insight. I should’ve mentioned that, fit, recoil, ammo availability and use for other things besides deer had already been takin into consideration. We have narrowed it down to the Savage Axis XP compact rifle. She has shot one several times and really likes it. I just can’t decide between the 6.5 & .243. More with the hopes that she’d like to chase some other big game in the future. She’s already a 🦃 slayer
6.5 then, it will be better suited for larger game within reason… probably not wise on an Alaskan hunt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those savage axis actions are HUGE, irregardless of caliber. I have one, with a youth stock, much heavier than my model 7. Then again, grip is very small, thumb safety, and the extra weight will further dampen recoil. Hmmmmm……. Might be just the ticket. Get a generous pic rail so you get an ideal scope position. Good luck & stay safe

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
You may want to consider the 7mm-08 then..... My friend killed a big ole Montana Muley with the one I put together for him 2 years ago. Gives her enough rifle to go after critters up to Elk size..... So, if that's your goal, and she obviously looks like she would be able to handle the recoil of it, that's probably what I'd be looking at. A 140 gr accubond out of a 7mm-08 is pretty lethal stuffl

Reactions: Goose2

·
Don't mind me
10,181 Posts
You may want to consider the 7mm-08 then..... My friend killed a big ole Montana Muley with the one I put together for him 2 years ago. Gives her enough rifle to go after critters up to Elk size..... So, if that's your goal, and she obviously looks like she would be able to handle the recoil of it, that's probably what I'd be looking at. A 140 gr accubond out of a 7mm-08 is pretty lethal stuffl
A few years ago I was elk hunting my *** off in Colorado looking for elk and out of nowhere appears a 10 all by herself in the middle of the woods. She was walking back to drop her 7-08 off and get frame packs to haul out her bull she just shot. I thought I was in heaven there for a minute, but it was too good to be true, the boyfriend was a few hundred yards away cutting up the elk...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I’m in the 7-08 camp. I think it’s the best deer round there is. Mainly because I like short action calibers. But 1) the ammo has become about non-existent. Even more so than other calibers and 2) are there very many manufacturers still making guns in that caliber? Maybe there is high-end models available but at least in the black plastic cheap end (Ruger American, Savage Axis, etc.) I haven’t seen that caliber offered in years. It’s all 6.5 cm now in that caliber niche.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I’m in the 7-08 camp. I think it’s the best deer round there is. Mainly because I like short action calibers. But 1) the ammo has become about non-existent.

I think i have about 2 boxes maybe a round or 2 missing in each box, I use to have a Savage lefty 7mm08(maybe 111 model) and an Encore pistol but sold both. Sounds like the ammo is a unicorn or like gold, maybe i should hold on to it in case i buy another 7mm08 some day.

·
Don't mind me
10,181 Posts
I’m in the 7-08 camp. I think it’s the best deer round there is. Mainly because I like short action calibers. But 1) the ammo has become about non-existent. Even more so than other calibers and 2) are there very many manufacturers still making guns in that caliber? Maybe there is high-end models available but at least in the black plastic cheap end (Ruger American, Savage Axis, etc.) I haven’t seen that caliber offered in years. It’s all 6.5 cm now in that caliber niche.
I've got a 7-08 savage axis ii and it's a tack driver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was at Bass Pro in Springfield couple weeks ago: they had about 50 boxes of Hornady American Whitetail in 7mm-08. Picked up 2 then ($31 a box) Daughter grabbed me another last night. Stopped in 4 other gun shops while there. All had 7mm-08. $40-$50 a box but they were more premium types. Bought 4 boxes of 243 Federal Fusions at one of those shops. ($30 & change per box). Get back here and Walmart has blue box 243 for under $25 and one of the Winchester offerings but don’t know price or type. Pawn shop in the next town over has both chambering as well. It can’t be all here in the Bootheel.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

150gr SP 7-08 to your front door. Great brass too. Free shipping over $149 and Norma has said they will load the tip strike in 7mm-08 if you need a higher performance round.

• Helpful
Reactions: beanpile
61 - 80 of 84 Posts