Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
The tirdy tirdy kills em deader than that 6.5 man bun but only out to 2 miles instead of 5.
I dont brag one bit about it.

Its not like I go around constantly saying how the 6.5 swede is somehow better than everyone elses choice and constantly posting pictures of my rifle. :D

• Haha
Reactions: bluecan

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
I dont brag one bit about it.

Its not like I go around constantly saying how the 6.5 swede is somehow better than everyone elses choice and constantly posting pictures of my rifle. :D
If your rifle looked as good as mine, you would..... yada yada yada.... The only reason you even shot that buck last year was so you could brag on what a long and great shot it was..... What other reason could there be? :D

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
If your rifle looked as good as mine, you would..... yada yada yada.... The only reason you even shot that buck last year was so you could brag on what a long and great shot it was..... What other reason could there be? :D
It wasnt a long shot... 200yds is not a long shot. Its not like it was a 380yd shot with 50mph crosswind down the depths of some coulee in MT or anything. :D I didnt brag once about killing that deer, in fact I did the opposite. I rightly apologized to all of the expert big buck killers here for big-eyeing a rack.

I dont buy rifles to post pictures here and brag on so I have no need for a ruger no 1. They are quite fetching though. I guess I just wouldnt involve myself in a rifle comparing contest around the campfire until such time as I can get a rifle that would compete.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
It wasnt a long shot... 200yds is not a long shot. Its not like it was a 380yd shot with 50mph crosswind down the depths of some coulee in MT or anything. :D I didnt brag once about killing that deer, in fact I did the opposite. I rightly apologized to all of the expert big buck killers here for big-eyeing a rack.

I dont buy rifles to post pictures here and brag on so I have no need for a ruger no 1. They are quite fetching though. I guess I just wouldnt involve myself in a rifle comparing contest around the campfire until such time as I can get a rifle that would compete.
Well, saying it wasn't a long shot because it was only 200 yds is the epitome of 6.5cm dbaggery. :D Most guys can't hit a deer at 2 hundy...... Why else would we hear all those repetitive shots during rifle season?? :D

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
Well, saying it wasn't a long shot because it was only 200 yds is the epitome of 6.5cm dbaggery. :D Most guys can't hit a deer at 2 hundy...... Why else would we hear all those repetitive shots during rifle season?? :D
It was a dead hold-on shot from that distance. I guess if a person cannot hit a deer with no elevation or windage necessary, a rest and a 9 power scope at 200 yds, you would be right.
I didnt find it all that challenging and I'm not a rifle guy at all, as you can well attest.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
It was a dead hold-on shot from that distance. I guess if a person cannot hit a deer with no elevation or windage necessary, a rest and a 9 power scope at 200 yds, you would be right.
I didnt find it all that challenging and I'm not a rifle guy at all, as you can well attest.
well, I've never seen you miss..... :D

It's not that tough to be a good rifle shot, although it would seem many missouri deer hunters have a real struggle with it. :D

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
well, I've never seen you miss..... :D

It's not that tough to be a good rifle shot, although it would seem many missouri deer hunters have a real struggle with it. :D
I shot about a foot over a coyote the day before. :D :D

I think that was why Chris asked me about a 270yd shot before I pulled the trigger. lol I just told him we'd be fine.

People need to stop looking at the antlers and kill the freaking deer already.

• Helpful
Reactions: callaojoe

·
Registered
12 Posts
To complicate your decision more rather than 6.5 vs 243. why don't you go with a 6mm creedmoor? little better balistics and faster than 243 and better bullet coefficient and more energy and suspect the recoil is identical. Not sure what shell supply is right now if you shooting factory however. I wouldn't buy one if you had a 243 but if you were buying would consider the 6mm creed but we know 243 be around forever but will the 6 creed....?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m wanting to get my 17yr old daughter her own deer rifle and I’ve narrowed it down to these two calibers.

Does the 6.5 have the same, less or comparable recoil to the .243?

Kinda leaning towards the 6.5 even though I swore that I’d never buy one 🤣
You can’t go wrong with the 243 ammunition is everywhere it’s a very accurate low recoil round as far as 6.5 Creedmoor goes you’d be better off with the 2506 unless you’re planning on doing really long range consummate shooter type commitment if you compare than 2506 is everything the 6.5 Creedmoor is, my first rifle was a 243 and I never even bought a scope for it.
Very easy to shoot. She can step up later if she wants to. That’s my recommendation good luck and congratulations on having a shooter for a daughter.I

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I can be contrary. If recoil is an issue, and the shooter can be disciplined regarding shot placement, 223 with appropriate 60 or 65 gr soft points is effective. I have used a Mini 14 and AR. A bolt gun would work as well. With young hunters, I have found side by side hunting / coaching beneficial.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
BTW, just for comparison sake......

We're talking about the difference between a 6, 6.5 and 7mm bullet here. All will flat stone a whitetail.

I handload 100gr Sierra's for my wife's .243, it's a T/C Venture and she could shoot it all day long.

IMHO, if it was for a boy, I'd go 7mm-08, for a lady I just like the .243 and those 100gr bullets.

My wife loves her rifle and is quite protective of it. I only get to shoot it to verify zero each fall. :D

Unless they plan to hunt bigger game than a whitetail, the .243 is all a person would ever need.
My daughter is the same way i had all the equipment to reload and put together some 100 grain Nosler partitions and it shoots lights out if the person pulling the trigger does their job. It is a Tikka T3 i am hoping to put a better scope on it this year before season. I asked my daughter last year after she killed her buck with it(one shot to the heart) if she wanted it i would sale it to her cheap and she said 'No' she would just use it and wait for me to die then take it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My daughter is the same way i had all the equipment to reload and put together some 100 grain Nosler partitions and it shoots lights out if the person pulling the trigger does their job. It is a Tikka T3 i am hoping to put a better scope on it this year before season. I asked my daughter last year after she killed her buck with it(one shot to the heart) if she wanted it i would sale it to her cheap and she said 'No' she would just use it and wait for me to die then take it.
Sounds like my kids

·
2,097 Posts
either one is perfect for any deer hunting scenario in Missouri. Gwen shoots a 243, I shoot a 6.5 grendel, 308, and 6.5 creedmoor. all are lower recoil, flat shooting and cleanly kill deer of all sizes. Currently 243, 7mm-08, 30-06, and 6.5 grendel ammo is difficult to locate. 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 ammo is everywhere.

Find the gun that fits the best and then choose the cartridge for the gun.

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
I have a T3 in 25-06 that I will likely hunt with this year. For a relatively inexpensive gun, it does shoot very well with my handloads. It is also very light on recoil and you can get pills around 110 which are plenty good for deer of all sizes and doesnt push the shoulder very much at all.
Not necessarily advocating for that cartridge but rather the platform. I bet that gun is a shooter.

Reactions: liv2hunt
41 - 60 of 84 Posts