Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wanting to get my 17yr old daughter her own deer rifle and I’ve narrowed it down to these two calibers.

Does the 6.5 have the same, less or comparable recoil to the .243?

Kinda leaning towards the 6.5 even though I swore that I’d never buy one 🤣

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I know you asked an A or B question, but you might want to kick around a 7mm-08 too. Slightly flatter shooting and hits harder than the creedmore inside 500 yards. Hits harder than the .243. Not a whole lot more recoil than either. Reduced recoil loads available if need be. As far as recoil goes, my 9 yr old has been shooting his 7-08 since he was 7 with no issues.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Recoil on a 243 is about 5 ft lbs less than the 6.5CM. Both have a soft recoil and neither will harm your daughter. I have and use a 6.5cm and love it. It’s a cheap Ruger American and is extremely accurate, but is ammo sensitive with mine much preferring 143g.

·
Don't mind me
10,181 Posts
All mentioned are pretty much the same casing so I’d just say the heavier the bullet the harder the recoil. Reduced recoil rounds are an option as mentioned before and the kid could grow into a larger more versatile caliber.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I’m wanting to get my 17yr old daughter her own deer rifle and I’ve narrowed it down to these two calibers.

Does the 6.5 have the same, less or comparable recoil to the .243?

Kinda leaning towards the 6.5 even though I swore that I’d never buy one 🤣
Neither because a 7mm-08 is best possible deer rifle you could purchase for her

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have and hunt with all 3. 7mm-08 since ‘90, 243 since ‘94, and last couple I’ve owned a Creedmoor. Tho none have significant recoil the 243 has noticeably less. Their effectiveness on deer (mulies & whitetail) as well as antelope are pretty equal. The big factor will be gun fit and balance as well as a scope that they can easily use. Good hunting and stay safe.
Tap Wood Table Plumbing fixture Flooring

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

Door Wood Purple Textile Pink

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
6.5cm, went thru this exercise last year. 6.5cm easier to find ammo today due to the fad. Many come with muzzle brakes further reducing the recoil. Ammo ranging from 110gr to 156gr. Rifles ranging from a threaded Ruger American at $500-$600 to several thousand $ browning and sako’s. 243 is an excellent round, I do have one for my son, but if I’m being honest with myself I’d rather shoot my Kimber 6.5cm with brake than my model 7 in 243 and they are at the same price point, similar size but my Kimber is actually lighter. The 143gr ELD-X obliterated my buck last year and is very fun to target shoot with. So, of your choices and even tossing in the 7-08, I’d still go with the 6.5cm and not look back.

Reactions: Goose2

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Like @Dewman said, fit is probably the most important part. Model 7 in 243, 7-08 or 6.5cm provide a great fit for a smaller frame, Savage and the Accufit is very flexible and I had recent success calling Ruger and getting the replacement youth stock option for short action calibers. (Didn’t work for my nephew’s .270 american, customer service said the LA’s were not made with youth stocks) Seeing what you can find that fits best is probably worth more than the small advantages/disadvantages of each caliber.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
My wife has been hammering deer with her .243. I do like the 7mm-08 better, but the lighter recoil of the 243 is why I got her the .243. Plenty of rifle for whitetails. She has 5 one shot kills with it.

so, for your daughter, I am gonna say 243. Jst teach her to take good shots 😎

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
My wife has been hammering deer with her .243. I do like the 7mm-08 better, but the lighter recoil of the 243 is why I got her the .243. Plenty of rifle for whitetails. She has 5 one shot kills with it.

so, for your daughter, I am gonna say 243. Jst teach her to take good shots 😎
You only got your wife the .243 so she wouldn’t shoot a larger caliber than you,tell the people the truth 👀

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had to make the same decision 2 years ago with my oldest son. He was 11 at the time and I was worried about recoil and was leaning towards the 7-08 especially with hearing people talk bad about the 6.5 CM. What made up my mind was when he went hunting with my dad at the end of the season and used his 6.5. He killed a doe and when I saw the hole it left in her and when he said it didn’t kick at all I went ahead and got him a Winchester XPR in 6.5. It is an amazing gun. Shoots great, hardly any recoil, and is crazy accurate. He shoots the Hornady Precision Hunter 143 grain ELD and they will put a hole in a deer. If you are just choosing between the .243 and the 6.5 I would choose the 6.5. Recoil isn’t that much different and the .243 will not leave the blood trail that the 6.5 does.

This is my experience and I know that others will say differently.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
You only got your wife the .243 so she wouldn’t shoot a larger caliber than you,tell the people the truth 👀
Well, she's a good shot too, and I had all the dies, brass etc for the .243. :D .243 is for people who know how to shoot. :D

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
BTW, just for comparison sake......

We're talking about the difference between a 6, 6.5 and 7mm bullet here. All will flat stone a whitetail.

I handload 100gr Sierra's for my wife's .243, it's a T/C Venture and she could shoot it all day long.

IMHO, if it was for a boy, I'd go 7mm-08, for a lady I just like the .243 and those 100gr bullets.

My wife loves her rifle and is quite protective of it. I only get to shoot it to verify zero each fall. :D

Unless they plan to hunt bigger game than a whitetail, the .243 is all a person would ever need.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts