Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any recommendations on bullet size to use on yotes out of a .243?

i am pondering the idea of getting rid of my 22-250 to get a light caliber deer round and then also light enough to use on yotes and not do to much damage....but i havent found any real great ballistic info showing lighter weight 243 bullets performing well on yotes.....

any thoughts?

·
Former Chicken Man
20,146 Posts
I'd expect any .243 would do just fine to kill them, but to reduce pelt damage I always heard Ballistic Tip bullets were great because they'd fragment enough to avoid large exit holes. I haven't done it myself, but that's what I was told. Light loads, light bullets and easy fragmenting bullets.

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
Borrow Brad's 375 H&H and don't worry about the damage.

J/K

Don't know but I would like to know the same thing. I am planning to buy a yote/deer gun after x-mas and was leaning towards the 243.

BTH

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
[rquote=1505617&tid=105024&author=Big Time Hunter]Borrow Brad's 375 H&H and don't worry about the damage.

J/K

Don't know but I would like to know the same thing. I am planning to buy a yote/deer gun after x-mas and was leaning towards the 243.

BTH[/rquote]

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I am gonna take the big boomer out for some yote hunting cuz I really ain't worried about pelt damage and don't have the need to get one mounted.

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[rquote=1505618&tid=105024&author=Heeler75][rquote=1505617&tid=105024&author=Big Time Hunter]Borrow Brad's 375 H&H and don't worry about the damage.

J/K

BTH[/rquote]

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I am gonna take the big boomer out for some yote hunting cuz I really ain't worried about pelt damage and don't have the need to get one mounted.[/rquote]judging by what that kudu in africa told me, those yotes dont have anything to worry about :peepwall::peepwall::peepwall:

actually BTH i have an idea to sell the 22-250 and get me a new remington r-25 in .243

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,884 Posts
I'd think something like a 58gr Hornady V-max would be the ticket in a great .243 yote load......:thinking:

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1505615&tid=105024&author=GoGop]I'd expect any .243 would do just fine to kill them, but to reduce pelt damage I always heard Ballistic Tip bullets were great because they'd fragment enough to avoid large exit holes. I haven't done it myself, but that's what I was told. Light loads, light bullets and easy fragmenting bullets.[/rquote]guess that is the key in one side and not out the other

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
ryan >>>>>>:stickfight:<<<<<<<Heeler

Yeah, I know I missed on that dang kudu....Even greatness has bad days. :peepwall: :D

If you want that R-25 I think ****s in Merriam had one a while back. Only about 14 Bens.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
I like CJ's idea of the V-Max.

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1505626&tid=105024&author=Heeler75]ryan >>>>>>:stickfight:<<<<<<<Heeler

Yeah, I know I missed on that dang kudu....Even greatness has bad days. :peepwall: :D

If you want that R-25 I think ****s in Merriam had one a while back. Only about 14 Bens. [/rquote]i aint paying 14bens but would toss the idea around

its either sell the 22-250 and get a r25 or keep it and just get a nicer scope

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,884 Posts
You can get the V-max in 58 gr, and 65 gr for the .243.... I'd try em both, and I just looked... They are on sale at Cabelas. :)

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[rquote=1505630&tid=105024&author=callaojoe]You can get the V-max in 58 gr, and 65 gr for the .243.... I'd try em both, and I just looked... They are on sale at Cabelas. :)[/rquote]now i cant get on hornaday site, but the v-max line is specially designed for predators and varmints, correct?

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,884 Posts
Yep,

And if you don't reload... Natchez has em already loaded for $24 a box....

Natchez 58gr Hrndy VMAX

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by callaojoe]

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1505616&tid=105024&author=Gakic24]65 gr ballistic tip!![/rquote]
Definately would be a good yote round !

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1505634&tid=105024&author=callaojoe]Yep,

And if you don't reload... Natchez has em already loaded for $24 a box....

Natchez 58gr Hrndy VMAX

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by callaojoe][/rquote]
Even better !

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,884 Posts
V-Max bullets have a polymer tip that causes rapid fragmentation at all velocities and a profile that provides the greatest possible bearing surface for added stability out of the barrel. The violent disruption is further aided by the swaged lead core which is precisely formed with a cavity beneath the tip that causes the polymer insert to act as a wedge. Some weights and calibers are available with a molybdenum disulfide coating that improves velocity and accuracy and reduces barrel wear. Even in long-range, low-velocity situations, the V-Max initiates dramatic fragmentation, making it deadly on varmints.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
[rquote=1505629&tid=105024&author=ryanlowe02][rquote=1505626&tid=105024&author=Heeler75]ryan >>>>>>:stickfight:<<<<<<<Heeler

If you want that R-25 I think ****s in Merriam had one a while back. Only about 14 Bens. [/rquote]i aint paying 14bens but would toss the idea around

its either sell the 22-250 and get a r25 or keep it and just get a nicer scope [/rquote]

Cabela's is listing the R-25 for $1,339.

If you are really serious about keeping the 22-250 you can either get a different stock, bed it, trigger job it, and also get a new scope for decent money. I'm thinking a VX-3 with Varmint Reticule would be pretty sweet. :D

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,884 Posts
I have some 55gr V-Max to load up for my 223..... Just ain't had time to do it yet.....:whinging:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts