Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey what ammo do you .243 guys use for yotes and such. i am about to receive shipment of a .243 in the next couple weeks. i was at ****s Sporting goods yesterday and they had some ammo on clearence and as i looked i found some Win. surpreme 60 gr silver tips for 7.00 a box. there where only 4 boxes left so i grabed them all. if i had been there last week i could have cleaned house on ammo. i also got the last box of .17 hmr they had on clearence for 3.90 a box. i would have bought a case of it had i gone in last week. what box ammo do you guys prefer in this new to me caliber?

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
That'll work, but it isn't fur-friendly:D Then again, nothing in the .243 is fur-friendly:D:D Dad always used 80 grain factory loads, for everything, coyotes, deer, whatever he wanted to shoot with it. I haven't owned a .243 for quite awhile, but my buddy's little rifle liked the latest 58 grain load from Hornady, with the V-Max bullet. It shot that load very well.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glen it is a ruger m77 mark II all weather. it is, oh how do i say this ?? replacing my savage 12bvss .223. i traded my savage to a guy for the ruger, topped with a leupold vari-x II 3x9x40 and a couple hundred cash into my pocket. my sons will use it for deer hunting and i'l use it for some varmenting that the .17 hmr can't handle. plus i can carry it into the woods which the savage at nearly 12 lb's wasn't as user friendly on. i will get another pure varment gun another day but right now i just don't have the time i want to go on the hunts to justify it. my .17hmr will fill my 100 yd plinking needs for now. i do want to shed that ugly tupperware stock and i might go a laminate thumbhole on this one.

·
Registered
70,620 Posts
Those 60 grains should work just fine. Back in the days that I hunted coyotes with a pack of dogs I loaded up Sierra 60 grain Hollow Point with 45.7 grains of 4831 that put it leaving the barrel at 3300 fps. Didn't leave much of the pelt but sure reached out there and knocked them in the dirt. Those days the fur wasn't worth much even on a good yote. Those 60 grains silver tips should be running around 3300 to 3400 fps which should be great for PD's, ground hogs and coyotes out to 3 to 4 hundred yards. I wouldn't use those shells on deer tho. Wouldn't work to well....just a bit light in the lead catagory. Move up to the 100 grain which will stop any deer in Missouri.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no mailman, i hear you. i have my thoughts on deer rounds which is all i ever realy followed in the .243. my ignorance on this caliber is the varment rounds and what's readily available out there in a box lunch format. those thiner jacketed bullets are what gave the .243 such a bad rap in the beginning in terms of it being a real deer gun or not.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this winter i want to try my hand at it. i was going to go into it whole hog this past winter but i got laid up with a herniated disk all friggen winter. in fact i still have some lingering pains that i hope eventualy go away as i despise surgery. i lived on pain killers the entire month of jan. & feb 24/7. did physical therapy and some injections into my spine. i don't have a ton of places yet but i'm looking into it.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Let me know if you need some company! Also, I have a chronic break in my hand that I take 2400mg of pain killers a day as well. I deal with it with constant working out and mind over matter.

·
Registered
731 Posts
What are the pelts bringin? I didnt think they was worth anything anymore. We go out and shoot them and leave them lay. Then again they are normally riddled with bullet holes, we kill them with AK47, M16, Mac 10 and beltfeds just for the fun of it. They are thick out here, we just do it for fun when they are out. If they are worth anything i might kill them with a different metod.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by BELTFEDMG
What are the pelts bringin? I didnt think they was worth anything anymore. We go out and shoot them and leave them lay. Then again they are normally riddled with bullet holes, we kill them with AK47, M16, Mac 10 and beltfeds just for the fun of it. They are thick out here, we just do it for fun when they are out. If they are worth anything i might kill them with a different metod.
the pelts still aren't worth a hoot but my preferance on shooting them is sniping them with one well placed shot. if you miss you don't get a second one as he will be in the next zip code by the time you throw the bolt. if they are out a ways and you're shooting something alongs the line of a .223 or .204 you can watch the bullet hit.:rotfl:

·
Registered
17,005 Posts
55 grain ballistic tips with IMR 4064 powder. I would have to check about the grains to be sure since i am away from my table and would not want to give a wrong load. Use of everything from p-dogs to yotes with no problems and when hit good little fur damage on yotes. if a shoulder hit then fur damage is impressive.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I never used 243 but the 308, 8mm, 3006 and 223 seem to do just fine on not damaging the skins, i also use nothin but full metal jacket, no soft points, im sure that helps. Im sure alot of them i hit run off and die elsewhere.

The guys down here drive around followin the dogs they turned loose with radio collars on and they shoot yotes with shotguns.

They are thick here, sometimes ya look in the back yard and they are in the yard sniffin round. I mow em down when i can but they keep comin back. Lot of times i sit on the deck and watch them at night pouncin on feild mice, they are kinda fun to watch at times.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey guys i was at ****s sporting goods again today and they had found some more of that .243 ammo (Winchester surpreme55 gr. balistic tips) and they have about 8 more boxes of it on the shelf for 7.40 or so a box. regular price is 23.00, so if anyone in st. louis shoots it i would get by there now. i added a couple more boxes to what i bought last week.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Originally posted by BELTFEDMG
I dont get on a :soapbox: much but after reading through this post I got a little disturbed. I usually dont mind what other people are doing but seriously. After checking the other post with pics of guns. Isnt it illegal to hunt anything with "full" auto weapon? And arent full metal jackets illegal too? I just got back from freezing my butt off trying to call in a yote and "we kill them with AK47, M16, Mac 10 and beltfeds just for the fun of it." and "i also use nothin but full metal jacket, no soft points, im sure that helps. Im sure alot of them i hit run off and die elsewhere." this what i read when i check on here. Nothing about that says sportsman in my book.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.