24 Acre Prescribed Burn

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by deep woods goat hunter, Apr 14, 2018.

1. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Burned 24 acres of 20 year old CRP. Probably hasn’t seen fire in that long also. Only found one small shed but going to look more after a rain. Hopefully the turkeys find it and use it next week.

2. t-tomshooter

t-tomshooter Senior Member

Apr 17, 2010
    deer county
    awesome stuff man! i think i will be shed hunting tomorrow afternoon as well, good luck bud

3. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    YOU NEED TO HIT IT WITH A GOOD DOZE OF ROUNDUP after it greens up to sit back the alien cool season grass.There is lots of good seed in the bank that would reward.

4. RETEP A

RETEP A Trying to do something

Apr 15, 2018
    First time I saw anything like this. Interesting.

5. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    They lit up all the CRP on my farm last week. I can't wait to get up to look for sheds. It's gonna be today or tomorrow after turkey hunting.

6. DPx2

DPx2 Psalm 31:6

Jul 5, 2009
    Did you contract it out to someone? What's the going rate?

Is this something my PLC can provide names for or how did you find them?

7. limbhanger28

limbhanger28 Active Member

Feb 6, 2008
    southwest Missouri
    I agree with hazelvillebucks. That place could look amazing after a dose of glyphosate. As long as you said it's went without treatment, it'll probably be rank enough you need a second burn and treat, but the flush of forbs and native grasses that will come on is going to amaze you.

8. techteacher

techteacher Land buying addiction Lifetime Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Troy,
    The guy who is going to farm it did it as part of the contract.

DPx2 likes this.
  9. Nate79

Nate79 Active Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Nice burn, I’ll be doing that on a lot of our ground next year.

10. 90acres

90acres The good ole days

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    Yes your PLC can give you names and provide cost share on contracted burns.

DPx2 likes this.
  11. hazelvillebucks

Oct 28, 2014
    make sure your fire department is paid up.

12. Nate79

Nate79 Active Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Yep. I made a healthy donation after a fire got loose one year. Looked like a crime scene, must’ve had three counties there.

13. hazelvillebucks

Oct 28, 2014
    when i first got my farm the fire department never got in touch and i failed to find them. after 4 years i was burning timber and had mowed fire breaks in some grass land. It was one of those days where i could not get the fire going in the timber. I WAS PLANING ON WORKING THE GROUND BEFOR I BURNT IN THE GRASS LAND BUT SINCE THINGS WERE SO HARD TO BURN I DECIDED TO BURN BETWEEN MOWED PATHS FOR A GGOD FIRE LANE.
    When they talk fire control there is emphasis on humidity. It just happemened that right when i lit that fire the day finally dried out. when it became apparent that the escaped fire was headed for a neighbor i called for someone with just a little equipment to out the dang thing out.
    I BOUGHT THE HOG THAT YEAR FOR THE FIRE DEPARTMENT HOG ROAST. The heat that reeds canary or native grass can produce is increadable.FIRE PRODUCES ITS OWN ATMOSPHERE AND IT CAN HUMBLE ONE IN A MOMENT.
    I DO NOT OFTEN BURN TIMBER JUST BECAUSE I CAN COME BACK A WEEK LATER AND FIND IT HAS COME OUT OF A HOLLOW TREE.Sparks in a high wind can really travel a long way.

14. Nate79

Nate79 Active Member

Jul 7, 2014
    Sparks in a hollow tree got me a day later, that’s for real there. Native grasses are a really hot fuel, I mow/disk 10-12 foot wide breaks and have still seen fire jump across that by heat alone. Got to be careful.

15. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    I’ve had very very good luck thus far with disced fire breaks. My typical rule of thumb has been to always spend 4x as much time preparing fire breaks as you expect the actual fire to take and you will be served well in my experience. The more dirt showing the better obviously. Saturday I bet we drug the disc over it 7-8 times after I scalped it with Bush hog.

letemgrow likes this.
  16. Nate79

Nate79 Active Member

Jul 7, 2014
    If you have a thick stand of native grasses I’ve learned to also mow off 12 foot next to the fire break. That stuff can burn so hot that grass across the break will combust from heat. Ask me how I know that one LOL.

17. deep woods goat hunter

Jul 6, 2004
    Moberly, MO
    Yes intensity reduction strips leading up the the disc line is critical when you are dealing with large amount of fuel

18. hazelvillebucks

Oct 28, 2014
    on planned burns i start in the spring reconditioning the burn lines and planting wheat in them in the fall.THOSE HILLSIDE THAT PRODUCE THE TORNADOES OF FLAME CAN GET AWAY IN DIRECTS ONE WOULD NEVER DREAM OF. FIRE HUMBLES.
    I was coming in from work one spring day . a day with zero wind and saw smoke in a lot of places. from over 20 miles away i saw a big fire , at it got closer it looked to be in my neighbor hood.it was on a close by neighbor , the conditions that day said it was a great day to urn but later in the day the humidity level crossed that line between control and raging fer no. THE NEIGHBOR THAT DAY BURNT 270 OF A 240 ACRE FARM AND DID NOT BURN THE HOUSE DOWN.

19. hazelvillebucks

Oct 28, 2014
    WHEN a fire gets going and creates its own atmosphere the wind can change directions . THE VORTEX THAT OCCUR CAN TAKE BURNING EBBERS WAY UP INTO THE SKY.WHEN PLANING A FIRE YOU NEED SECONDARY ETC PLANS BEFORE YOU HAVE TO MAKE A CALL.When you make a call it is good to still have a plan to control it.A DISC DOES NO GOOD ON TALL WARM SEASON GRASS . FIRE CAN DISH OUT MORE PLAN BREAKERS THEN I HAVE SEEN, I HOPE I NEVER DO SEE THEM.