Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
16,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So......I got myself an ar pistol. I've got plenty of 55 and 65 grain play ammo. What ammo should I use to kill a deer?

·
Former Chicken Man
20,113 Posts
I used Herters hollow points, but I also bought some Remington Core-Lokt. I haven't gotten to use that yet though.

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,465 Posts
Yeah, can't seem to find any hunting ammo
I've got a buddy that reloads for me. In my MP-15 he loads up either ballistic tips for coyotes, or Hornady SST. I can see if he can make you a batch up if you'd like.

Reactions: 90acres

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
16,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heaviest I'm seeing is 77 grain. I was under the assumption that I would need something in the 90 ish range for better hunting results?

@jawesome357 that would be great.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
What twist barrel do you have on that AR pistol no one asked that along with length of barrel because that really determines a lot of accuracy issues you may run into!! Just my opinion we shoot 77 grn sierra matchkings in Wylde chambered ARs that are 1:8 twist and it is one of the most accurate rounds we found and that is over a 24 inch bull barrel(Wilson air gauged) so many things play into wanting a hunting bullet for an AR pistol!! More kinetic energy from a heavier bullet that can't hit the broadside of a barn is useless!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I shoot federal fusion 62grn through a 11.5in BCM ar pistol. I've only killed one with the combo, but it was an easy recovery from a 40yd shot. I limit shots to not much more than 100yds...

·
8,793 Posts
62 gr Barnes tipped. Works great and will hold together.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I've got a buddy that reloads for me. In my MP-15 he loads up either ballistic tips for coyotes, or Hornady SST. I can see if he can make you a batch up if you'd like.
Be cautious. There are federal regs regarding the sale of handloads. Not to mention liability issues if you get a kaboom. To build and sell, a Fed manufacturers lic is needed. Know and trust who you are doing business with. Your life could depend on it

·
Slayer of $$$ Birds
7,465 Posts
Be cautious. There are federal regs regarding the sale of handloads. Not to mention liability issues if you get a kaboom. To build and sell, a Fed manufacturers lic is needed. Know and trust who you are doing business with. Your life could depend on it
No buying and selling done here 👍

I've shot his bullets for several years now and they've all done outstanding.

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
16,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What twist barrel do you have on that AR pistol no one asked that along with length of barrel because that really determines a lot of accuracy issues you may run into!! Just my opinion we shoot 77 grn sierra matchkings in Wylde chambered ARs that are 1:8 twist and it is one of the most accurate rounds we found and that is over a 24 inch bull barrel(Wilson air gauged) so many things play into wanting a hunting bullet for an AR pistol!! More kinetic energy from a heavier bullet that can't hit the broadside of a barn is useless!!
1:7 twist, 7.5" barrel

·
1,922 Posts
What i shoot in my 18" wylde chamber gun too. Hogs were not happy with it View attachment 222111 View attachment 222112
20210304_171633.jpg

·
Registered
31,472 Posts
That is one scary looking rifle rockchucker!

• Love
Reactions: rockchucker
1 - 20 of 25 Posts