20ga Slugs?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by BukWild, Apr 10, 2006.

1. BukWild

BukWild New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    Fenton, MO 63026
    I have a H&R single shot 20ga with a fixed mod choke and just wandered if it would be ok to shoot slugs thru it?

2. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    Sure, shotgun slugs are dead soft, pure lead, and they easily squeeze down to fit any choke, even full chokes (although I wouldn't try them in the new turkey chokes!) DO shoot some before season, to see how your gun shoots them, my nephew's H&R shot them 2 feet high, at 20 yards!

3. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I'm gonna have to try this now with my 20 ga NEF. I was always scared the full choke would cause problems. Good to know!

4. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    I have a 20 ga H&R that I've shot sabots out of. At 25 yards I can keep 4 slugs in a 5" circle if I can hold it steady.

5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I don't know this for a fact but I was told that you shouldn't shoot slugs from a full choked gun. ???? That's just what I heard 40 years ago. Todays shotguns might be the exception. :confused:

6. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I had always heard that too, Mailman. I guess the lead is soft enough to be formed by the choke. I don't know about sabots but I'd say maybe only on the older style rifled slugs?

7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana

Sabots aren't made to shoot out of a smooth barrel, try some of the cheaper Foster type slugs. Usually here in Indiana Wally World 2 or 3 bucks a box. The Sabots are a smaller diameter and bounce in the barrel. The old style slugs are larger and fit the barrel better.