Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,832 Posts
Sure, shotgun slugs are dead soft, pure lead, and they easily squeeze down to fit any choke, even full chokes (although I wouldn't try them in the new turkey chokes!) DO shoot some before season, to see how your gun shoots them, my nephew's H&R shot them 2 feet high, at 20 yards!

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by glennasher1
Sure, shotgun slugs are dead soft, pure lead, and they easily squeeze down to fit any choke, even full chokes (although I wouldn't try them in the new turkey chokes!) DO shoot some before season, to see how your gun shoots them, my nephew's H&R shot them 2 feet high, at 20 yards!
I'm gonna have to try this now with my 20 ga NEF. I was always scared the full choke would cause problems. Good to know!

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
I have a 20 ga H&R that I've shot sabots out of. At 25 yards I can keep 4 slugs in a 5" circle if I can hold it steady.

·
Registered
70,470 Posts
I don't know this for a fact but I was told that you shouldn't shoot slugs from a full choked gun. ???? That's just what I heard 40 years ago. Todays shotguns might be the exception. :confused:

·
5,632 Posts
I had always heard that too, Mailman. I guess the lead is soft enough to be formed by the choke. I don't know about sabots but I'd say maybe only on the older style rifled slugs?

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Originally posted by sand_manms
I have a 20 ga H&R that I've shot sabots out of. At 25 yards I can keep 4 slugs in a 5" circle if I can hold it steady.
Sabots aren't made to shoot out of a smooth barrel, try some of the cheaper Foster type slugs. Usually here in Indiana Wally World 2 or 3 bucks a box. The Sabots are a smaller diameter and bounce in the barrel. The old style slugs are larger and fit the barrel better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.