Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted a Ruger # 1 and I think I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and get one.

May take it up to Nebraska for some Prarie dogging, just need to decide which of these two calibers to go with.

Lets hear the opinions...

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
If you're buying it for PDs, avoid the .22/250, too hard on barrels, long term. .204s are great for PDs, don't heat up the barrels too fast (comparatively speaking) and are cheaper to feed (they burn a quarter less powder). If you don't handload, avoid both .204 and .22/250 and get the .223, there are several sources, like Black Hills and Ultramax, of good, accurate "remanufactured" ammo. This isn't any due to prejudice against the .22/250, it's just good common sense. I HAVE ruined .22/250s in PD patches, I love the cartridge, but it's hard on barrels if you shoot it too quickly (and I defy anyone to shoot slowly in a PD patch:))

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Plus there will be less "jump" on a 204 so with any luck you can watch the PD explode through your scope...which after all is why everyone likes PD shoots.

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by glennasher1
If you're buying it for PDs, avoid the .22/250, too hard on barrels, long term. .204s are great for PDs, don't heat up the barrels too fast (comparatively speaking) and are cheaper to feed (they burn a quarter less powder). If you don't handload, avoid both .204 and .22/250 and get the .223, there are several sources, like Black Hills and Ultramax, of good, accurate "remanufactured" ammo. This isn't any due to prejudice against the .22/250, it's just good common sense. I HAVE ruined .22/250s in PD patches, I love the cartridge, but it's hard on barrels if you shoot it too quickly (and I defy anyone to shoot slowly in a PD patch:))
I do not handload and I really want the #1 stainless /Laminate in a Varmint heavy barrel so I am stuck with 204 or 22/250. I can get the Walnut heavy barrel in .223 but I kind of have my mind made up.

Which is the flatter shooter with the longest range?

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Of those two, I'd get the .204. running the numbers in the program I have, the .204 shoots flatter than anything short of a 40 grain bullet @4600fps in a WSSM. That's as flat as it gets.......
More important than flatness, though, is wind drift, you can adjust the scope for flatness, but wind drift is the real bear biting you in the butt. The little .204 is pretty good here, too. What's more, the minorleague recoil lets you see where the bullet hits, and correct for it, that's a lot harder to do, with a .22/250, since the recoil is usually too much to allow for that.
The .22/250 WILL hit a lot harder, at any distance, since you're throwing a heavier bullet almost as fast, simple physics, there, but it's harder on the barrel, and kicks more. Get the .204, in other words. Ammo cost is the same, if you don't handload, so that is a wash.

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
That must have been a poorly made 22-250 to hurt the barrel.

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by Big John
I don't see Glenn shooting a "poorly made" rifle. MAYBE, just MAYBE, he's right and you're not.

Personally, I wouldn't know. I'm just stirring the pot! :D

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
I love those #1s...can't wait to see some pics of that bad boy!

·
Honey Badger Phat Sack
10,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK - .204 it is. Glennasher always seems to give sound advice on here, we had some discussions before I bought my kimber 1911 I believe. My only downfall is that I could have probably collected 100 guns by now if I didn't always insist on saving up for the good ones.... Oh well, 30 or 35 quality guns will be appreciated by my three boys when they are throwing dirt on me.......

This one has been on my want list for awhile...... Now I just have to start to decide what to put on top of it. I like all my Leupolds, may try something different this time.

PS - Picked up a Tikka T3 Lite in 25-06 week before last, topped it with a VX1-3X9-40. My son has been wanting to graduate from his Marlin 30-30 to a bolt action and I got a great deal at Cabelas. It's not officially his, just letting him use it. He is going to be pumped next weekend when he comes over and we go out to sight it in.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Originally posted by Big John
A couple of Savages and a Winchester, BJ. You figure it out. I know the answer, I was there.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
don't usually get into the pot but sat the p-dog field and witnessed the .204's this year and WOW. i am sold on them and now have a savage model 12 in that round. the 250 still has it's spot but once you put the two together i can definately see why a .204 would win the battle. i love both calibers and both have their spot in my cabinet but if i had to choose only one then the .204 would be it.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Washmo, i envy you. the ruger #1 has been on my wish list now for awhile, and probably will stay there for a spell unless i can trade with a guy for one. let me know how it shoots.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.