Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Mt Sterling, Mo
5,268 Posts
Exactly like the title says. Post up your best Crossbow kills of the year here.

At end of the archery season, Expert panel of Judges will judge the best crossbow kill of the year, and the winner will be awarded a 5 Cigar pack of Callaojoe's favorite smokes. It will be a selection of CAO, Alec Bradley, Rocky Patel, etc.... These are all quality smokes, something you can enjoy while admiring your fine archery kill.

Quality Picture will help your odds of winning.

For advice on how to take good harvest pics, please see this thread.

Let's see those Archery kills ladies and gentlemen!!

RULES

1. Only Archery Deer can be entered.
2. Crossbow must be in the Photo.
3. Judges have final say in any dissent, beetching, whining, or otherwise just being a jerk about the results.

Examples of acceptable photo's.

View attachment 233511 View attachment 233512
Cant say ive ever had an Alec Bradley in Maxxx ..or Alec Bradley in anything ,,,Cant even say ive heard of them ,,,,,,,,,,Do have a high score i see............There are so many diffferent brands these days its hard keeping up .........Drew estate owns mulitiple brands etc .....Where do you purchase your Wares Joe ? Mailorder or local ? Cigar international ...JR ?

·
Super Moderator
26,897 Posts
If you had read all the relevant information, you would have seen that 20' and Letemgrow are judges. It's a 3 panel non-partisan panel of judges.
BTW, and in all sedriousness Kurt, when it came time to get the "true" hero pic of this kill, I did take my time and tried to get it right. :D Still one of the best days of deer hunting I've ever experienced.
View attachment 233708
View attachment 233707
those are good pictures and looks to be an awesome Mulie!!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Cant say ive ever had an Alec Bradley in Maxxx ..or Alec Bradley in anything ,,,Cant even say ive heard of them ,,,,,,,,,,Do have a high score i see............There are so many diffferent brands these days its hard keeping up .........Drew estate owns mulitiple brands etc .....Where do you purchase your Wares Joe ? Mailorder or local ? Cigar international ...JR ?
I buy a lot from Best Cigars Prices dot com. they have a bonus program, and will have really good freebie add ons from time to time. Father's day for instance, they had an Alex Bradley special deal, you got 15 cigar sampler of their cigars, free with purchase of a box. I checked them out, and all 15 were $5-10 a stick, and it let me try some I maybe never would have. That's where I got my first Maxx, it was good so I ordered a box, and got more freebies.... I now have about 10 different ones that I like, so I pay attention to when they are on sale, etc.... Often you can get free shipping, and they ship fast.

Reactions: kgdog

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
That Bittercreek WMA is one of the best places I've been for spot and stalk muleys..... I hear there is an outfitter that has all but leased up the ground that surrounds the place, and it's all but impossible to hunt without booking them for a hunt. That's a shame, as it was one of the cooler places to hunt, not vehichles allowed though, so be prepared to lay some boot leather down.... :D
I think my phone tallied 9.5 miles to that point for the day. I've mentioned that to elk hunters and they will tell you that 9 miles in a day is a cakewalk. I'd bet that is correct.
It is neat country though.
That day was the first time I have ever encountered a porcupine in the wild. We were walking along and I walked by what I thought was a bush or something and was wondering what kind of plant it was before I realize what it was. I think you guys told me to watch out for the porcupine at the same time.
By the end of the trip, seeing them was old hat. Nasty buggers.
Part of the fun for OOS trips is seeing country and critters you dont see here. I dont mind a bit paying an outfitter for an experience like that, and with a camp full of buddies it was all that much more fun.
I still contend that the last time I went to wyoming with @archer66 , @bowhuntKS and his dad, who is hilarious, @BigJake and greggers was the funnest OOS trip I was ever on. GREAT group of guys in that camp. Cannot believe its been almost 10 years ago now.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Beings it’s basically the exact same thing I think you should allow .308 kills into the competition
I guess, as long as the crossbow is in the pic, and you claim it as a crossbow kill. My rules and MDC's do not necessarily reflect each other. :D

See the rules, learn them, know them, live by them. :D

Reactions: hesseu

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I guess, as long as the crossbow is in the pic, and you claim it as a crossbow kill. My rules and MDC's do not necessarily reflect each other. :D

See the rules, learn them, know them, live by them. :D
Or just use the .308 during firearms portion,basically handicap yourself back to the stone ages. Def should count towards this contest

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Or just use the .308 during firearms portion,basically handicap yourself back to the stone ages. Def should count towards this contest
Ahem.... THIS IS AN ARCHERY CONTEST...... :D

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
From MDC Website, I think we had a lesson on how to interpret this yesterday...... :unsure:

For the purpose of this competition, we are concentrating on the crossbow method of Archery. If you want to start a traditional, compound or atlatl competition, that's up to you. :D

Deer: Archery
  • September 15, 2022 to November 11, 2022
  • November 23, 2022 to January 15, 2023
Hours
One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset
Notes
An antler-point restriction applies in some counties.
Limits
Valid Permits
Allowed & Prohibited Methods

Deer: Archery Allowed

Methods
Longbows, compound bows, and recurve bows of any draw weight
Crossbows
Hand-held string-releasing devices
Illuminated sights, scopes, and quickpoint sights
Atlatls

Reactions: 90acres

·
Super Moderator
26,897 Posts
BTW, helped a couple buddies zeroing in their Ravin 500's yesterday. BOY OH BOY THOSE SURE ARE HEAVY AND CUMBERSOME TO MANUEVER.....WHATEVER! HOWEVER, THOSE LITTLE THINGS ARE SLICK AND EASY TO SWING AROUND FROM A SEATED OR STANDING POSITION. The ability to shoot off-hand is a nice plus as well! I could understand the concern for a rest if hunter is taking LONG shots, but otherwise 40 yards and in no problem. Honestly, it is incredible how narrow and compact they are when not ****ed and even far more streamline when ****ed. I have shot xguns before from hunting stands and otherwise (never really thought they were tough to manuever, definitely different than shooting or carrying a vertical bow, but most would expect that seeing how they are not bow/archery equipment), but with these newer ones getting lighter and smaller I can see why the gun hunter that had zero interest in archery hunting (prior to full xgun inclusion) would be giddy as eff to be able to utilize such a capable weapon during the archery season!

good luck in the contest fellas!

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
BTW, helped a couple buddies zeroing in their Ravin 500's yesterday. BOY OH BOY THOSE SURE ARE HEAVY AND CUMBERSOME TO MANUEVER.....WHATEVER! HOWEVER, THOSE LITTLE THINGS ARE SLICK AND EASY TO SWING AROUND FROM A SEATED OR STANDING POSITION. The ability to shoot off-hand is a nice plus as well! I could understand the concern for a rest if hunter is taking LONG shots, but otherwise 40 yards and in no problem. Honestly, it is incredible how narrow and compact they are when not ****ed and even far more streamline when ****ed. I have shot xguns before from hunting stands and otherwise (never really thought they were tough to manuever, definitely different than shooting or carrying a vertical bow, but most would expect that seeing how they are not bow/archery equipment), but with these newer ones getting lighter and smaller I can see why the gun hunter that had zero interest in archery hunting (prior to full xgun inclusion) would be giddy as eff to be able to utilize such a capable weapon during the archery season!

good luck in the contest fellas!
And everyone has one of these brand new compact crossbows?

You sound like Buttigeg... just buy an electric car for 65K. :D :D

I can tell you that the crossbow I have is FAR from light, slick, easy to swing around. And I'm not buying a 2K crossgun.

Reactions: 90acres

·
Former Leader in Warning points!
10,876 Posts

I can tell you that the crossbow I have is FAR from light, slick, easy to swing around. And I'm not buying a 2K crossgun.
I have a fairly cheap crossbow and it IS light slick and easy to carry. That’s part of why I use it. It is even easier to shoot. No rest needed out to 40 yards, sure doesn’t hurt though because there is no such thing as too precise. You know what? That’s perfectly okay. I bow hunted with a compound for 20 years before they legalized crossbows and a couple more after they were legal. Ultimately I decided that it was an easier, more efficient weapon and decided to switch. Thank you MDC!

To those who can’t seem to accept that they are legal for everyone, that’s just too bad. You all look like whiny b!tches.

·
Under appreciated
92,619 Posts
I have a fairly cheap crossbow and it IS light slick and easy to carry. That’s part of why I use it. It is even easier to shoot. No rest needed out to 40 yards, sure doesn’t hurt though because there is no such thing as too precise. You know what? That’s perfectly okay. I bow hunted with a compound for 20 years before they legalized crossbows and a couple more after they were legal. Ultimately I decided that it was an easier, more efficient weapon and decided to switch. Thank you MDC!

To those who can’t seem to accept that they are legal for everyone, that’s just too bad. You all look like whiny b!tches.
And good for you I say. What you hunt with matters not to me, and doesnt affect me in the least, no more than a person using a 458 Lott rather than a .243.

I may break down and buy a more convenient crossbow at some point but for now, the one I have is a boat anchor. Its accurate, it works, its a nice crossbow, it just weighs 7# more than my compound and feels like handling a taxidermied pterodactyl crossed with a hand grenade.

·
Registered
32,872 Posts
20' sounds like a whining liberal when he talks about crossbows.

Reactions: Johnny and 90acres

·
Super Moderator
26,897 Posts

judging from what I see at Denny Dennis you don't need to spend all that much for lighter and streamline/compact xgun. The technology will keep getting better and even better, heck they already have over under xguns now:)

lets see those field shots fellas, good luck and post up to have a shot to win those cigars!

·
Super Moderator
26,897 Posts

WOW, very and I mean VERY refreshing Bluecan, finally some honesty from someone using one, extremely rare!!!! Not that it matters, but I have always said I have zero issue with hunters that were willing participants archery hunting (pre-inclusion) utilizing them!!!! I hope you kill a giant and take an amazing photo with it and enter it here!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,897 Posts

absolutely amazing post!!!!!! no whiny liars spinning the xgun ease!

101 - 120 of 144 Posts