2018 Missouri Trout Supply

Discussion in 'Trout & Fly Fishing' started by Rack_Hunter, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Rack_Hunter

Rack_Hunter Sensitivity Aficionado

Has anyone seen any extra trout, maybe 240K or more to stock Roaring River next year. By my estimate, the runways at Roaring River will be completely empty on Nov 1 and there is nothing else there besides the fry in the hatchery. IDK if the flood washed them out or what. We didn't go up to the hatchery in August.

I know there are hatcheries at Taneycomo and Bennett, plus the Federal hatchery at Neosho.

2. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    If everybody didn't insist on keeping every 10" fish they caught this wouldn't be an issue. The watercress is better to eat anyways..

manitou1 and archer66 like this.

3. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    I very rarely keep trout. I'd much rather catch em and throw em back than eat them most of the time.

4. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Most folks keep 4 every day they fish the parks. Most of my friends don't keep any at all. Problem is getting an accurate count on fish in the steam. I'm sure somebody will help them out. That's why MO has all the trout hatcheries. Sooner or later they'll all need help. Bennett appears to be in great shape for a couple years so far.

5. Sully

Sully Bait Plotter Extraordinar

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    I like floating the Niangua and I keep the fish outside the park area ...first time I took Pink into the park ( I like to go through the fly shop ) she was amazed at all the people in the park and it was all about trout fishing. I told her it was like that all spring and summer. She said there is no way ( Bennett ) was not a money maker and we should start our own Trout park !

All I'm lacking is a huge spring ! :D

I'm sure all those parks are more then self supporting and the MDC will not let those cash cows run short of fish !

fishshooter and Clucker like this.
  6. NoLuck

NoLuck Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Mehlville,MO
    Sully, if you would've paid attention to the way Bennett's hatchery was run before the current guy took over you'd have thought that they were on their last dime. The new guy has it together and has made huge improvements to the fishing. The amount of people coming back to fish again is the indicator of how well of a job he is doing.

As long as they don't get a major event that destroys the current line a stock of fish they'll be in real good shape. But, it could happen.

7. Rack_Hunter

Dogwood Canyon, BPS private trout stream and other activities got so torn up by the May flooding that it still hadn't reopened in August. Sully it may be for sale!!

8. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    I'll ask Pink if she is looking for a " Fixer upper "

9. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    She keeps you busy enough already I wouldn't dare ask

10. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Catch and compare the flesh of a hatchery trout to one that has lived in one of our rivers for at least a year or two. It's like comparing a McDonalds fish patty to a filet from a wild salmon. I almost never keep a trout for food, I prefer walleye, crappie, bass, catfish....

11. Rack_Hunter

That's what I was hoping to hear NoLuck is that all other hatcheries are at full capacity. I have never seen the Roaring River hatchery so empty and I hope they can keep stocking decent sized trout. The "river" was full on nice fish in March and in great shape for catch and release.

12. Rack_Hunter

Thank you captain obvious, but did you ever consider 5 star restaurants across America serve the same trout park trout?

13. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I've caught, cleaned and cooked plenty of trout from Taneycomo that had white and very pink flesh and I couldn't tell much of a difference between the two. The pink flesh had a little stronger taste, but it still wasn't anything like salmon. Trout is the only fish I prefer baked with olive oil and old bay over fried.

14. Rack_Hunter

You need to try baked salmon. The trout at Roaring River have pink meat now and I don't know why. The meat looks like the native trout I have caught in Yellowstone, but I can't tell any difference in the taste.

15. seth_turner_04

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I love salmon both cooked and raw in sushi and sashimi. One of the best things I ever had was some grilled sockeye salmon that my high school baseball coach had caught and brought back from Alaska. He marinated it in wasabi teriyaki for a while and then grilled it. After it was finished, we drizzled a little more of that wasabi teriyaki over it and put it on a bed of good rice. That stuff was unreal!

16. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Your welcome. Good for them, I won't eat it there either.

17. Rack_Hunter

Did he grill it on foil or directly on the rack?
    Do you have the recipe for the marinade? Some of the 15" trout I catch look grillable. That 18" definitely was, but I would much rather see someone else enjoy catching it.

18. Sully

Aug 28, 2007
    Truman lake , MO
    Yep that's why you know I wouldn't ask ... She would be behind the cash register and you know who would be doing the fixing !

19. seth_turner_04

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    I think they did it directly on the grill. It has been a while, but I seem to remember it having grill marks. As for the sauce, they just buy it in gallon jugs. I'm not sure where they get it though. Our Walmart doesn't carry it, I do know that.

20. Rack_Hunter

What's old bay?