2017 Missouri Deer Forecast

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by MeatHunter, Sep 21, 2017.

1. MeatHunter

MeatHunter Just Livin' The Dream!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    My main area of interest...........and it says exactly what I have said for the areas with no APR's anymore............

CENTRAL REGION

Much of this area is part of a CWD zone, therefore the Antler Point Restrictions have been removed.

“The deer population in this region has declined in recent years, primarily from outbreaks of HD, but deer numbers are starting to rebound,” Keller said. “And we saw an increase in antlered buck harvest last year because of no APRs.”

According to Keller, the highest deer densities in this region are found in Osage and Gasconade counties, while lower densities are found in Boone, Cole and Moniteau counties.

Read more: http://www.gameandfishmag.com/uncategorized/2017-missouri-deer-forecast/#ixzz4tKBZWH7M

2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009

It should say " we saw an increase in antlered buck harvest last year due to many factors, but we are assuming much of it was due to APRS. We really have no way to assign causation to the increase in kills"

You will NEVER see an MDC official blame even one additional deer harvest due to crossbows... just wont happen.

3. MeatHunter

Dec 7, 2011
    LOL! I have to admit.......I did highlight that comment with you in mind........ :D

Hawk.......I get what you're saying but........think about when you check your deer........you designate "Antler Buck".........and then it asks how many points............I believe it's reasonable that they could conclude whether it was due to dropped APR's in those counties.......... ;)

4. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    They didn't seem to use that info in the previously dropped counties. They used the tooth aging data.

Besides, they only ask how many "TOTAL POINTS" the deer has. Not much can be drawn from that as far as whether or not the deer met aprs. 4 total points could be a big 8 with one side missing, 2 points could be a broke off buck that had less than 3 inches left on each side. If they asked how many points the deer had on the side with the most points you could probably draw some conclusions...

5. MeatHunter

Dec 7, 2011
    LOL! Maybe you're right.........but........maybe not.........I sure did see a lot of Bucks that would not have been legal under APR's last year......... :D

6. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    There probably were some, but there would have been quite a few less without crossbows.

And keep in mind, Im not saying crossbows are bad or shouldn't be allowed, just that harvest of bucks will go up and a higher percentage will be killed with them than without them, unless offsets are made in other regulations.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  7. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Didn't they go to the mass measurement when checking bucks last year to give some indication if a buck was a 1 1/2 ?

8. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    That wouldn't tell them anything about an increase since it hadn't been done in prior years.

9. MeatHunter

Dec 7, 2011
    Not disagreeing.....I'm sure there were a number of non APR Bucks and Bucks overall killed by crossbows..........but.........there's no way to know how many of those kills would have just been in rifle season instead if crossbows were not allowed........ :D

And there were a lot of them around Central MO........in a LOT of hunters the mindset has turned back to protecting the Does in order to increase numbers........and apparently, it's working to an extent by what's written in this article.

callaojoe likes this.
  10. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Some may have been, but its hard to argue that actually adding hunters and tags and hunting time didn't get more bucks killed than just the average number that would have died normally in firearms season...

Whats even more funny is when people (not you) understand this compensatory harvest concept for deer, but are oblivious when it comes to turkeys... :rofl::rofl:

11. henry

You must mean like all the turkeys killed during the archery turkey season that would have been killed during the firearms tur,,,,,, wait a minute. There isn't an archery turkey season. Never mind. :rolleyes:

12. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Quoting meathunter and responding to me doesnt make it better. Listen to rat. He knows whats best for you.

And fyi, there is an archery turkey season

13. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Imagine that, just as I suspected..... Unless of course "no APRs" is some sort of code for addition of xbows to archery season..... :D

14. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    They have no proof of that. Its just the company line dictated by the director. Its unscientific rubbish.

15. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Ah right, typical Hawk, if an expert says something that he disagrees with, they are a company schill, and don't know what they are talking about...... Some things never change. :tup:

16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    BTW, wouldn't they have proof of this, if they counted the number of sub 7 point deer killed in counties that the year before had APR's? Or does that just make too much sense? :wave1:

17. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Theres proof of this. Their stated process was that they woukd determine the impact after the surveys were done and analyzed. That hasnt happened as if the writing of that article. So, yes, they are pre determining the outcome based on how they want it to be, not what they determined thru their process.

18. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    No.

19. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Yes

Sully likes this.
  20. henry

Of course. Especially when they weren't legal in the previous years. It's kind of a no brainier. o_O