2017 CVA Accura MR and PR rifles - iron sights?

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Curtis, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    I was at Cabelas today looking at these rifles. The front of the barrel was drilled and tapped for a front sight. I did not see rear holes but assumed they were under the scope mount.

I get home to research and find CVA states iron sights are not even compatible with the Accura MR and PR o_O

Needless to say I am confused. I have an email out to CVA so I'm hoping they respond to my inquiry.

In the meantime, can someone here clarify?

I understand in the past they were drilled and tapped and then a couple years ago they stopped. I'm wondering if they started again for their 2017 rifles.

Thanks

2. thux

thux New Member

Feb 19, 2016
    This might not help much much but I just bought a CVA wolf with iron sights and they had the scope mounts drilled and tapped already. I'm not sure the other way around.

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I checked CV Accura's website and found this list of specs on the Accura:

specs
    • 416 Stainless Steel 30" (LR), 27” (V2) or 25" (MR) Fluted BERGARA BARREL™
    • w/Bullet Guiding Muzzle™ with 1:28” Twist Rifling
    • Nitride treated stainless steel barrel on select versions of the LR, V2, and MR
    • QRBP - Quick Release Breech Plug
    • DuraSight® DEAD-ON™ One- Piece Scope Mount (LR, MR & V2) or Fiber Optic Sights (V2 only)
    • Ambidextrous Composite Stock in Standard or Thumbhole (V2 only)
    • CrushZone® Recoil Pad
    • Quake® Claw® Sling
    • Solid Aluminum PalmSaver™ Ramrod
    • Solid Aluminum PalmSaver™ Ramrod
    • Cocking Spur
    • Drilled and Tapped for Scope Mounts
    • 45" Overall Length (LR), 42” Overall Length (V2), 40" Overall Length (MR)
    • 8.1 lbs Total Weight (LR), 7.3 lbs. Total Weight (V2), 6.35 lbs. Total Weight (MR)
    • 14.5” Length of Pull
    • Lifetime Warranty

• The fifth point says open sights are only available for the V2 model only so I'm guessing someone took off the open sights and installed the scope mount on the rifle you looked at. I will add that some states do not allow scopes on their muzzle loader rifles with Colorado being one of them that I know of.
    https://cva.com/product/accura-v2-stainless-steel-with-camo-stocks-and-scope-mount/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  4. Stonewall1

Stonewall1 Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I’m pretty sure all the bergara barrels are like that. I have a brand new accura mr and I wish it came with a screw to fill that hole because it’s the only spot on the rifle that rust. I have a scope on mine so I’m not concerned about iron sights but you would think there would be a screw there instead of an empty hole. Other than that it’s a great rifle.

5. 90acres

90acres Senior Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Wardsville
    My daughter just bought a new one about a month ago with iron sights. It was predrilled for scope mount.

6. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    Thanks all. Here's the official word from CVA:

"Those are barrels that were drilled and tapped accidentally. There is no issue with the rifle but you won't be able to see the sights if you install them onto the rifle. The buttstock has too high of a comb to see the sights."

I'll pass on this rifle as I wanted the option to use open sights. IMO these particular "accidental" rifles shouldn't have reached the public, particularly at their pricepoint. o_O

7. GMB54-120

GMB54-120 Active Member

Jul 17, 2011
    NECG makes a peep site that installs on a Weaver type base. It might be high enough for the MR stock but then you would need to check with Williams for a front sight that is high enough too.
    [​IMG]

On a side note you could just get a Optima V2. Its almost as light as a MR but has a slightly longer barrel. The plain SS/Black is only around $250-$270

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Mailman likes this.
  8. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    Yep, I think I'm going that route now

9. Stonewall1, I have an Optima V2 that is drilled for both irons and the scope mount. I use a scope and took off the iron sights. I called CVA and they sent the little studs that fill the iron sight holes for free. I packed the holes with grease before screwing them in, it is a stainless barrel but if water seeped under the little plugs while cleaning I did not want it to cause a rust problem. Give CVA a call, they might send you some hole studs too.

10. Stonewall1

Stonewall1 Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I will give them a call, thanks for the info.

11. Stonewall1, I also ordered a couple of hammer springs from CVA, they can get rusty and I wanted to put in a fresh one and have a spare. That might have caused them to send the hole studs for free. It was a few years ago, I don't remember if I did this with that order or made a separate call. At any rate, they could not cost much anyway.