2017-18 Barn Photo

Discussion in 'Trapping/Furbearing' started by Timo, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Actually It should be closer to 100%

Doing some pondering of this myself. One guy here killed 38 yotes off 700 acres... They had to be filling back in quickly for that to take place IMO.

2. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008

I understand the research, and that killing 1 or 3 or 5 doesn't help anything. But getting 50 off of 2 farms in 1 season, has to start impacting even the transient population.

3. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    When you are talking about transients operating on scales larger than counties and being replaced each year by production it wont. Yes. 2-1=2, but 50,000-50 isnt really an issue. Think duck parks. Those places kill 200-300 birds a day at times, yet the population at the park never moves, at least not noticeably...

4. 421sd

421sd Part-time malcontent

Dec 23, 2012
    Ozarks Plateau
    Off the rails again. Good job.

Mailman likes this.
  5. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

50 off 2 farms here and 38 off another and 60 off a handful more and 40 elsewhere. Next thing you know you have killed 1/2 or more of the yotes and cars, parvo, distemper mange and domestic dogs kill another 10 to 20% and you are Controlling yotes.

6. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    We arent even close to killing 20% of the coyotes in MO. Thats fantasy land.

7. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I think its still on the rails... Hopefully the OP will chime in and tell us what he thinks. It appears he has had similar luck in these same fields over and over...

8. henry

If hawk has his way it will be. Hopefully he caught something from eating all them yotes he killed during deer season this year . He killed a bunch ya know. I'm sure his barns bigger than your barn. :rofl:

9. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    As long as he doesn't leave his barn door open. :eek:

10. henry

If it is I bet all that money he got from selling the bunches of coyotes he shot "because it's fun" will fall out. Lol

11. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Given this post and statement it sounds like they catch about the same amount over and over... Which is indicative of the habitat being refilled fairly quickly.

12. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Some people seem dense enough to not understand that shooting the coyote and leaving it is a lot different than posting a running tab of how many have been killed and then taking a picture of the dead rotting pile of wasted carcasses and posting it online to brag... The general public has FAR LESS problem with what TIMO did than what I just described. TIMO is helping the cause, not hurting it.

13. henry

Dear God. There's some irresponsible maniac bragging about shootin Coyote's and leaving them lay without eating them and selling the fur and utilizing the scat and innards to fertilize veggies. Whoa is me. This is madness. He must be a maniac trying to get our hunting heritage stripped from us. Wafm. Lol

14. henry

Sorry Timo. I won't engage the moron in your thread anymore.

Congrats again on a great season.

15. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I never said I let them lay...

16. farmnhunt

farmnhunt Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2006
    Lebanon
    Good grief, Hawk and Henry we've heard this stuff 4000 times in 40 different threads. Everyone knows how you both think about this. Unless, your just post padding and trying to be annoying, let it go!!!!!

17. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Reading back you will notice that meller and I were having a decent conversation about year to year success on the same properties with coyotes. Henry couldnt help but try to start an argument by saying something ridiculous...

I am very interested to hear from @Timo about year to year coyote trapping success on the same property

18. bigjohn

bigjohn Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Marshall,Mo
    Hawk, I've a location that gave up 12 coyotes the first year and 17 the next. This location isn't acres, it's feet. I always set 3 traps within 20 feet of each other at this location and triples haven't been uncommon.
    Coyotes have no predators other than man in Mo so it's much easier for them to hold their own. Also coyotes are capable of moving greater distances than most of our furbearers. I believe that most of our coyotes are transients also.

19. Eric Rudolf

Eric Rudolf Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Did you trap this winter? I miss your posts.

20. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Good info. Id expect for a good area to produce year after year with transients constantly replacing residents and other transients constantly filtering thru the same travel corridors based on the research Ive read.