2016 KS Rut Journey

Discussion in 'Member Hunting Journals' started by letemgrow, Aug 22, 2016.

1. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

I'm trying, just saw him once last year. Bought another cam to do just that.

In clean this morning, walked when wind picked up and temps r dropping.

2. letemgrow

Now, this is why I love KS. In the exact same spot as the 160" 8 last year. 10 second video clip. I'll be after this buck hard come next week...KS public...gotta love it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUosi3itpyw[/ame]

3. letemgrow

Pulled the trigger on a kayak today while at Scheels. Hard to pass for $99 and now my north wind spot is a reality on the lake.

Going to stay close to the shore in case I tip and have an extra set of clothes in water proof bag on me just in case.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33FcBClKZOo&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33FcBClKZOo&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

4. letemgrow

Picked up from Scheels today!!

It's about to get real...going to try rubber bungee strapping some pool noodles along both edges for stability. Have a few new spots that open up on public with this tool.

ImageUploadedByMissouri Hunting1477425324.130561.jpg

5. MrHunter785

MrHunter785 Active Member

Jun 11, 2015
    If that's one of those one way valve kayaks to drain water then you'll be sitting in water paddling, but they won't sink.

6. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Get some time in that yak before its go time.
    I'd probably tip that thing over first time I used it and I wouldn't want that time to be when I have all my hunting stuff with me. :D

7. KChunter

KChunter Senior Member

Ran into a guy on a KS public spot during turkey season that paddled in in a kayak. No life jacket. In the dark. Fully clothed. And this little lake has lots of stumps. Seems his good idea was missing some critical safety details. Nice guy though. Hope he makes it through another season.

8. letemgrow

Yeah, gotta say I would do none of that. I'm not going in till daylight and packing an extra set of clothes in waterproof bag on my back just in case and a life jacket is a must have. Just tracking the shoreline to my spots and staying as close to the edge and that means less than 5' if possible.

Do not see any reason to ever take that across the lake.

9. letemgrow

The scenario of dumping all my stuff has been played out a few times. Have a plan in place and some practice time has to happen before I would attempt going any distance...not much of a risk taker :wave:

10. letemgrow

There are plugs made for it and I'll make my own if those do not work. First thing is to get the side bars made up for more stability. Going try some pool noodles wrapped together and rubber bungee straps. Practice trying to tip it and see how that does.

11. rangerdvr

rangerdvr Senior Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    You could use PVC and make some outriggers for stability.

12. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters
    I know a guy who kayaks across a lake 2-3 miles to bow hunt, he has a sea kayak and wears a dry suit. His pack and bow are in a dry bag strapped to the kayak behind where he sits. I have seen him heading across the lake in 30mph winds. But he kayaks year round as a work out unless there is ice.

13. letemgrow

That may be what I try if the pool noodles do not work out....lots of stabilizing options.

14. letemgrow

Hope to work up to that at some point. Definitely some areas at Hillsdale I want to check out by crossing the lake in various spots.

15. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    Take one of those marker bouys that are made to mark fishing spots along. Set it in the bottom of the boat ready to uncoil so it will mark the dump spot in case you go in. Make recovery of equipment possible. If you go in, it's hard to keep track of where it happened otherwise.

16. letemgrow

Good idea.

17. letemgrow

It's a long slow walk in tonight being so calm.

18. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

It's too warm to hurry unless you drive.:D

19. rangerdvr

rangerdvr Senior Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    So to clarify, I meant use the PVC and put the noodles around them. Thats how I make my catfish noodles, works well.

20. letemgrow

Zero deer last night. Never like nights where you can hear a pin drop. The leaves falling made a racket all night long and I can imagine deer were listening more than they were moving.

Lots of new rubs found on the way in.