2016-2017 Deer Season Regulations - Public Comment Period

Discussion in 'Missouri Outdoor News' started by Mailman, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Those incentives have always been there. So basically the number of people are the same demographic. They are incentivized only by the weapon and not the season or additional limit, or they would have already been taking part.

The states with the highest participation by crossbow users are states like ohio who have a one buck limit and a late firearms season. Their participation levels by crossbow users are far and above states with earlier firearms seasons and multi buck limits. People like to hunt November and our deer hunters don't have to hunt during archery season in order to do so.

2. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    Mdc says that crossbows wont matter because people only shoot so many deer. If people only shoot so many deer then lowering the antlerless permits from unlimited to 1 per county for the normal resident, or 2 in one county and one in any other county wont impact kill numbers much either. There arent enough people that killed 3 deer with a firearm.

3. henry

I agree. It does mean however the gloom and doom predictors are premature and being that way with far less knowledge and info than the resource people have.

4. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    i am not saying to remove the antler restriction. although it is the individual hunters that make that decision. in the counties where the antler point restriction is removed it s effect will be muted because over time peoples beliefs and attitudes change.what i was pointing out was the fact that the only option for a landowner / hunter/ when they have a sling blade is late season , or to sit on the bench . that is if they wish to follow the rules of the game.with the proposed change , the option is to sit on the bench , or other.

5. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Or, IMO, there are too many that do. :wave:

6. henry

The MDC said "many people will only shoot so many deer" . They have not said all will.

Its a very simple concept except to those who want to perpetuate an argument from thread to thread and month to month.

A percentage of new crossbow hunters if they are successful will then not kill a deer with a firearm because they have all they want or because they become more selective which lowers their likelihood of success.

Then any increase in archery harvest before firearms season will remove deer that would have been harvested during firearms season and reduce the firearms take by some more.

This leads to either a wash or little increase. The harvest numbers from these other states support that. The biologists in these other states support that. :shrug:

7. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Do you know how many people statewide killed more than 2 deer? And then how many killed them in different counties? And then how many were landowners? When you drill down on it its not nearly as many as youd think.

8. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Under the regulations structures from those states, which are different and not comparable to MO.... RIGHT??

9. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    The breakdown don't matter. I'll always be for one buck, and limited doe tags.:wave:

10. hazelvillebucks

hazelvillebucks Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2014
    what i was talking about was one year ago. those things were and have been talked about. last year the season was going to be sit where it could go into thanksgiving holliday, crossbows would be allowed . it was over ridden after it being a done deal.

11. henry

I don't believe that's accurate. Last year was when the process we are talking about now started. Moving the season once again didn't pick up any steam. It probably never will as long as firearms hunters outnumber archery hunters 4 to 1.

12. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Was never a done deal in regards to season timing. I doubt that changes in the next 10 - 15 years here. Maybe never. :wave:

13. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    You're for unlimited doe tags?

14. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    Read again would you? LIMITED doe tags. :wave:

15. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Dont let people mislead you. Here are the approval ratings for the season move. There were loud people at meetings, but only 29% opposed the change. And keep in mind, the data referenced for crossbow support was inly the hunter surveys. They comments from the meetings were never sorted and tallied this time around.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  16. Modeerhunter

Modeerhunter New Member

Mar 7, 2007
    Gasconade County
    BS! Again you go back to paper data and disregard the public input that got the season move shot down. Your inability to perceive just how important those public meetings were lessens any credibility you thought you had. :wave:

17. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Im using the SAME EXACT DATA ised to support crossbow inclusion. If they were that inportant they would have tallied the comments this time around also.

Im going off of what was relayed to me at one of the meetings this spring, and that was that the public support was there, but the politics within the MDC wouldnt allow the change. Again, call and verify if youd like.

18. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    The only progress we have made is that hawk found two more unique people to argue with.
    Not sure how much that adds up to but probably more than anyone else that should have been banned.

:D

Give it a rest already.

Everyone that is arguing with Hawk.... just tell him he is right and maybe he will go to sleep already.

:D

Your a good sheeet Jeff.

19. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Oh Im sure it will be all my fault even though Im the only one with a lick of data supporting what they are saying..... :rolleyes:

20. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Is it possible that you have simply just been patronized?:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.